Calculating Angle of Elevation & Initial Speed of Projectile from a Gun Fire

In summary, the projectile fired from a gun hit the target 27.5 seconds after being fired. The angle of elevation of the gun barrel was found to be 15 degrees. The initial velocity of the projectile was found to be .165 meters per second.
ur5pointos2sl
A gun fires a projectile toward a target that is 4.54 km distant at the same elevation as the gun. The gunnery officer notes that the projectile hit the target 27.5 s after firing.

a)Find the angle of elevation of the gun barrel.
b)Find the initial speed of the projectile.

So
x=4.54 km
t = 27.5 s

I am really confused on how to solve this problem. It seems there isn't enough information to solve the problem or either I am missing something simple. Any help to get part A started would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
you know gravity and that teh bullet hits at the same elevation,

assuming no wind resistance, then the initial vertical velocity (upward) will be the same magnitude as the final velocity downward. use these facts to find initail vertical velocity

you also should be able to find the horizontal velocity, thus yielding the angle

hi
i have a problem from an in class lab where i have to find the initial velocity of the ball. given is the horizontal and vertical displacement of the projectile.
Dy(height)=100cm
Dx(range)=200m
0(theta)= 15degrees.
Find the initial velocity.

hey helpmee welcome to pf ;)

you should start your own post and attempt some work first, and its better to post as other people can help as well, though the question sounds pretty similar to above... any ideas

Last edited:
lanedance said:
you know gravity and that teh bullet hits at the same elevation,

assuming no wind resistance, then the initial vertical velocity (upward) will be the same magnitude as the final velocity downward. use these facts to find initail vertical velocity

you also should be able to find the horizontal velocity, thus yielding the angle

Thank you lanedance. I am still a little confused on finding the angle of elevation. Like you said we know Vo = V. and gravity and the bullet hits at the same time but how would I use this information to determine the angle. The question wants us to determine the angle before finding the initial speed. Could someone possibly give me a push start on the third unknown I am looking for to find the angle?

ur5pointos2sl said:
Thank you lanedance. I am still a little confused on finding the angle of elevation. Like you said we know Vo = V. and gravity and the bullet hits at the same time but how would I use this information to determine the angle. The question wants us to determine the angle before finding the initial speed. Could someone possibly give me a push start on the third unknown I am looking for to find the angle?

It helps to break the problem up into the x and y components. You know there is no acceleration in the x component, and there is gravity accelerating in the y component. Find the Vi and Vf in both components and then solve for the distance traveled in each component. If you have the Vi in the x component and Vi in the y component, you can find the angle the gun is shot at (tan-1(Viy/Vix)

Hope that makes sense.

and9 said:
It helps to break the problem up into the x and y components. You know there is no acceleration in the x component, and there is gravity accelerating in the y component. Find the Vi and Vf in both components and then solve for the distance traveled in each component. If you have the Vi in the x component and Vi in the y component, you can find the angle the gun is shot at (tan-1(Viy/Vix)

Hope that makes sense.

ok let me just attempt this and maybe you can help me from there..

so I need two equations one for X and one for Y

so...

x-x0 = v0t +(1/2)at^2 since acceleration in the x direction is 0 we have

x = v0t so we can solve for v0 in the x direction?

v0 = .165 m/s?

So now what about the y component. I am not sure of an equation dealing with that.

ur5pointos2sl said:
ok let me just attempt this and maybe you can help me from there..

so I need two equations one for X and one for Y

so...

x-x0 = v0t +(1/2)at^2 since acceleration in the x direction is 0 we have

x = v0t so we can solve for v0 in the x direction?

v0 = .165 m/s?

So now what about the y component. I am not sure of an equation dealing with that.

Almost, x = v0t is not entirely correct as you need the x component of v0 in the x direction. So multiply by cos of the angle. x = v0cos(angle)t, solve for v0cos(angle).

In the y direction, y=v0sin(angle)t - (1/2)at^2 because the y direction will have gravity as an acceleration. Because you know y = 0 (the cannon hits the target on the ground), solve for v0sin(angle).

Once you have both v0cos(angle) and v0sin(angle) you can divide the two and use the previous equation I gave with the tan-1(v0sin(angle)/v0cos(angle)) to find the angle of the trajectory

and9 said:
Almost, x = v0t is not entirely correct as you need the x component of v0 in the x direction. So multiply by cos of the angle. x = v0cos(angle)t, solve for v0cos(angle).

In the y direction, y=v0sin(angle)t - (1/2)at^2 because the y direction will have gravity as an acceleration. Because you know y = 0 (the cannon hits the target on the ground), solve for v0sin(angle).

Once you have both v0cos(angle) and v0sin(angle) you can divide the two and use the previous equation I gave with the tan-1(v0sin(angle)/v0cos(angle)) to find the angle of the trajectory

Ok I think this makes sense now...

so

x = v0 cos(theta)t
v0cos(theta) = .165

y= v0sin(theta)t - (1/2)(9.8)(27.5)^2
v0sin(theta) = 3705.625

so therefore

tan^-1 (3705.625/.165) = 89.9 degrees.

Does this look correct?

A gun fires a projectile toward a target that is 4.54 km distant at the same elevation as the gun. The gunnery officer notes that the projectile hit the target 27.5 s after firing.

a)Find the angle of elevation of the gun barrel.
b)Find the initial speed of the projectile.

(Note: your x and y vectors and independent)

So...

(delta y) = Vot + 1/2at^2

so...

0 = Vo + 1/2(-9.8)(27.5s)

so Vy = 134.75 m/s

Vx = Dx / t
Vx = 4540 m / 27.5 s
Vx = 165.1 m/s

so Rx = sqrt(Vx^2 + Vy^2)
Rx = 213.1 m/s

and you angle is sin-1 (134.75/213.1)
your angle is 39.2 degrees

Does it really make sense that he fires the gun nearly straight up?
[tex] x = v_o cos \theta t[/tex]
[tex] y = v_o sin \theta t -\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
You need to find theta so solve the first equation for [tex]v_o[/tex] in terms of [tex]cos\theta[/tex] and plug that into the second equation and solve for theta. Make sure you substitute the correct values.

1. What is the importance of calculating the angle of elevation and initial speed of a projectile from a gun fire?

Calculating the angle of elevation and initial speed of a projectile from a gun fire is crucial for determining the trajectory of the projectile and its possible impact point. This information is essential for accuracy and precision in shooting and can also help in making adjustments for different shooting conditions.

2. How is the angle of elevation of a projectile determined?

The angle of elevation of a projectile can be determined by measuring the vertical distance between the launch point and the highest point of the projectile's trajectory. This angle can also be calculated using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. What factors affect the initial speed of a projectile from a gun fire?

The initial speed of a projectile from a gun fire can be affected by several factors, including the type and size of the gun, the type of ammunition used, the angle of elevation, the air resistance, and the force of gravity.

4. How is the initial speed of a projectile calculated?

The initial speed of a projectile can be calculated using the equation: V = √(g*d/sin(2θ)), where V is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), d is the horizontal distance traveled by the projectile, and θ is the angle of elevation.

5. Can the angle of elevation and initial speed of a projectile be measured after it has been fired?

No, the angle of elevation and initial speed of a projectile cannot be measured after it has been fired. However, they can be estimated by analyzing the projectile's impact point and using mathematical calculations based on known variables such as distance and type of ammunition used.