How is torque converted into propelling force on a vehicle?

In summary, a vehicle gets off of the ground because the torque is converted into friction force between the tire and the ground. This friction force increases the velocity of the vehicle and then it begins to move.
koolraj09
Hi all.
I didn't get it cleared although i tried searching the internet.
1) Firstly, how does a vehicle gets off...i mean how the torque is converted into propelling force. I don't want to know the mechanism, gears etc...i want to know the physics...
2) Another question is that whether static friction force is itself the propelling force in this case? And how the friction force varies from the start. Like at t=0, friction force is totally static. Then how does it proceed on.
3) Also what is the condition when wheels start slipping?
4) If I were to design an engine how would I decide what's the torque of engine to propel a vehicle of say mass 'm' and acceleration 'a'
Just for simplification i assume that at low speeds the drag force is negligible.
5) Lastly, what's the difference between the terms traction, tractive force and tractive effort?
I Googled but everyone has different things to say about it! And is tractive force equal to [mass x acceleration] of the vehicle? or is it equal to the static friction force. I'm totally confused over this topic. Please, help required.
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey guys...no reply??
Atleast suggest something!

Draw yourself a FBD of a tire subject to a weight force down, a normal force upward from the pavement, a friction force from the pavement, a reaction force on the axle, and a torque on the axle. Then write the equations of motion for the tire. This should give you an idea about where the force driving the car forward comes from.

koolraj09 said:
1) Firstly, how does a vehicle gets off...i mean how the torque is converted into propelling force. I don't want to know the mechanism, gears etc...i want to know the physics...

The propelling force is the friction force between the tire and the ground. The relationship between the torque and the friction force is Wheel Torque = Friction Force X Tire Radius.

koolraj09 said:
2) Another question is that whether static friction force is itself the propelling force in this case? And how the friction force varies from the start. Like at t=0, friction force is totally static. Then how does it proceed on.

The friction force induces an acceleration to the vehicle, which increases its velocity and then initiate motion. I'm not sure if this answers your question.

koolraj09 said:
3) Also what is the condition when wheels start slipping?

See Sources >> Friction coefficient at the bottom of this page.

koolraj09 said:
4) If I were to design an engine how would I decide what's the torque of engine to propel a vehicle of say mass 'm' and acceleration 'a'
Just for simplification i assume that at low speeds the drag force is negligible.

See Theory >> Longitudinal acceleration >> Accelerating at the bottom of this page. The general case is equation (5b) where you could replace the friction force (Ft) with Wheel Torque / Tire Radius as seen previously. So, assuming no aerodynamics forces or rolling resistance:

Vehicle Acceleration = Wheel Torque / Tire Radius / Vehicle Mass

koolraj09 said:
5) Lastly, what's the difference between the terms traction, tractive force and tractive effort?
I Googled but everyone has different things to say about it! And is tractive force equal to [mass x acceleration] of the vehicle? or is it equal to the static friction force.

All of these terms are related to the tire friction force.

Thanks all! I think i got it.

1. What is propelling force on a vehicle?

Propelling force on a vehicle is the force that is responsible for moving the vehicle forward. It is the force that overcomes the resistance and friction of the vehicle's motion.

2. How is propelling force generated on a vehicle?

Propelling force is generated by the engine of the vehicle. The engine converts the chemical energy of fuel into mechanical energy, which is then used to power the vehicle's movement.

3. What factors affect the amount of propelling force on a vehicle?

The amount of propelling force on a vehicle is affected by several factors such as the weight of the vehicle, the type and condition of the engine, the aerodynamics of the vehicle, and the terrain the vehicle is traveling on.

4. How does propelling force impact the fuel efficiency of a vehicle?

The amount of propelling force required to move a vehicle impacts its fuel efficiency. The more force needed, the more fuel is consumed. Therefore, vehicles with higher propelling force tend to have lower fuel efficiency.

5. Can propelling force be increased on a vehicle?

Yes, propelling force can be increased on a vehicle by making modifications to the engine, reducing the weight of the vehicle, improving the aerodynamics, and choosing a more powerful engine. However, it is important to note that increasing propelling force may also decrease fuel efficiency.