1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about integral used in Lattice Boltzmann text

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1
    I would have asked in math, but I was hoping the context of lattice boltzmann may make my question clearer. Given f is the number density of particles, v velocity, and u equilibrium velocity.

In a book(http://www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/physics.ndsu.edu/Wagner/LBbook.pdf equation 3.14), he derives mass conservation/continuity equation in terms of distribution function f:

NOTE: He's using Einstein index notation.

[tex]
    \begin{align}
    \partial_{t}\int f d v +
    \partial_\alpha\int f v_\alpha d v +
    F \int \partial_v f d v & =
    \frac{1}{\tau}\int (f^0 - f)d v \\
    \partial_t n + \partial_\alpha(n u_\alpha) & = 0
    \end{align}
    [/tex]

where I'm using equilbrium distribution f0 in place of f:
    [tex]
    f^0(v)=\frac{n}{(2\pi\theta)^{3/2}}\exp{-\frac{(v-u)^2}{2\theta}}
    [/tex]
    I'm reading along and get the first 2 terms of the lhs and rhs to be n, n u_alpha, and 0 respectively, but the third term on the lhs looks like it evaluates to zero. My question is, it looks like he's integrating a derivative of f wrt to a vector. I'm assuming this is a directional derivative and looked it up in wikipedia. However, when I throw it into mathematica (using the equilibrium distrubtion f0) and triple integrate, I don't get zero. Anybody shed some light on how he gets this? (If you can show me the integral in mathematica - so I can see that it works - that would be a bonus)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted