• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Projectiles with three boats.

• Thread starter maiad
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A destroyer simultaneously fires two shells with different initial speeds at two different enemy ships. The shells follow the parabolic trajectories shown.
http://smartphysics.com/Content/Media/Images/Mechanics/02/Destroyer2.gif [Broken]

Which ship gets hit first?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to figure this one out since they both have different initial speeds. But my guess would be the same time since they both have the same maxium height and therefore same "hang time"

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

What is asked??

i edited the question in

rl.bhat
Homework Helper
Write the formula for the height of the projectile. Equate them for the two shells.
Write down the final vertical component of the velocity of the projection. Since it is zero for both the shells, equate them.
Now proceed.

PeterO
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A destroyer simultaneously fires two shells with different initial speeds at two different enemy ships. The shells follow the parabolic trajectories shown.
http://smartphysics.com/Content/Media/Images/Mechanics/02/Destroyer2.gif [Broken]

Which ship gets hit first?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to figure this one out since they both have different initial speeds. But my guess would be the same time since they both have the same maximum height and therefore same "hang time"
I like the way you are thinking!!

Last edited by a moderator: