Gas Pressure: Molecule Motion & Temp Effects

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the pressure of a gas and the motion of its molecules, as well as the effect of a change in temperature on the pressure of a gas at constant volume. The participants mention looking up information on the internet and struggling to understand the concept, with one person suggesting that faster particle collision leads to an increase in pressure. The topic is further explored through the ideal gas law and the impact of pressure on gas expansion.
Blanchette
1. I need to describe the pressure of a gas in terms of the motion of its molecules, and the effect of a change of temperature on the pressure of a gas at constant volume.2. I have looked these up in the internet, but every page says something different. I don't really understand what the second one is asking me, since it clearly states at constant volume and I am in doubt as to what it would be if the gas was not at a constant volume.3. For the first one, I am thinking something simple like faster partiles collide stronger so pressure increases expanding the gas. I wish to get a bit more information, since I think my answer is too simple. Also, I am clueless for the second one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both sentences are the same scenario ... the gas is constant Volume, but its Temperature increases - explain what the molecule motion has to do with Pressure.
Sounds like a "C" already - correct physics often sounds "too simple" .
... you could justify why you think that increased pressure will cause the gas to expand (it doesn't, in a pressure cooker), {⇒"B"}
or specify what you mean by "collide stronger" {⇒A-}, or by explaining how you know the molecules are moving faster {⇒A+brownie points}.

Related to Gas Pressure: Molecule Motion & Temp Effects

1. What is gas pressure?

Gas pressure is the force exerted by gas molecules on the walls of a container. It is a measure of the collisions between gas molecules and the container walls.

2. How does temperature affect gas pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in gas pressure. This is because higher temperatures cause gas molecules to move faster and collide with the container walls more frequently, resulting in a higher pressure.

3. What is the relationship between gas pressure and molecule motion?

The higher the gas pressure, the faster the gas molecules are moving. This is because an increase in pressure means there are more collisions between molecules, causing them to move faster.

4. Why do gases expand when heated?

When gases are heated, the molecules gain kinetic energy and move faster. This causes the molecules to collide more frequently and with more force, which pushes the gas outward and causes it to expand.

5. How does the volume of a container affect gas pressure?

According to Boyle's Law, the volume of a container and gas pressure have an inverse relationship. This means that as the volume of a container decreases, the gas molecules have less space to move and collide, resulting in a higher pressure. Similarly, as the volume increases, the pressure decreases.