Projectile fired along an incline

In summary, the projectile will travel the maximum distance if it is launched at an angle of φ/2 - pi/4 with respect to the horizontal.
asap9993

Homework Statement

Some members here may have seen this problem before. The problem is:
A projectile is fired up an incline (incline angle φ) with an initial speed, v ,at an angle θ with respect to the horizontal (θ>φ). What is the angle that will allow the projectile to travel the maximum distance, r , along the incline plane and what is that value of r?

Homework Equations

r(θ) = [2(v^2)cos(θ)sin(θ-φ)]/g(cos^2(φ))

The Attempt at a Solution

When I differentiate r(θ) and set it equal to zero, I get the equation cot(2θ) = -tan(φ) which then becomes cot(2θ) = -cot(pi/2 - φ) because of the identity
cot(pi/2 - x) = tan(x).
Thus, 2θ = -(pi/2 - φ) and θ = φ/2 - pi/4

Please help!

However the book says the answer is θ = φ/2 + pi/4
Did I make an error?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi asap9993! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
asap9993 said:
r(θ) = [2(v^2)cos(θ)sin(θ-φ)]/g(cos^2(φ))

When I differentiate r(θ) and set it equal to zero, I get the equation cot(2θ) = -tan(φ)

how did you get that? :confused:

i get a coscos - sinsin formula

try again! :smile:

To tiny-tim,

After using the product rule, I got
dr/dθ = [(2v^2)/g(cosφ)^2][cos(θ)cos(θ-φ) - sin(θ)sin(θ-φ)] = 0 then

cos(θ)cos(θ-φ) = sin(θ)sin(θ-φ)

cos(θ)[cos(θ)cos(φ) + sin(θ)sin(φ)] = sin(θ)[sin(θ)cos(φ) - cos(θ)sin(φ)]

cos(φ)[(cosθ)^2] + cos(θ)sin(θ)sin(φ) = cos(φ)[(sinθ)^2] - cos(θ)sin(θ)sin(φ)

2cos(θ)sin(θ)sin(φ) = cos(φ)[(sinθ)^2 - (cosθ)^2]

Multiplying both sides of the above equation by -1 and using the two trig identities:
(cosθ)^2 - (sinθ)^2 = cos(2θ) and 2cos(θ)sin(θ) = sin(2θ) gives

-sin(2θ)sin(φ) = cos(2θ)cos(φ) and then

cot(2θ) = -tan(φ)

hi asap9993! :smile:

i'll check the rest of it in a moment, to see where you've gone wrong

but you should have stopped at
asap9993 said:
dr/dθ = [(2v^2)/g(cosφ)^2][cos(θ)cos(θ-φ) - sin(θ)sin(θ-φ)] = 0

because the second bracket is already cosAcosB - sinAsinB,

sooo you can immediately say that it's … ? :wink:

OH SNAP!

Thank you so much tiny-tim. I can't believe I didn't see that! I guess when you're working with trig, you got to know when to stop.

hi asap9993! :smile:

i almost forgot …
asap9993 said:
When I differentiate r(θ) and set it equal to zero, I get the equation cot(2θ) = -tan(φ) which then becomes cot(2θ) = -cot(pi/2 - φ) because of the identity
cot(pi/2 - x) = tan(x).
Thus, 2θ = -(pi/2 - φ) and θ = φ/2 - pi/4

there's no error here, apart from the fact that cotA = cot B implies either A = B or A = B + π …

the second one gives you 2θ = π - (π/2 - φ) = π/2 + φ as required …

what is the other solution, then? it's for the minimum value of r, ie the farthest downhill if you launch the projectile at an angle less than the slope, φ :biggrin:

What is the equation for the range of a projectile fired along an incline?

The equation for the range (horizontal distance traveled) of a projectile fired along an incline is:
R = (v02 sin2θ)/g, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of inclination, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the angle of inclination affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile will be greatest when the angle of inclination is 45 degrees. As the angle decreases from 45 degrees, the range will also decrease. When the angle is 0 degrees (horizontal), the range will be 0. When the angle is 90 degrees (vertical), the range will also be 0.

What is the difference between an inclined projectile and a horizontal projectile?

An inclined projectile is one that is launched at an angle above the horizontal, while a horizontal projectile is launched parallel to the ground. The main difference between the two is that an inclined projectile will have a vertical and horizontal component of velocity, while a horizontal projectile will only have a horizontal component of velocity.

How does the initial velocity affect the trajectory of a projectile fired along an incline?

The initial velocity of a projectile will determine its overall speed and distance traveled. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer range and a higher peak height, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter range and a lower peak height.

What factors can affect the trajectory of a projectile fired along an incline?

The trajectory of a projectile can be affected by various factors such as air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the shape and mass of the projectile. The angle of inclination and initial velocity also play a significant role in determining the trajectory of a projectile.