What is the velocity of the 250 pound mass when it hits the ground?

In summary, a 250 pound mass is released from rest at a height of 20 ft and pulls a 400 pound mass up a ramp with a 30º angle. The coefficient of friction between the 400 pound mass and the ramp is 0.5. By using equations for the forces on each mass, it is determined that the acceleration of the masses is -26.5 ft/s^2. However, there may be a sign error in the calculations. Additionally, the time and velocity of the 250 pound mass hitting the ground are unknown.
chelito19

Homework Statement

a 250 pound mass, is released in rest (hanging at 20 ft) and pulls a 400 pound mass up a ramp with a 30º angle, the coefficient of friction between the 400 pound mass and the ramp is 0.5. Determine the velocity as the 250 pound mass hits the ground

Homework Equations

for the 400 pound mass
T-Fk-mgsin30=m1a
N-mgcos30=0
for the 250 pound mass
T-W=m2a

The Attempt at a Solution

when i have two equations to solve, my acceleration is negative -26.5 m/s2, because the mass is going down, but when i attempt to integrate to find the velocity, I need to find the time which also comes out negative giving me a not very logical answer

Physics news on Phys.org
I see two problems:

One is a sign problem. If the accelerations of m1 and m2 are a1 and a2, how are a1 and a2 related?

A bigger problem is that you seem to have the masses reversed. (Figure out the minimum force needed to lift that 400 lb mass up the ramp.)

Last edited:
First make sure all of your units agree. The forces described in the problem are in pounds, but your calculation for acceleration is in m/s^2. Considering -26.5 m/s^2 > g, and the acceleration should logically be smaller than g, I'm guessing you mistyped and meant to write -26.5 ft/s^2.

Also, since the acceleration is constant, there might be some useful equations for that condition which may save you from integrating (hint hint). To see if your answer makes sense in the end, compare it to the velocity of a free falling mass dropped from the same height.

Yes, I also thought the masses were reversed but that´s how they are presented in the picture, which is a little confusing. Thanks for the help

I think the acceleration are the same for a1 (going up the ramp) and a2 (going down the ramp)

chelito19 said:
Yes, I also thought the masses were reversed but that´s how they are presented in the picture, which is a little confusing.
Figure out the friction force and the component of the weight that acts down the ramp on the 400 lb mass. Then compare that to the 250 lb weight.

chelito19 said:
I think the acceleration are the same for a1 (going up the ramp) and a2 (going down the ramp)
Yes. But notice how you changed your sign. If up is positive, how would they relate?

I get a larger number for the mass that's resting on the ramp initially than the one that is hanging being held by the cord. Which would make the mass hanging come up to meet the pulley as the larger mass slides down the ramp, wouldn´t it?
the a2 is going down, which is negative so i figured that part out, but the time is the variable that is giving me trouble since i get v=26.5t and i don't know neither the velocity or time

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to lift or move objects by changing the direction of the force applied.

2. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by using the principle of mechanical advantage. This means that the force required to lift an object is reduced by using multiple pulleys. The more pulleys used, the less force is needed to lift the object.

3. What are the different types of pulley systems?

There are three main types of pulley systems - fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley is attached to a surface and does not move, a movable pulley is attached to the object being moved, and a compound pulley has both fixed and movable pulleys.

4. What are the advantages of using a pulley system?

The main advantage of using a pulley system is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift or move an object. This makes it easier and more efficient to perform tasks that require lifting heavy objects. Additionally, pulley systems can also be used to change the direction of the force applied.

5. How can I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system can be calculated by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the force applied to the rope or belt. For example, if an object weighs 100 pounds and it only takes 50 pounds of force to lift it using a pulley system, the mechanical advantage would be 2. This means that the pulley system reduces the force needed to lift the object by half.