Problem related to Coloumb's force

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: Try to describe it, what is the angle theta in your figure going to...In summary, the tension in the strings will cause the two masses to repel each other.
gracy said:
I thought charges were at the ends of string.
They are, but the strings are moving.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doc Al said:
The string is 3 meters long. Start out with the charges 1 meter apart
I thought So ,they are not at the ends of string.

gracy said:
Yes they are, as in the picture.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
Sure they are.

Likes gracy
Are we not confusing with the problem in op and the example by @Doc Al

At least I am !

gracy said:
Are we not confusing with the problem in op and the example by @Doc Al
No, he was just rephrasing the same problem, with number values for the length of the strings.

DrClaude said:
No, he was just rephrasing the same problem, with number values for the length of the strings.
How?op mentions two strings whereas @Doc Al took one string in his example

gracy said:
How?op mentions two strings whereas @Doc Al took one string in his example
Sorry, I misread. :oops:

But that string could look like the two in the OP.

could you Please guide me further.

gracy said:
could you Please guide me further.
You have already been given a significant amount of guidance and several helpers have asked you questions which would guide you in the right direction if you tried to answer them. Instead, you are ignoring these questions thinking that they cannot possibly have anything to do with your problem. If you are going to have any chance of resolving this issue, you need to start listening to what people are telling you.

Take your image as an example, can you draw the free body diagram for one of the masses? What forces are going to be acting on the mass? Which are their directions? What is the necessary requirement for equilibrium to occur?

Orodruin said:
You have already been given a significant amount of guidance and several helpers have asked you questions which would guide you in the right direction if you tried to answer them. Instead, you are ignoring these questions thinking that they cannot possibly have anything to do with your problem. If you are going to have any chance of resolving this issue, you need to start listening to what people are telling you.
I am trying my best.You would have definitely agreed if you were to see my rough /practice book.What else I can do.

Last edited:
gracy said:
I don't know whether it is correct but i think tension force will be able to be split into one horizontal force and one vertical.The horizontal one would cancel the repulsive force.But one problem with this is then vertical force would be unbalanced so net force would be vertical so motion should be in vertical direction.
gracy said:
l (lower case L)cos theta =kq^2/d^2
here d=distance between the bodies when horizontal component of tension cancels the repulsive force.And k is coulomb constant having value of 9 multiplied by 10^9.
gracy said:
as if bodies were attracting each other
It has been a long thread.What's the use?How many helpers are there,is not something that matters.A student needs approval ,corrections.

Last edited:
I'll give it one more try.

gracy said:
This suggests r=2l
I want to know how to find "r"how r came out to be 2l?

What does the system of charges and strings look like if ##r=2l##?

Likes gracy
gracy said:
I thought charges were at the ends of string.
Doc Al said:
Sure they are.
DrClaude said:
But that string could look like the two in the OP.
DrClaude said:
What does the system of charges and strings look like if r=2l?
The charges would be like the charges at the ends of string of length 2l

gracy said:
The charges would be like the charges at the ends of string of length 2l
So how do you go from two charges attached to strings of length ##l## to the two charges being ##2l## apart?

Likes gracy
DrClaude said:
So how do you go from two charges attached to strings of length ll to the two charges being 2l2l apart?
Angle will increase until it is 180 degrees?

gracy said:
Angle will increase until it is 180 degrees?
Yes!

Can you see now why this is happening?

Likes gracy
DrClaude said:
Because of repulsion between like charges

gracy said:
Because of repulsion between like charges
Don't forget the tension in the string.

Are you satisfied that you understand the answer to your question "I want to know how to find "r"how r came out to be 2l?"

Likes gracy
DrClaude said:
gracy said:
I don't know whether it is correct but i think tension force will be able to be split into one horizontal force and one vertical.The horizontal one would cancel the repulsive force.But one problem with this is then vertical force would be unbalanced so net force would be vertical so motion should be in vertical direction.
This vertical force is responsible for going from two charges attached to strings of length l to the two charges being 2l apart
And after that tension in string would be equal to the repulsive force which has the value of (1/4πε0)*q^2/4l^2
r being 2l
Right @DrClaude ?

DrClaude said:
Are you satisfied that you understand the answer to your question "I want to know how to find "r"how r came out to be 2l?"
Seeking your "yes" in answer to my post #56 to be satisfied.

gracy said:
This vertical force is responsible for going from two charges attached to strings of length l to the two charges being 2l apart
And after that tension in string would be equal to the repulsive force which has the value of (1/4πε0)*q^2/4l^2
r being 2l
Right @DrClaude ?
Yes. When the two strings become horizontal, there is no more vertical component of the force, and equilibrium is reached between repulsion and tension.

gracy said:
Seeking your "yes" in answer to my post #56 to be satisfied.
We not all in the same time zone, and I need to sleep from time to time :wink:

Likes gracy