1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure ?

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1
    Pressure ???

If you have a heat exchanger. On the Shell side you have nitrogen gas at 35 bar, and on the tube side you have water at 5 bar.
    Is it possible to get water into the nitrogen side???

I know the answer is yes, but I do not understand why. Is there someone who have a simple explanaton for this???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you bring some nitrogen to the other side at the same time or use some power supply, it is fine. I don't see the relation to a heat exchanger: Where is a temperature difference?

4. Mar 31, 2013 #3
    temperature do not matter in this case. I only wanted to know if you have gas at high pressure on one side of heatexchanger/cooler/heater and water at low pressure one the other side if there is possible to get Liquid into the gas phase????? temperature do not matter in this case.

5. Mar 31, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

See above:

6. Mar 31, 2013 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Water is (reasonably) incompressible so it would it take much nitrogen leaking into the water side to equalise the pressure?

7. Mar 31, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Probably not, but if you want to let water out (to go the the nitrogen-side), you have to fill the volume with nitrogen or reduce the volume with external* power.

*can be gained by an expansion of the nitrogen-side.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook