Possible to take antiderivative of (sin(x)/e^x)dx?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of obtaining an integral using integration by parts and suggests different methods to solve it, such as rewriting the function or carefully choosing the values for u and dv.
swooshfactory

Homework Statement

There is an integral, according to an online integral calculator, but I cannot obtain it by integration by parts. Is there a way to obtain it without it being given to you?

The derivative in question is [sin(x)/e^x]dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply integration by parts until you arrive at an integral that looks like the one you started with.

Add the integral to both sides to "cancel" it on one side. Divide by 2 (or whatever other number is now multiplying your integral on the left side of your equation).

Make sure to carefully pick your u and dv. If you pick the right dv, it'll make the problem a lot easier to do. (time wise, I don't think the algebra changes much)

Or you could rewrite [tex]sinx=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex]. Then you would just have to integrate exponentials...

I get [tex]\frac{cosx+sinx}{-2e^x}[/tex] for zero constant of integration.

You could also write sin(x) as Im{e^(ix)}.

EDIT: beaten by chaoseverlasting

In other words, you want
[tex]\int e^{-x}sin(x)dx[/tex]

I see nothing difficult about that. You can do it by parts either by letting u= e-x and dv= sin(x)dx or by letting u= sin(x) and dv= e-xdx.

You will need to integrate twice and after the second integration by parts you will get back to
[tex]\int e^{-x}sin(x)dx[/itex]
again so you will have an equation to solve for that integral.

1. What is the antiderivative of (sin(x)/e^x)dx?

The antiderivative of (sin(x)/e^x)dx is -cos(x)/e^x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. Is it possible to take the antiderivative of (sin(x)/e^x)dx?

Yes, it is possible to take the antiderivative of (sin(x)/e^x)dx using integration techniques such as integration by parts or substitution.

3. What is the process for finding the antiderivative of (sin(x)/e^x)dx?

The process for finding the antiderivative of (sin(x)/e^x)dx involves using integration techniques, such as integration by parts or substitution, to simplify the expression and then solving for the antiderivative.

4. Can the antiderivative of (sin(x)/e^x)dx be expressed in terms of elementary functions?

Yes, the antiderivative of (sin(x)/e^x)dx can be expressed in terms of elementary functions, such as trigonometric functions and exponential functions.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when finding the antiderivative of (sin(x)/e^x)dx?

One special case to consider when finding the antiderivative of (sin(x)/e^x)dx is when the expression can be simplified using trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity or double angle formulas.