How Can I Solve This Contour Integral with a Pole at Zero?

In summary, a contour integral is a type of integral in complex analysis used to calculate the value of a function along a specific curve in the complex plane. They are important in various fields of mathematics and physics, and can be solved using techniques such as Cauchy's integral formula and the residue theorem. Some common applications include solving differential equations and analyzing electric and magnetic fields. Helpful tips for solving contour integrals include carefully choosing the contour and understanding the properties of the function being integrated.
Ana2015
New member warned about not using the homework template
I want to solve this contour integral
$$J(\omega)= \frac{1}{2\pi}\frac{\gamma_i\lambda^2}{(\lambda^2+(\omega_i-\Delta-\omega)^2)} $$
$$N(\omega)=\frac{1}{e^{\frac{-\omega t}{T}}-1}$$

$$\int_0^\infty J(\omega)N(\omega)$$
there are three poles I don't know how I get rid of pole on zero (pole in N(w))
would you please help me?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't look like a convergent integral to me.

For small ω,
$$N(\omega)=\frac{1}{e^{\frac{-\omega t}{T}}-1} \approx \frac{-T}{\omega t}$$

While J(ω) quickly approaches some constant.

Related to How Can I Solve This Contour Integral with a Pole at Zero?

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of integral in complex analysis that is used to calculate the value of a function along a specific curve or contour in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral, but the path of integration is specified by a curve instead of a simple interval.

2. Why do I need to solve a contour integral?

Contour integrals are important in many branches of mathematics and physics, including complex analysis, differential equations, and electromagnetism. They allow us to calculate the value of a function in situations where a regular integral may not be applicable or may be difficult to evaluate.

3. How do I solve a contour integral?

Solving a contour integral involves using techniques from complex analysis, such as Cauchy's integral formula and the residue theorem. It also requires knowledge of basic calculus and complex numbers. It is important to carefully choose the contour and understand the behavior of the function within the contour to successfully solve the integral.

4. What are some common applications of contour integrals?

Contour integrals have numerous applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to solve differential equations, calculate areas and volumes, and evaluate complex functions. In physics, they are used to analyze electric and magnetic fields, as well as in fluid dynamics and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any tips for solving contour integrals?

One helpful tip for solving contour integrals is to choose the contour carefully. This can greatly simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate. It is also important to understand the properties of the function being integrated, such as its poles and singularities, to determine the appropriate technique to use. Practice and familiarity with complex analysis techniques can also greatly aid in solving contour integrals.