Potential Difference between Two Points affected by a Dipole

In summary, the potential difference along a path starting at location P1 = 0, 0.02, 0 m and ending at location P2 = 0, 0.06, 0 m is -2.08e+3 volts.
Oribe Yasuna

Homework Statement

A dipole is centered at the origin, with its axis along the y axis, so that at locations on the y axis, the electric field due to the dipole is given by
E vector =
leftangle1.gif
0, 1/4πε0 * 2qs/y^3, 0
rightangle1.gif
V/m
The charges making up the dipole are q1 = +6 nC and q2 = -6 nC and the dipole separation is s = 4 mm (see figure below). What is the potential difference along a path starting at location P1 =
leftangle0.gif
0, 0.02, 0
rightangle0.gif
m and ending at location P2 =
leftangle0.gif
0, 0.06, 0
rightangle0.gif
m?

709adee12d.png

Homework Equations

delta V = - integral of i -> f (E vector * delta L vector)

The Attempt at a Solution

delta V = 2qs/4πε0 ( 1/P2^3 - 1/P1^3 ) * 0.04
delta V = 9e+9 * 2(6e-9)(0.004) * ( 1/(0.06)^3 - 1/(0.02)^3 ) * 0.04
delta V = -2.08e+3

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your relevant equations you indicated that finding the potential difference involves integrating the electric field along the path between the points of interest. I don't see you doing that in your solution attempt. It would appear that you're just taking the difference in the field strength at each location and multiplying by the path length.

I wanted to avoid doing an integral and instead get an estimate. I suppose that's an unreasonable expectation, though.

Then, this is the integral I set up:
delta V = integral of 0.02 -> 0.06 [(1 / 4*pi*E0) * (2*6e-9*0.004 / y^3) * (<dx, dy, dz>)]

I know:
delta L = <dx, dy, dz>
delta L = 0.04 m

Does <dx, dy, dz> mean I have to derive delta L? If so, how do I derive a constant without getting 0?

The path indicated is along one direction, and happens to be along one particular axis, so you can ignore the other components. So your "delta L" is just dy.

I suggest that you perform the integration symbolically first, using variables as the limits of the integration. Plug in numbers at the end.

Alright.

Since this is on the y-coordinate I'll exclude the x & z coordinates of the vectors:
delta V = integral of P1 -> P2 (1 / 4 pi E0 * 2 q s / y^3) dy
delta V = 1 / 4 pi E0 * 2 q s * integral of P1 -> P2 (1 / y^3) dy

In this form, the problem seems to become easier than I expected it to be.
If I recall correctly, the integral of 1 / y^3 is:
-1 / 2 y^2

So the integral of 1 / y^3 from P1 to P2 would be:
[ - 1 / 2 (P1)^2 + 1 / 2 (P2)^2 ]

Plugging this back in:
delta V = 1 / 4 pi E0 * 2 q s * (- 1 / 2 P1^2 + 1 / 2 P2^2)

is this correct so far?

Last edited:
I plugged in the numbers and I got -4.8e+2 (-4.8 * 10^2).

The answer was correct.
Thanks for the help, I probably would have over-complicated things without it.

Yes, looking good. Carry on!

Edit: Oops! too late! :smile:

Well done.

Related to Potential Difference between Two Points affected by a Dipole

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. It can be thought of as a positive and negative pole, similar to a magnet.

2. How does a dipole affect the potential difference between two points?

A dipole creates an electric field around it, which can influence the potential difference between two points. The potential difference is the difference in electric potential energy between the two points.

3. In what direction does the potential difference change when a dipole is present?

The potential difference will change in the direction of the electric field created by the dipole. If the electric field points towards the positive pole of the dipole, then the potential difference will increase in that direction. If the electric field points towards the negative pole, then the potential difference will decrease in that direction.

4. How does the distance between the two points affect the potential difference affected by a dipole?

The potential difference between two points is directly proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the potential difference decreases. Therefore, the potential difference affected by a dipole will also decrease as the distance between the two points increases.

5. Can a dipole affect the potential difference in an isolated system?

Yes, a dipole can still affect the potential difference in an isolated system. This is because the dipole creates its own electric field, which can influence the potential difference between two points even in an isolated system.