Positive charge "Q" is distributed uniformly around a semicircle

In summary, the charge Q is distributed uniformly around a semicircle of radius a. Detirmine ##\vec{E}## around at the center of curvature P. Taking a small slide of length dl from the semicircle, the field ##d\vec{E}## due to the charge ##dQ## is ##d\vec{E}=K\frac{dQ}{a^2}\hat{r}##. The Attempt at a Solution Taking a small slide of length dl from the semicircle, the field ##d\vec{E}## due to the charge ##dQ## is ##d\vec{E}=K\frac{dQ}{
squelch
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Positive charge Q is distributed uniformly around a semicircle of radius a. Detirmine ##\vec{E}## around at the center of curvature P.

Homework Equations

$$\vec{E}=K\frac{Q}{r^2}\hat{r}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking a small slide of length dl from the semicircle, the field ##d\vec{E}## due to the charge ##dQ## is ##d\vec{E}=K\frac{dQ}{a^2}\hat{r}##.

Where I'm getting confused is the definition of dQ
$$dQ=\rho*a*d\theta$$

What is ##\rho## meant to represent?

Physics news on Phys.org
I still don't *completely* understand what was meant by ##\rho##, but I see now that ##\lambda## is used a lot in its place. I did the following procedure:

The ##\vec{E}## due to an infinitesimal portion of the semicircle, ##dl=ad\theta## with charge ##dQ## can be shown as:
##d\vec{E}=K\frac{dQ}{a^2}\hat{r}## where ##dQ=\lambda dl=\lambda ad\theta##

The semicircle extends from ##0→\pi## radians, so we can integrate ##d\vec{E}## as

[tex]\vec E = \int_0^\pi {K\frac{{\lambda a}}{{{a^2}}}d\theta } = \frac{{K\lambda }}{a}\int_0^\pi {d\theta = } \frac{{K\lambda }}{a}[\theta ]_0^\pi = \frac{{K\pi \lambda }}{a}[/tex]

Because ##\lambda=\frac{Q}{\theta a}## and in this case ##\theta = \pi## then ##\lambda=\frac{Q}{\pi a}## and:

$$\vec{E}=\frac{KQ}{a^2}$$

Is this procedure sensible?

Do not forget that the electric field is a vector, and the contributions of the line elements are of different directions. One of the components cancel because of symmetry...

ehild

##\rho## is rho and its normally a density of some kind. Here its a charge density and uniform or constant. It varies with theta as youve demonstrated. Lambda and rho are basically the same thing, just variables and can sometimes be used differently in different contexts.

Also, where did ##a## come from?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Also, where did ##a## come from?

##a=r##

So, I had redone the procedure because my answer didn't match other expected answer. Please let me know if this corrected procedure makes sense:

The ##\vec{E}## due to an infintesmal portion of the semicircle, ##dl=ad\theta## with charge ##dQ## is:
##d\vec{E}=K\frac{dQ}{a^2}\hat{a}## where ##dQ=\lambda dl=\lambda ad\theta##

Its components are, therefore,
In X:
$$d\vec{E}_x = d\vec{E}cos\theta d\theta = K\frac{dQ}{i^2}$$
$$\because dQ=\lambda ad\theta$$
$$d\vec{E}_x = \frac{K\lambda}{a}cos\theta d\theta$$
Integrating, we find that:
[tex]{\vec E_x} = \frac{{K\lambda }}{a}\int_0^\pi {\cos \theta d\theta } = \frac{{K\lambda }}{a}[\sin \theta ]_0^\pi = 0\hat{i}[/tex]

In Y:
[tex]d{\vec E_y} = \frac{{K\lambda }}{a}\sin \theta d\theta [/tex]
Integrating, we find that
[tex]{\vec E_y} = \frac{{K\lambda }}{a}\int_0^\pi {\sin \theta d\theta } = \frac{{K\lambda }}{a}[ - \cos \theta ]_0^\pi = \frac{{K\lambda }}{a}[ - 1 - 1] = \frac{{ - 2K\lambda }}{a}[/tex]
##\because \lambda=\frac{Q}{\pi a}##
$$\vec{E}_y=\frac{-2KQ}{\pi a^2}$$

$$\therefore \vec{E}_{total}=\vec{E}_x\hat{i} + \vec{E}_y\hat{j} = \frac{-2KQ}{\pi a^2}\hat{j}$$

It might be correct, but how are the coordinate axes related to the axis of the semicircle?

ehild

The image matches this diagram:

YF-21-096.jpg

It is correct. Nice work and nice figure!

ehild

What is a positive charge?

A positive charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the presence of an excess of protons in an atom or molecule, resulting in an imbalance of positively charged particles.

What is "Q" in relation to positive charge?

"Q" is often used to represent the magnitude of a charge, whether it is positive or negative. It is typically measured in units of Coulombs (C).

What does it mean for a positive charge to be distributed uniformly around a semicircle?

This means that the same amount of positive charge is evenly spread out along the semicircle, resulting in a symmetrical distribution of charge.

What factors can affect the distribution of positive charge around a semicircle?

The factors that can affect the distribution of positive charge around a semicircle include the amount of charge present, the distance between charges, and the shape and size of the semicircle.

What are the applications of understanding positive charge distribution around a semicircle?

Understanding positive charge distribution around a semicircle can be useful in various fields such as electromagnetism, circuit design, and material engineering. It can also help in understanding the behavior of charged particles in certain physical systems.