Positive and negative plane wave solutions of Dirac equation

In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation revolved around the first chapter of Lessons on Particle Physics and the derivation of equations related to the Dirac equation. The solutions ##u^{(3,4)}## were discussed, with clarification on their form and how they relate to antiparticles. The (3,4) superscripts were also explained. The conversation ended with the individual expressing a newfound appreciation for the Dirac equation.
Gene Naden
I continue to be occupied with the first chapter of Lessons on Particle Physics by Luis Anchordoqui and Francis Halzen. The link is https://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0906/0906.1271v2.pdf.

I am on page 24, where they derive equations 1.5.67, which are:
##(\gamma^\mu p_\mu-m)u(p)=0## and
##(\gamma^\mu p_\mu+m)v(p)=0##
Here the plane wave solution is given by equation 1.5.65, which is
##\psi(x)=u(p)e^{-ipx}+v(p)e^{ipx}##

They make the remark "The two negative energy solutions ##u^{(3,4)}## are to be associated with an antiparticle..."

I wondered what the solutions ##u^{(3,4)}## looked like, why there were two of them and what the superscripts (3,4) referred to.

I found a discussion I could understand at https://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node488.html

The (3,4) refer to the third and fourth components of the spinor, which are associated with negative energy by the zero-momentum relation ##(i\gamma^0\partial_t -m)\psi=0##

I think I am beginning to like the Dirac equation (a little bit)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
!Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for sharing your progress with the first chapter of Lessons on Particle Physics. I am glad to hear that you are finding the material interesting and engaging.

Regarding your question about the solutions ##u^{(3,4)}## and the superscripts, I would like to offer some clarification. The solutions ##u^{(3,4)}## refer to the negative energy solutions of the Dirac equation, which are related to the antiparticle solutions as you mentioned. The superscripts (3,4) correspond to the third and fourth components of the spinor, as you correctly found in your research. These components are associated with negative energy by the zero-momentum relation, as you mentioned.

As for what these solutions look like, they are complex-valued spinors that satisfy the Dirac equation. The exact form of these solutions depends on the specific system and conditions being studied. However, in general, these solutions can be thought of as describing the spin and momentum of a particle or antiparticle.

I am glad to hear that you are beginning to appreciate the Dirac equation. It is a fundamental equation in particle physics and has been instrumental in our understanding of the subatomic world. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, specifically fermions, which have half-integer spin. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928.

What are positive and negative plane wave solutions?

Positive and negative plane wave solutions are two possible solutions to the Dirac equation. They represent the wave-like behavior of fermions, where positive solutions represent particles and negative solutions represent antiparticles.

How are positive and negative plane wave solutions related?

The positive and negative plane wave solutions are related through the charge conjugation operator. This operator transforms a positive solution into a negative solution, and vice versa.

What is the significance of positive and negative plane wave solutions?

The positive and negative plane wave solutions of the Dirac equation have significant implications in quantum physics, as they show the existence of antiparticles and help explain various phenomena such as the annihilation of particles and antiparticles.

How are positive and negative plane wave solutions used in practical applications?

Positive and negative plane wave solutions have been used in various practical applications, such as in the development of particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and medical imaging techniques like positron emission tomography (PET). They also play a crucial role in the field of quantum computing.