Pressure difference in decreasing diameter tube

In summary, the flow of helium through a pipe decreases in size from .3 meters to .25 meters. The helium flow is .30 kg/s and the initial pressure is 200 kpa. The difference in pressure across the decreasing section is ΔP.
MonkeyMouse

Homework Statement

Helium at 20°C passes through a pipe with an initial diameter of .3 meters decreasing to .25 meters. The helium flows at .30 kg/s and an initial pressure of 200 kpa. Find the difference in pressure ΔP across the decreasing section. Assume incompressible and inviscid flow.

From known values of helium at 20°C: Density= 0.166 kg/m3, Specific weight= 1.63 N/m3,

Homework Equations

Bernoulli eq: (p1/[itex]\gamma[/itex])+(V12/2g)+Z1=(p2/[itex]\gamma[/itex])+(V22/2g)+Z2

V=Q/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Not a free jet situation.
Z1 and Z2 = 0 due to no elevation change

A1=([itex]\pi[/itex].3m2)/4=.0706m2
A2=([itex]\pi[/itex].25m2)/4=.0491m2

My hang up is when I get to this point, Q=.30 Kg/s and I am unsure how to convert this to m3/s in order to find V1 and V2 in terms of m/s? Also once I have this I am unsure of the unit conversions I would need to return P2 in kpa in order to find the pressure difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
MonkeyMouse said:

Homework Statement

Helium at 20°C passes through a pipe with an initial diameter of .3 meters decreasing to .25 meters. The helium flows at .30 kg/s and an initial pressure of 200 kpa. Find the difference in pressure ΔP across the decreasing section. Assume incompressible and inviscid flow.

From known values of helium at 20°C: Density= 0.166 kg/m3, Specific weight= 1.63 N/m3,

Homework Equations

Bernoulli eq: (p1/[itex]\gamma[/itex])+(V12/2g)+Z1=(p2/[itex]\gamma[/itex])+(V22/2g)+Z2

V=Q/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Not a free jet situation.
Z1 and Z2 = 0 due to no elevation change

A1=([itex]\pi[/itex].3m2)/4=.0706m2
A2=([itex]\pi[/itex].25m2)/4=.0491m2

My hang up is when I get to this point, Q=.30 Kg/s and I am unsure how to convert this to m3/s in order to find V1 and V2 in terms of m/s? Also once I have this I am unsure of the unit conversions I would need to return P2 in kpa in order to find the pressure difference?

You use the continuity relation and assume that the volume of helium flowing into the pipe is the same as the volume flowing out of the pipe. Since the helium is assumed incompressible, the density is constant in the pipe. You know the cross-sectional area of the pipe, so you should be able to calculate the flow velocity of the helium which satisfies the continuity relation thru the pipe.

what if your required to use Bernoullis eq? Would you divide the mass flow by the density for the volumetric flow to solve for velocity?

There for: (0.30kg/s)/(0.166kg/m^3)=1.807m^3/s

Last edited:
MonkeyMouse said:
what if your requied to use Bernoullis eq? would you decide the mass flow by the density for the volumetric flow to solve fir velocity?
Sure. Why not?

MonkeyMouse said:
what if your requied to use Bernoullis eq? would you decide the mass flow by the density for the volumetric flow to solve fir velocity?

Using Bernoulli does not necessarily mean that the continuity relation is invalid. After all, Bernoulli relates the total energy of the flow at one point to another. All the continuity relation does is state that fluid is not created or destroyed between these same points. Both relations are complementary.

Has anyone worked, or could anyone work through this problem? I'm coming up with an increase of 58 Pa which seems low?

1. What is pressure difference in a decreasing diameter tube?

The pressure difference in a decreasing diameter tube refers to the difference in pressure between two points in the tube where the diameter decreases. This pressure difference is caused by the change in cross-sectional area and can lead to fluid flow and other physical phenomena.

2. How does pressure difference in a decreasing diameter tube affect fluid flow?

The pressure difference in a decreasing diameter tube is a driving force for fluid flow. As the diameter decreases, the fluid velocity increases to maintain a constant flow rate. This increase in velocity leads to a decrease in pressure, creating a pressure difference between the two points in the tube.

3. What is the Bernoulli's principle and its relationship to pressure difference in a decreasing diameter tube?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. In a decreasing diameter tube, the velocity increases due to the decrease in diameter, which leads to a decrease in pressure. This principle explains the relationship between pressure difference and fluid flow in a decreasing diameter tube.

4. Can pressure difference in a decreasing diameter tube cause cavitation?

Yes, pressure difference in a decreasing diameter tube can cause cavitation. When the pressure difference becomes too high, the fluid can reach its vapor pressure and form bubbles. These bubbles can then collapse, causing damage to the tube and affecting fluid flow.

5. What factors can affect the pressure difference in a decreasing diameter tube?

Several factors can affect the pressure difference in a decreasing diameter tube, including the diameter of the tube, fluid density, fluid viscosity, and flow rate. Additionally, any obstructions or changes in the tube's geometry can also affect the pressure difference.