Pulling a Piston - Thermodynamics Question

• Thread starter Tabeia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piston
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work in relation to the expansion of a gas in a cylinder with a piston. It is determined that the gas is doing work against the piston, but the person pulling the piston also has to do work against the atmosphere. This is due to the consideration of the entire system, where the gas pressure is not enough to offset the work needed to move the piston. A comparison is made between pulling the piston with and without air in the cylinder, and it is concluded that the gas is doing some work, but not as much as the person pulling the piston.
Tabeia
Hi, I'm studying thermodynamics and I got a question, it's not a homework or anything, it simply isn't covered in my book and it got me thinking
I know that if I have cylinder filled with gas, with a piston on top and there are weights on it maintaining an equilibrium if I remove the weights slowly the gas will expand doing work on the surroundings.
After all the gas molecules will be hitting the piston wall, and as the gas pressure is higher than the external pressure it will expand.

But what if I have a gas cylinder at let's say 1atm, with an external pressure of 1 atm, at equilibrium. No weights on it.
Let's say I pull the piston, I grab it with my hand and pull it.
What will happen?
At first I thought, ok, it will just do expansion work, reversible if I do it slowly, irreversible if I do it quickly...
But then I thought, no that isn't possible, the gas is not doing any work, it's not like with the weights where the only upward force is caused by the gas molecules, now I'm actually pulling the piston.
But my book says that if a gas expands against any moveable surface it's doing work...

Could somebody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Grab a plastic syringe and try!
Then compare your first thoughts with an experiment.
And ask again who (you or gas?) is doing a work (or more work...).

Well I tried that lol
Yes, it seems like I'm doing a good amount of work, but isn't the gas doing anything? Maybe something I can't detect with such crude experiment

Start with plunger all the way down. Plug hole and pull. Now start with some air in the cylinder. Plug hole and pull. Which is easier? Does that explain why gas is still doing work?

Hmm, I get it.
Now let's see with my math is right
If the pressure outside is 1atm, and I'm doing part of the work I can't calculate the work done by the gas simply
integrating(or multiplying since it's constant) the dV times the P.
So could I calculate it by removing the pressure caused by my force/area of the piston, and integrating?
Like if I'm doing a pulling force equal to 1N, the piston area is [itex]1m^2[/itex] the gas will be doing a work equals to
[itex]dW = (1atm-1Pa) * dV[/itex]
Yes, I realize I would need to pull harder with time since the pressure of the gas would decrease, but in the first infinitesimal moment I think it would be that.

You may take it that way: you are making a hard work against 1 atm pressure (times syringe piston area). And gas makes his work - not that hard - just its pressure is working.

Your book is correct. The gas is doing work against the piston. The reason you also have to do work against the piston is because you have to consider the entire system. When you pull on the piston, it has the gas inside the piston on one side, and the atmosphere on the other. If the gas is at a lower pressure than the atmosphere, then the gas is not doing enough work on the piston to offset the work the piston has to do on the atmosphere while it is moving. The extra work the piston has to do against the atmosphere comes from you.

1. What is "pulling a piston" in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, "pulling a piston" refers to the process of expanding or compressing a gas in a closed system by moving a piston. This movement can either be done manually or through the use of an external force, and it allows for changes in pressure and volume within the system.

2. How does pulling a piston affect the temperature of the gas?

Pulling a piston can affect the temperature of a gas through the process of adiabatic expansion or compression. When the piston is pulled, the gas expands and does work on the surroundings, causing a decrease in internal energy and a decrease in temperature. Conversely, when the piston is compressed, work is done on the gas, increasing its internal energy and temperature.

3. What is the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature when pulling a piston?

According to the ideal gas law, the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are all directly proportional. This means that when pulling a piston, if the volume of the gas increases, the pressure decreases and the temperature also decreases. Similarly, if the volume decreases, the pressure and temperature will increase.

4. Can pulling a piston lead to changes in the internal energy of a gas?

Yes, pulling a piston can lead to changes in the internal energy of a gas. This is because work is done on or by the gas during the process, causing a change in its internal energy. The amount of work done can be calculated using the equation W = -PΔV, where P is the pressure and ΔV is the change in volume.

5. How does the type of gas affect the process of pulling a piston?

The type of gas does not have a significant effect on the process of pulling a piston. The ideal gas law applies to all gases, so the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature will remain the same regardless of the type of gas. However, the specific heat capacity of the gas may affect the change in temperature during the process.