Max Angle of Projectile for Increasing Position Vector

• Thread starter rattanjot14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum angle of projection for a projectile such that its position vector is always increasing. The equations x(t)=v*cos(A)t and y(t)=v*sin(A)t-(1/2)gt^2 are used, and the condition for the magnitude of displacement to always increase is found by differentiating the equation (gt)^2 -3usinθgt +2u^2 and setting it greater than zero. The final answer is sin inverse (2√2/3).
rattanjot14

Homework Statement

1. Find the maximum angle of projection of a projectile such that its position vector from the origin to the subsequent position of the projectile is always increasing.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x(t)=v*cos(A)t, y(t)=v*sin(A)t-(1/2)gt^2. v is the initial velocity, A is the angle from the horizontal.
then x^2 +y^2 =k^2
We know that k^2 should always be increasing then we would differentiate it w.r.t to time and put it ≥ 0. But the problem is that i am getting two times for it. now what to do..?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you get some values of t, that means the magnitude of displacement will be increasing sometimes. You must find a condition when it always increases.

i have a doubt when i differentiate it wrt to time i assume that theta is constant. can i do that..??

Does the initial angle of projection change as time goes on?

but we had to find the maximum angle of projection..

And?

only angle of projection for which the position vector always increases..

You don't have to repeat the problem.

so is it correct to assume it constant..?

Answer #4.

thnx answer is coming sin inverse 1/u

I do not think this is correct. Show how you got that.

r^2 = (u^2)t + (g^2)(t^4) - (usinθ)gt^3
differentiating it and putting it equal to 0 we get
(gt)^2 -3usinθgt +2u^2 =0
so t = (3usinθ ± √9u^2sin^2θ-8u^2)/20
and also this time ≤2usinθ/g (total time of flight)]
solving this i don't get the answer...i was getting that because of an error.
now what to do?

Explain how you got (u^2)t in r^2 = (u^2)t + (g^2)(t^4) - (usinθ)gt^3.

typing error it is . the actual it is

(u^2)t^2 + [(g^2)(t^4)/4] - (usinθ)gt^3.

So how can one ensure that (gt)^2 -3usinθgt +2u^2 is ALWAYS greater than zero?

if d is less than or equal to zero.

answer is coming that 8/9≥(sinθ)^2

is that correct?

This is not yet the answer. But you are on the right track.

maximum angle is sin inverse (2√2/3) ..is it correct now?

That is correct.

I suggest that you pick an angle greater than this, and graph the resultant projectile motion, then mark on the diagram the part where the magnitude of displacement decreases.

Related to Max Angle of Projectile for Increasing Position Vector

1. What is the definition of "Max Angle of Projectile for Increasing Position Vector"?

The "Max Angle of Projectile for Increasing Position Vector" refers to the maximum angle at which a projectile can be launched in order to achieve an increase in its position vector (i.e. the displacement from its starting point).

2. How is the max angle of projectile for increasing position vector calculated?

The max angle of projectile for increasing position vector can be calculated using the equation: θ = tan^-1((v^2 ± √(v^4 - g(gx^2 + 2yv^2)))/(gx)), where θ is the angle, v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, x is the horizontal distance, and y is the vertical distance.

3. What factors affect the max angle of projectile for increasing position vector?

The max angle of projectile for increasing position vector is affected by the initial velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and the horizontal and vertical distances. It is also affected by external factors such as air resistance and wind.

4. Why is it important to understand the max angle of projectile for increasing position vector?

Understanding the max angle of projectile for increasing position vector is important in order to accurately predict the trajectory of a projectile and determine the optimal angle for achieving the desired position. This information is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports.

5. Can the max angle of projectile for increasing position vector be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the max angle of projectile for increasing position vector cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because the vertical component of the projectile's velocity cannot be greater than the initial velocity, and the horizontal component of the velocity cannot be zero in order for there to be an increase in the position vector.