Projectile Height Calculation: Baseball Thrown at 30 Degrees

In summary, a baseball is thrown with an initial velocity of 20 ms at an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal and reaches a height of approximately 5.10 meters before being caught 2 meters from the ground. Taking into account the initial height, it reaches a total height of approximately 7.1 meters. The formula used was 0=Vi^2 + 2ad, with acceleration due to gravity calculated at -9.8 m/s^2.
bionut

Homework Statement

A baseball is thrown with an initial velocity of 20 ms at an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. How high did it go if it was released and caught 2 meters from the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0=Vi^2 + 2ad
0=(20Sin30)2 + 2 X (-9.8)d
19.62d=100
d=100/19.62
d=5.0m, but this is wrong... Would I mabey need to add 2m to my answer beacuse it is projected from a 2m height? therefore it will go 7m??

Physics news on Phys.org
bionut said:

Homework Statement

A baseball is thrown with an initial velocity of 20 ms at an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. How high did it go if it was released and caught 2 meters from the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0=Vi^2 + 2ad
0=(20Sin30)2 + 2 X (-9.8)d
19.62d=100
d=100/19.62
d=5.0m, but this is wrong... Would I mabey need to add 2m to my answer beacuse it is projected from a 2m height? therefore it will go 7m??

Adding the 2 would be a very good idea , yes

EDIT: you did round off quite a bit to get 5.0m too. That is the answer you get if you take g = 10

I know... I got 5.10m, whihc would give 7.1m... I think my teacher sometimes uses 10 or 9.81 depends what kind of day it is ;-), lol

Related to Projectile Height Calculation: Baseball Thrown at 30 Degrees

1. What is the formula for calculating the vertical height of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the vertical height of a projectile is h = v02sin2θ/2g, where h is the vertical height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the launch angle affect the vertical height of a projectile?

The launch angle has a direct impact on the vertical height of a projectile. The higher the launch angle, the greater the vertical height will be. However, if the launch angle is too high, the projectile may not have enough horizontal distance to travel before hitting the ground.

3. Does the mass of the projectile affect its vertical height?

No, the mass of the projectile does not affect its vertical height. The vertical height is solely determined by the initial velocity and launch angle of the projectile.

4. Can the vertical height of a projectile be negative?

Yes, the vertical height of a projectile can be negative if it is launched from a height above the ground and travels below that initial height before reaching its peak. This is often seen in situations where the projectile is launched from a higher platform and lands on a lower surface.

5. How does air resistance affect the vertical height of a projectile?

Air resistance can decrease the vertical height of a projectile by slowing it down as it travels through the air. This decreases the overall distance the projectile can travel and can also cause it to reach its peak height sooner than if there was no air resistance present.