Projectile Motion in 2D: Solving for Maximum Range in Inclined Planes

In summary, The conventional method for solving a question using the formula for maximum range of a projectile in an inclined plane may not always work for objective problems. In cases where α=0, only one option may match, but it may not necessarily be the correct answer. This is because the given question does not have any restrictions on α and it could take any value, so the answer should be consistent for all values of α. In the flat case, both answers B and D fit because u1 and u2 are the same. This is because in the α=0 case, R1 and R2 are equal, so their speeds must also be the same.
kshitij
Homework Statement
Three particles are projected in the air with the minimum possible speeds (particle at point A with u1,at B with u2 and at point C with u3), such that the first goes from A to B, the second goes from B to C and the third goes from C to A. Points A and C are at the same horizontal level. The two inclines make the same angle α with the horizontal, as shown. The relation among the projection speeds of the three particles is
(see attachment)
Relevant Equations
Range of a projectile=(u^2*sin2α)/g
I know the conventional method for solving this question using the formula for maximum range of a projectile in an inclined plane, but since it is an objective problem, if we consider a non general case where α=0, then clearly we can see that (see attachment) only one option matches which unfortunately isn't the right answer. I would like to know that why doesn't this method work since in the given question there is no restriction on α, it could take any value, so the given answer must be consistent for all values of α. What am I missing, is there a catch in the part that they are projected with minimum possible speed, if so then what should be the condition so that we get the correct answer for the α=0 case?
2020-12-05 15_23_48.423cropped.png

Physics news on Phys.org
In the flat case, u1 and u2 are the same, so answers B and D both fit.

Likes kshitij
haruspex said:
In the flat case, u1 and u2 are the same, so answers B and D both fit.
That's interesting, but I still don't get why they should be the same?

kshitij said:
That's interesting, but I still don't get why they should be the same?
Why what are the same? u1 and u2 in the α=0 case?

Likes kshitij
haruspex said:
Why what are the same? u1 and u2 in the α=0 case?
Yes, I was asking why is u1 and u2 same in the α=0 case? But know I get it as from geometry R1 and R2 are equal so their speeds must be same. Thank you so much, I was stuck with this problem for quite some time 😅

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion in 2D?

Projectile motion in 2D refers to the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air at an angle. It follows a curved path due to the influence of both horizontal and vertical forces.

2. How is maximum range calculated in inclined planes?

To calculate the maximum range in inclined planes, the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the gravitational acceleration must be known. The range can be calculated using the equation R = (v0^2 * sin2θ) / g, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

3. What factors affect the maximum range in inclined planes?

The maximum range in inclined planes is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the gravitational acceleration. Other factors that can affect the range include air resistance, wind speed, and the shape and weight of the object.

4. How does the angle of launch affect the maximum range in inclined planes?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the maximum range in inclined planes. A higher angle of launch will result in a longer range, while a lower angle will result in a shorter range. The ideal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees.

5. Can the maximum range in inclined planes be greater than on a level surface?

Yes, the maximum range in inclined planes can be greater than on a level surface. This is because the inclined plane provides an additional horizontal force component, which can increase the range of the object. However, the angle of launch must be carefully chosen to achieve the maximum range.