Please just check this [Analysis problem]

• Thread starter AKG
  • Start date
In summary, the partial derivatives of the function f(x, y) are D_1f(x, y) = 0 and D_2f(x, y) = g(y)g\left (\int _b ^y g\right ).
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Find the (first-order) partial derivatives of the following function (where g : [itex]\mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is continuous):

[tex]f(x, y) = \int _a ^{\int _b ^y g} g.[/tex]

--------------

I got:

[tex]D_1f(x, y) = 0[/tex]

[tex]D_2f(x, y) = \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\partial }{\partial y} \int _a ^{\int _b ^y g}g[/tex]

Let G be the antiderivative of g:

[tex]= \frac{\partial }{\partial y}\left ( G \left (\int _b ^y g\right ) - G(a) \right )[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\partial }{\partial y} G \left (\int _b ^y g\right )[/tex]

[tex]= \left ( \frac{\partial G \left (\int _b ^y g\right )}{\partial \left (\int _b ^y g\right ) }\right ) \left (\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\int _b ^y g\right )[/tex]

[tex]= g\left (\int _b ^y g\right )\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\left (G(y) - G(b) \right )[/tex]

[tex] = g\left (\int _b ^y g\right )g(y)[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

= g(y)g\left (\int _b ^y g\right )

Therefore, the partial derivative with respect to y is g(y)g\left (\int _b ^y g\right ). The partial derivative with respect to x is 0 because the function does not depend on x.

= g\left (\int _b ^y g\right )\frac{\partial }{\partial y} \left (\int _b ^y g\right )

= g\left (\int _b ^y g\right )g(y)

= g \left (\int _b ^y g\right )g(y)

Therefore, the first-order partial derivative with respect to y is g \left (\int _b ^y g\right )g(y).

What is the purpose of "Please just check this [Analysis problem]"?

The purpose of "Please just check this [Analysis problem]" is to ask for a second opinion or confirmation on a problem or analysis that has been done. This is often done to ensure accuracy and to catch any errors that may have been overlooked.

Why is it important to have someone else check an analysis problem?

Having someone else check an analysis problem is important because it can help catch any errors that may have been overlooked. It also provides a fresh perspective and can lead to new insights or ideas for improvement.

How can I make sure the problem is clearly communicated?

To ensure that the problem is clearly communicated, it is important to provide all relevant information, such as data, methods, and assumptions. It may also be helpful to explain the problem in a step-by-step manner and to use visual aids, such as charts or graphs, to illustrate the problem.

What should I do if the second opinion differs from my initial analysis?

If the second opinion differs from your initial analysis, it is important to carefully consider the feedback and reassess your approach. It may also be helpful to discuss and compare the different analyses with the other person to gain a better understanding of the problem and potential solutions.

How can I use the second opinion to improve my analysis skills?

Using the second opinion to improve your analysis skills can be done by carefully considering the feedback, asking questions, and actively seeking to understand any discrepancies or differences in approaches. It can also be helpful to discuss and learn from the other person's methods and techniques.