How Is Pressure Calculated Underwater?

In summary, the pressure of water problem, also known as the "water hammer" problem, is a sudden and forceful increase in water pressure that occurs when water flow is abruptly stopped or redirected in a plumbing system. This is caused by the inertia of moving water and can be prevented by installing a water hammer arrestor or properly securing and anchoring pipes. The consequences of this problem can include damage to pipes, noisy pipes, decreased water pressure, and bursts. However, it can be fixed by implementing the appropriate solutions and consulting a professional plumber.
iamtrojan3

Homework Statement

The density of fresh water is 1000 kg/m3. Normal air pressure (i.e., 1 atm) is 1.013(105) Pa. If someone were beneath 25.0 m of water, what pressure would they experience? Give your answer in Pascals and in atmospheres.

Homework Equations

i guess the (density of water)(g)(h)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know its sad... but wat does g stand for? i missed 1 week of class and i have a test 2moro! please help! thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
g = 9.81 [m/s^2] = gravitational acceleration. :smile:

Hello, it seems like you are struggling with understanding the concepts of pressure and density. I would recommend reviewing your notes or textbook and practicing some problems to better understand the equations and concepts. However, to answer your question, g stands for the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth. Using the given information, we can calculate the pressure experienced by someone beneath 25.0 m of water using the equation P=ρgh, where ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the water. Plugging in the values, we get P=(1000 kg/m^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(25.0 m)=245,000 Pa or 2.42 atm. I hope this helps and good luck on your test tomorrow! Remember to review and practice to improve your understanding.

Related to How Is Pressure Calculated Underwater?

1. What is the "pressure of water problem"?

The pressure of water problem, also known as the "water hammer" problem, refers to the sudden and forceful increase in water pressure that occurs when water flow is abruptly stopped or redirected in a plumbing system. This can cause damage to pipes, valves, and other plumbing components.

2. What causes the pressure of water problem?

The pressure of water problem is caused by the inertia of moving water. When water flow is suddenly stopped or redirected, the momentum of the water causes a pressure spike in the pipes. This can also be caused by air pockets in the plumbing system.

3. How can the pressure of water problem be prevented?

The pressure of water problem can be prevented by installing a water hammer arrestor, which is a small air-filled chamber that absorbs the shock of the water pressure spike. It can also be prevented by properly securing and anchoring pipes to minimize movement.

4. What are the consequences of the pressure of water problem?

The pressure of water problem can cause damage to pipes, valves, and other plumbing components. It can also lead to noisy pipes, decreased water pressure, and even bursts in extreme cases. It is important to address this problem to prevent costly repairs and potential water damage.

5. Can the pressure of water problem be fixed?

Yes, the pressure of water problem can be fixed by installing a water hammer arrestor or properly securing and anchoring pipes. It is important to consult a professional plumber to determine the best solution for your specific plumbing system.