Calculating Electric Field Amplitude of Transmitted Light

In summary, the question asks for the electric field amplitude of a transmitted beam of unpolarized light with an intensity of 30 watts/m^2 passing through a polarizing sheet. Using the equations Ia=Ipcos2\Theta and Ea=Epcos\Theta, and knowing that Ip=Io/2, the solution is sqrt(2)=Ea/Ep. However, to solve for either Ea or Ep, the relationship between light intensity and electric field intensity must be known.
sheepcountme

Homework Statement

A beam of unpolarized light with intensity 30 watts/m^2 passes through a polarizing sheet. What is the electric field amplitude of the transmitted beam?

Homework Equations

Ia=Ipcos2[tex]\Theta[/tex]
Ea=Epcos[tex]\Theta[/tex]
Ip=Io/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the first two equations for cos[tex]\Theta[/tex] and set them equal to each other to get sqrt(Ia/Ip)=Ea/Ep

I know Io is 30, so Ip is 15

So then, I believe I should have sqrt(2)=Ea/Ep and I don't know how to just solve for one without the other...

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to know how the intensity of light is related to the electric field intensity. Look after in your textbook.

ehild

Ah, okay, so scrap all that and use I=(E2)/[tex]mu[/tex]oc

Thanks!

The book apparently likes to put questions at the end of random chapters!

1. How do you calculate the electric field amplitude of transmitted light?

The electric field amplitude of transmitted light can be calculated by multiplying the incident electric field amplitude by the transmission coefficient, which is determined by the optical properties of the medium through which the light is passing.

2. What is the formula for calculating the electric field amplitude of transmitted light?

The formula for calculating the electric field amplitude of transmitted light is: Et = Ei * T, where Et is the transmitted electric field amplitude, Ei is the incident electric field amplitude, and T is the transmission coefficient.

3. What factors can affect the electric field amplitude of transmitted light?

The electric field amplitude of transmitted light can be affected by the wavelength of the light, the refractive index of the medium, and the angle of incidence of the light.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the electric field amplitude of transmitted light?

The angle of incidence can affect the electric field amplitude of transmitted light by changing the path length and the phase difference between the incident and transmitted waves. This can result in changes to the transmission coefficient and therefore the transmitted electric field amplitude.

5. Can the electric field amplitude of transmitted light be greater than the incident electric field amplitude?

No, the electric field amplitude of transmitted light cannot be greater than the incident electric field amplitude. The transmission coefficient is always less than or equal to 1, meaning the transmitted electric field amplitude will always be less than or equal to the incident electric field amplitude.