Polar Coordinates Homework: Understanding Second Equation

In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to understand how to convert equations from complex notation to polar notation. The attempt at a solution involved writing z_dot = (...)z and plugging in r* exp i theta, but it did not work. The suggestion was to try dividing both sides by e^(iθ) and equating the real and imaginary parts.
rsaad

Homework Statement

In the attachment, I do not understand how we got the second equation in terms of polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing it by writing z_dot = (...)z and then plugging in r* exp i theta, but to no avail.

Attachments

• question.png
    question.png
    57 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
rsaad said:

Homework Statement

In the attachment, I do not understand how we got the second equation in terms of polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing it by writing z_dot = (...)z and then plugging in r* exp i theta, but to no avail.

Show how you tried it. z'=r'e^(iθ)+iθ're^(iθ). Try going straight from the "complex notation" to the "polar notation". Divide both sides by e^(iθ) and equate real and imaginary parts.

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a method of representing points in a 2-dimensional coordinate system using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference line. This is in contrast to the more commonly used Cartesian coordinates, which use the distance from the origin along two perpendicular axes.

2. How do I convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), you can use the following formulas:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)
Note that for θ, you may need to adjust the value based on which quadrant the point is in.

3. What is the second equation in polar coordinates used for?

The second equation in polar coordinates, also known as the polar equation, is used to represent curves and shapes in the polar coordinate system. It relates the distance (r) and angle (θ) values to create a graph in the shape of a spiral or circle.

4. How do I plot points in polar coordinates?

To plot a point in polar coordinates, you will need to use the distance (r) and angle (θ) values to determine the location of the point on the polar grid. Start at the origin, then move r units in the direction of θ. The resulting point will be the plotted point in polar coordinates.

5. How can I use polar coordinates to solve geometry problems?

Polar coordinates can be used to solve geometry problems involving curves and shapes that are difficult to represent using Cartesian coordinates. By using the polar equation and the conversion formulas, you can easily find the distance and angle values for a given point on the curve or shape, making it easier to solve problems involving these types of shapes.