Problems concerning magnetic fields, induced current, emf

In summary, the conversation discusses three different physics problems. The first problem involves a bullet with a specific mass, speed, and charge being deflected by a magnetic field and the distance it will travel. The second problem involves a galvanometer needle and the current needed for full-scale deflection in a weaker magnetic field. The third problem asks about the direction of current induced in a small circular loop inside a larger loop as the resistance of a resistor is slowly increased, and what it would be if the small loop were placed outside the larger loop. The speaker is seeking help and ideas for solutions to these problems.
Prototype
I been trying to work out these problems for the past two days but cannot come up with a solution. If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

1) A 3.80-g bullet moves with a speed of 180m/s perpendicular to the Earth’s magnetic field of 5.00 X 10-5 T. If the bullet possesses a net charge of 8.10 X 10-9 C, by what distance will it be deflected from it’s path do to it’s magnetic field after it has traveled 1.00 km?

2) A galvanometer needle deflects full scale for a 63.0-μA current. What current will give full-scale deflection if the magnetic field weakens to 0.860 of its original value?

3) (a) If the resistance of the resistor in the figure is slowly increased, what is the direction of the current induced in the small circular loop inside the larger loop? (b) What would it be if the small loop were placed outside the larger one, to the left?

Attachments

• induced.jpg
    induced.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any ideas?

1) To solve this problem, we can use the formula F=qvBsinθ, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge, v is the velocity, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field. In this case, θ=90° because the bullet is moving perpendicular to the magnetic field. Plugging in the values, we get F=(8.10 X 10-9 C)(180 m/s)(5.00 X 10-5 T)sin90°=0.000729 N.

Since the force is perpendicular to the velocity, it will cause the bullet to move in a circular path. We can use the formula F=mv^2/r, where m is the mass, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. In this case, we want to find the distance the bullet will be deflected, so we can rearrange the equation to solve for r.

r=mv^2/F=(0.00380 kg)(180 m/s)^2/0.000729 N=11,700 m.

Therefore, the bullet will be deflected by 11,700 m after traveling 1.00 km.

2) To solve this problem, we can use the formula I=μA, where I is the current, μ is the magnetic field, and A is the area of the coil. We know that the initial current, I1, gives full-scale deflection, so we can set up the equation I1=μ1A.

When the magnetic field weakens to 0.860 of its original value, the new current, I2, will give full-scale deflection, so we can set up the equation I2=μ2A.

To find the new current, we can divide the two equations and solve for I2:

I2=I1(μ2/μ1)=63.0 μA(0.860)=54.18 μA.

Therefore, the new current that will give full-scale deflection is 54.18 μA.

3) (a) If the resistance of the resistor is slowly increased, the current in the larger loop will decrease. According to Faraday's law, a changing magnetic field will induce an emf, which will cause a current to flow in the smaller loop. The direction of this induced

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an area in which a magnetic force is present. It is created by moving electric charges and can be influenced by other magnetic fields.

2. How is current induced by a magnetic field?

When a conductor is moved through a magnetic field, the changing magnetic field will induce a current in the conductor. This is known as electromagnetic induction.

3. What is emf and how is it related to magnetic fields?

Emf, or electromotive force, is a measure of the potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is related to magnetic fields through Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field can induce an emf in a conductor.

4. What is the right-hand rule for magnetic fields?

The right-hand rule is a way to determine the direction of a magnetic field. Point your thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. How are problems involving magnetic fields and induced current solved?

To solve these types of problems, you can use equations such as Faraday's law and the right-hand rule to determine the direction and magnitude of the induced current. It is also important to consider the properties of the materials involved, such as conductivity and resistance.