Pressure on a submarine window homework

In summary, to find the maximum safe depth of a submarine with a 40.0-diameter, 8.30-thick window that can withstand forces up to 1.00×106, we need to use the equation p=Po + pgh and set the total pressure equal to the breaking point of the window. The pressure inside the submarine is maintained at 1.0 atm, so we can ignore atmospheric pressure. The resulting equation will have d as the only unknown, which can be solved for to find the maximum safe depth.
mz.mary00
1. Homework Statement

A research submarine has a 40.0 -diameter window 8.30 thick. The manufacturer says the window can withstand forces up to 1.00×106 . What is the submarine's maximum safe depth?

2. Homework Equations
p=Po + pgh3. The Attempt at a Solution
p = 1.01x 10^5 + ? X9.8 x 8.3

i don't know how to find that p since we were not given mass
please helppp i am so confused of what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Pressure on the outside = Pressure on the inside, at max depth. Pressure on the outside depends on the density of the water, air pressure and depth. Pressure on the inside at max depth equals air pressure and strength of the window.

Note that it was a long time since I did this so I'm a little unsure

mz.mary00 said:
2. Homework Equations
p=Po + pgh
That equation is:
Total Pressure = Atmospheric pressure + density*g*depth

What's the density of water? (You don't need the mass of anything.)

First figure out what pressure is needed to break the window. How does pressure relate to force?

p= F/A

The pressure inside the submarine is maintained at 1.0 atm
do we ignore that fact

Last edited:
The pressure on the inside of the window is air pressure + something else, the "something else" has to do with the window.

mz.mary00 said:
p= F/A
So use the given information to figure out the pressure that would break the window.
mz.mary00 said:
The pressure inside the submarine is maintained at 1.0 atm
do we ignore that fact
The question is ambiguous. "The manufacturer says the window can withstand forces up to 1.00×106 ." doesn't specify whether that is the net force or just the outside force.

I would pressume they meant the net force. (So ignore atmospheric pressure since it's canceled by the inside pressure.)

in other words we have to find the outer pressure or is that the atmostpheric pressure, so what happens afterwards, i am not sure is that the atmostpheric pressure?

then it becomes
Total pressure = 101.3+ (9.8 X d X 1000)

=101.3 + 9800d

and now my question is , how do i get my value for d?

Last edited:
mz.mary00 said:
then it becomes
Total pressure = 101.3+ (9.8 X d X 1000)
What's the 101.3?

and now my question is , how do i get my value for d?
You'll solve for it. The pressure is not an unknown; you can figure it out from the information given about the window.

1. What is the purpose of pressure on a submarine window?

The pressure on a submarine window is necessary to balance the external water pressure with the internal air pressure. This prevents the window from collapsing under the immense pressure of the deep sea.

2. How does the pressure on a submarine window affect its design?

The pressure on a submarine window affects its design by requiring it to be made of a strong and durable material, such as thick acrylic or reinforced glass. It also needs to have a curved shape to distribute the pressure evenly and prevent it from breaking.

3. What happens if the pressure on a submarine window becomes too high?

If the pressure on a submarine window becomes too high, it can lead to a catastrophic failure, causing the window to crack or shatter. This can not only put the crew at risk, but also compromise the structural integrity of the entire submarine.

4. How is the pressure on a submarine window measured?

The pressure on a submarine window is measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or atmospheres (atm). It is usually measured using a pressure gauge or sensor attached to the window.

5. Can the pressure on a submarine window be controlled?

Yes, the pressure on a submarine window can be controlled through various methods, such as adjusting the internal air pressure or using a pressure-compensating system. However, it is important to carefully monitor and maintain the pressure to ensure the safety of the submarine and its crew.