Question about integral used in Lattice Boltzmann text

In summary: This is because we are integrating over the entire velocity space, and the exponential term in the integrand ensures that the integral is equal to zero. Therefore, the mass conservation/continuity equation reduces to:\partial_t n + \partial_\alpha(n u_\alpha) = 0In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the mass conservation/continuity equation in the context of lattice Boltzmann. The equilibrium distribution f0 is used to evaluate the integral in Mathematica, which results in the third term on the left-hand side of the equation being equal to zero. This simplifies the equation to only include the first two terms on the left-hand side and the term on the right-hand side. The derivative of the equilibrium distribution f
Monty Hall
I would have asked in math, but I was hoping the context of lattice Boltzmann may make my question clearer. Given f is the number density of particles, v velocity, and u equilibrium velocity.

In a book(http://www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/physics.ndsu.edu/Wagner/LBbook.pdf equation 3.14), he derives mass conservation/continuity equation in terms of distribution function f:

NOTE: He's using Einstein index notation.

[tex]
\begin{align}
\partial_{t}\int f d v +
\partial_\alpha\int f v_\alpha d v +
F \int \partial_v f d v & =
\frac{1}{\tau}\int (f^0 - f)d v \\
\partial_t n + \partial_\alpha(n u_\alpha) & = 0
\end{align}
[/tex]

where I'm using equilbrium distribution f0 in place of f:
[tex]
f^0(v)=\frac{n}{(2\pi\theta)^{3/2}}\exp{-\frac{(v-u)^2}{2\theta}}
[/tex]
I'm reading along and get the first 2 terms of the lhs and rhs to be n, n u_alpha, and 0 respectively, but the third term on the lhs looks like it evaluates to zero. My question is, it looks like he's integrating a derivative of f wrt to a vector. I'm assuming this is a directional derivative and looked it up in wikipedia. However, when I throw it into mathematica (using the equilibrium distrubtion f0) and triple integrate, I don't get zero. Anybody shed some light on how he gets this? (If you can show me the integral in mathematica - so I can see that it works - that would be a bonus)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of the equilibrium distribution f0 with respect to the velocity vector v is as follows:\partial_v f^0 = -\frac{n}{(2\pi\theta)^{3/2}}(v-u)\exp{-\frac{(v-u)^2}{2\theta}}To evaluate the integral in Mathematica, we can use the following command:\int \partial_v f^0 \,dv = -\frac{n(v-u)}{(2\pi\theta)^{3/2}}\int \exp{-\frac{(v-u)^2}{2\theta}} \,dvThe result of this integral is zero, which implies that the third term on the left-hand side of the equation is equal to zero.

What is the Lattice Boltzmann method and how is it used in scientific research?

The Lattice Boltzmann method is a computational fluid dynamics technique used to simulate fluid flow at the microscopic level. It is based on the Boltzmann equation, which describes the behavior of particles in a fluid. In scientific research, it is used to study complex fluid flows, such as those found in porous media, multiphase systems, and biological systems.

What is the role of integrals in the Lattice Boltzmann method?

Integrals are used in the Lattice Boltzmann method to calculate the macroscopic properties of a fluid, such as density, velocity, and pressure. These properties are determined by summing up the microscopic contributions of individual particles using integral equations.

How does the Lattice Boltzmann method differ from traditional computational fluid dynamics techniques?

The Lattice Boltzmann method differs from traditional computational fluid dynamics techniques in that it is based on a mesoscopic approach, where the fluid is modeled as a collection of particles rather than a continuous medium. It also incorporates statistical mechanics principles, making it particularly useful for simulating complex fluid systems.

What are the advantages of using the Lattice Boltzmann method in scientific research?

The Lattice Boltzmann method offers several advantages over traditional computational fluid dynamics techniques. These include its ability to handle complex geometries and boundary conditions, its efficient parallel processing capabilities, and its ability to model multiphase and non-Newtonian fluids. It also provides a more intuitive understanding of fluid dynamics at the microscopic level.

What are the limitations of the Lattice Boltzmann method?

The Lattice Boltzmann method is limited by its inability to accurately model turbulent flows and its reliance on empirical models for certain fluid properties. It also requires large computational resources and can be computationally expensive for certain applications. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of fluid flow problems and may require calibration and validation for specific systems.