Projectiles with three boats.

In summary: You are correct, both shells will hit their respective ships at the same time because they have the same maximum height and therefore the same "hang time". This is due to the fact that the initial vertical component of velocity is the same for both shells, so they will reach their maximum height at the same time. From there, they will follow the same trajectory and hit their respective ships at the same time.
maiad

Homework Statement

A destroyer simultaneously fires two shells with different initial speeds at two different enemy ships. The shells follow the parabolic trajectories shown.
http://smartphysics.com/Content/Media/Images/Mechanics/02/Destroyer2.gif

Which ship gets hit first?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to figure this one out since they both have different initial speeds. But my guess would be the same time since they both have the same maxium height and therefore same "hang time"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is asked??

i edited the question in

Write the formula for the height of the projectile. Equate them for the two shells.
Write down the final vertical component of the velocity of the projection. Since it is zero for both the shells, equate them.
Now proceed.

maiad said:

Homework Statement

A destroyer simultaneously fires two shells with different initial speeds at two different enemy ships. The shells follow the parabolic trajectories shown.
http://smartphysics.com/Content/Media/Images/Mechanics/02/Destroyer2.gif

Which ship gets hit first?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to figure this one out since they both have different initial speeds. But my guess would be the same time since they both have the same maximum height and therefore same "hang time"

I like the way you are thinking!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of "Projectiles with three boats?"

The purpose of "Projectiles with three boats" is to study the motion and trajectory of projectiles launched from three different boats, taking into account factors such as the angle of launch and the velocity of the boats.

2. How is the motion of the projectiles affected by the three boats?

The motion of the projectiles is affected by the velocity and direction of the three boats, as well as the angle at which the projectiles are launched. This can result in different trajectories and landing points for each projectile.

3. What types of boats are used in "Projectiles with three boats?"

Any type of boat can be used in this project, as long as they are able to move in a controlled and consistent manner. Some common choices may include rowboats, motorboats, or sailboats.

4. What are some potential real-world applications of this project?

The study of projectiles with three boats can have practical applications in fields such as naval engineering, ballistics, and sports. It can also help in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in fluid environments.

5. What are some variables that could affect the outcome of this project?

Some variables that could affect the outcome of this project include the size and weight of the projectiles, the wind and water currents, and the accuracy and consistency of the boat's movements. Other factors such as temperature and air resistance may also play a role.