1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure in a star

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the density function [tex]\rho = \rho(r)[/tex] calculate the pressure at the center of a star.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]F = \frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]P = \frac{\Delta F}{\Delta A}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Choose some radius [tex]r[/tex]. Then the gravitational attraction there is

[tex]\Delta F = \frac{GM(r) \Delta m}{r^2}[/tex]

and the resulting pressure is

[tex]P = \frac{\Delta F}{\Delta A} = \frac{GM(r)}{r^2} \frac{\Delta m}{\Delta A}[/tex].

We can interpret [tex]\Delta m[/tex] as the total mass above radius [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]A[/tex] as the area of the sphere at that radius. Then

[tex]P = \frac{GM(r) [M_0-M(r)]}{4\pi r^4}[/tex].

Near the center

[tex]\frac{M(0)}{4\pi r^3} \approx \rho_c/3[/tex]

and so

[tex]P(0) \approx \frac{G\rho _c M_0}{3r} \rightarrow \infty[/tex].

Where's my error?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Don't you need to bring in the density function [tex] \rho(r)[/tex] into this in order to deal with M(r)? It seems a bit mysterious how you got a result out of

P = \frac{GM(r) [M_0-M(r)]}{4\pi r^4}[/tex]
  4. Jun 30, 2008 #3
    I didn't get a result, I got an infinity, which I don't like. I skipped a limiting procedure in my derivation. Since I'm looking for the pressure at the center, very near to the center I can assume that density is constant with value [tex]\rho_c[/tex], so the mass out to a small radius [tex]\Delta r[/tex] is

[tex]M(\Delta r) \approx \rho_0 4\pi/3 (\Delta r)^3[/tex]

If you plug this in, there remains one more power of a small [tex]\Delta r[/tex] which causes the infinity.
  5. Jun 30, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The relevant equations are dP/dr=-GM(r)*rho(r)/r^2, where dM(r)/dr=4*pi*r^2*rho(r) and M(r) is the total mass contained within radius r. So you can see immediately that dP/dr -> 0 as r -> 0. So there's no singularity at the origin. But to get the central pressure you have to integrate the M(r) first and then do the integral to get the pressure. I don't think you get get it by using only the total mass and properties at the center.
  6. Jun 30, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

I can confirm that an approach working from

[tex]P = \frac{GM(r) [M_0-M(r)]}{4\pi r^4}[/tex]

confuses the issue. The appearance of a singularity is only due to the fact that the M_0-M(r) is concealing a factor of r^3 (M_0 is not just a constant), so the dimensions for the quotient are [tex]G\rho^{2}r^{2}[/tex], which has units of pressure.

The structure equation

[tex]\frac{dP}{dr} = -\frac{GM(r)\rho(r)}{r^2}[/tex]

can only be integrated exactly for a handful of cases, unfortunately, so there are only a few simple models where you can calculate a straightforward result for the central pressure. In realistic situations, the integration is performed numerically.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?