Calculating Period of Transverse Wave from Photo: A or B?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a photo and the expected answer of 1.0s, but the actual answer given is 0.5s. The solution involves a journey from A to B and the time it takes for C to return, resulting in a whole period of 4s and a time of 1.0s for C to return. There is confusion about the discrepancy between the expected and actual answers.
tomcps

Homework Statement

The problem is shown on the photo. And the actual answer is A. 0.5s, and I thought it would be B. 1.0s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my thought,
The journey from A to B is just a half period, then the whole period would be 4s, as a result, the time it takes for C to return would be 4÷4= 1.0s
Isn't it? Sorry i don't have good concepts of wave

Attachments

• 15460835602602629371719063962801.jpg
    15460835602602629371719063962801.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 240
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tom, :welcome:

I agree with your answer. The actual answer given must be a mistake

BvU said:
Hi tom, :welcome:

I agree with your answer. The actual answer given must be a mistake

Really? I am so confused now:cry:

What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. This is in contrast to a longitudinal wave, in which the particles vibrate parallel to the direction of wave propagation. Examples of transverse waves include light, electromagnetic waves, and water waves.

What are some common problems associated with transverse waves?

One common problem with transverse waves is dispersion, which is the spreading out of different frequencies of the wave due to differences in their speeds. Another problem is reflection, which occurs when a transverse wave hits a boundary and bounces back in the opposite direction. Transverse waves can also experience refraction, which is a change in direction and speed when passing through different mediums.

How can we calculate the speed of a transverse wave?

The speed of a transverse wave can be calculated by multiplying the frequency of the wave by its wavelength. This equation is represented as v = fλ, where v is the speed, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength. The speed of a transverse wave can also be affected by the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as density and elasticity.

What are some real-world applications of transverse waves?

Transverse waves have many real-world applications, including communication systems such as radio and television broadcasting, as well as wireless technologies like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Transverse waves are also used in medical imaging techniques such as X-rays and MRI scans. They are also important in engineering processes, such as ultrasonic testing, which uses transverse waves to detect flaws in materials.

How does the amplitude of a transverse wave affect its energy?

The amplitude of a transverse wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the amplitude increases, so does the energy of the wave. This can be seen in everyday examples, such as when a larger ocean wave carries more energy than a smaller one. In terms of mathematical equations, the energy of a transverse wave is equal to the square of its amplitude, so doubling the amplitude will result in four times the energy.