Pressure ?

• Thread starter charlie95
  • Start date
Pressure ???

If you have a heat exchanger. On the Shell side you have nitrogen gas at 35 bar, and on the tube side you have water at 5 bar.
Is it possible to get water into the nitrogen side???

I know the answer is yes, but I do not understand why. Is there someone who have a simple explanaton for this???

Answers and Replies

If you bring some nitrogen to the other side at the same time or use some power supply, it is fine. I don't see the relation to a heat exchanger: Where is a temperature difference?

temperature do not matter in this case. I only wanted to know if you have gas at high pressure on one side of heatexchanger/cooler/heater and water at low pressure one the other side if there is possible to get Liquid into the gas phase????? temperature do not matter in this case.

See above:
If you bring some nitrogen to the other side at the same time or use some power supply, it is fine.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Water is (reasonably) incompressible so it would it take much nitrogen leaking into the water side to equalise the pressure?

Probably not, but if you want to let water out (to go the the nitrogen-side), you have to fill the volume with nitrogen or reduce the volume with external* power.

*can be gained by an expansion of the nitrogen-side.