Simultaneity & Non-Invariant Variables: Is the Speed of Light Necessary?

• B
  • Thread starter DeltaForce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simultaneity
In summary, simultaneity is a non-invariant variable that is demonstrated by the famous example of lightning bolts striking a fast moving train or a projector shooting off two beams at the same time to receivers on opposite ends. This concept applies to all inertial reference frames and is not limited to signals travelling at the speed of light. Even with signals travelling at lower speeds, the effects of simultaneity can still be shown. It is important to understand that simultaneity is not affected by the speed of the signal, but rather by the relative velocity between reference frames. Looking at Minkowski diagrams can help visualize this concept.
DeltaForce
TL;DR Summary
I have a question about simultaneity.
The famous example demonstrating that simultaneity is an non-invariant variable would be the lighting bolts striking a fast moving train. Or a projector at a mid-point shooting off two beams at the same time to receivers on the opposite ends (for the person at rest and not on the train's reference frame)

My question is (and this may sound stupid): Is simultaneity an non-invariant variable only when the "signal" fired off at the mid point is traveling at the speed of light. As the speed of light is absolute and constant throughout all inertial reference frames. So... anything less than the speed of light, the effects of simultaneity an non-invariant variable wouldn't be shown?

If you don't understand what I'm trying to say, it's okay. I'm also not totally sure how simultaneity works in general. My head is all jumbled up on the inside so I don't really know what the hell I'm talking about. But this simultaneity shenanigans is really weighing on my mind right now, I really need to get it out of the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, in fact the relativity of simultaneity has nothing to do with signals or speeds, the example with the lightning bolts is just a demonstration of the concept. When we talk about simultaneity what we talk about is the simultaneity of two events, which are points in spacetime. Two events that are simultaneous in a given reference frame ##S## by definition have the same time coordinate ##t## and different space coordinates ##x_1## and ##x_2##, respectively. If you make a Lorentz boost to a frame ##S'## moving with speed ##v## relative to ##S##, you will find that
$$
t'_1 = \gamma(t - vx_1/c^2), \quad t'_2 = \gamma(t-vx_2/c^2) \quad \Longrightarrow \quad
(t_2 - t_1) = \frac{v(x_1-x_2)}{c^2}.
$$
Therefore, the events do not occur at the same ##t'## coordinate and therefore are not simultaneous in ##S'##.

Likes FactChecker
DeltaForce said:
So... anything less than the speed of light, the effects of simultaneity an non-invariant variable wouldn't be shown?
No. It's just harder to show with signals that don't travel at the speed of light.

I suspect you are imagining using a pair of guns with some muzzle velocity ##v## instead of flashlamps at the centre of the carriage. In the frame where the guns are moving at speed ##u## the bullets have velocities ##u+v## and ##u-v## and they always strike the carriage ends simultaneously, right? Unfortunately, this is wrong. The bullets actually have velocity ##(u+v)/(1+uv/c^2)## and ##(u-v)/(1-uv/c^2)##, so they strike non-simultaneously. The reason that you don't notice at every day speeds is that ##uv/c^2## is tiny, so the difference in simultaneity is well below your ability to detect (it makes a difference to about the fourteenth decimal place).

You don't need to do any of that if you do the experiment with light pulses because their speed is always ##c## by definition in this theory.

I strongly advise looking up how to draw Minkowski diagrams if you are confused about simultaneity. They are a really neat way to visualise relativity.

DeltaForce said:
Summary: I have a question about simultaneity.

The famous example demonstrating that simultaneity is an non-invariant variable would be the lighting bolts striking a fast moving train. Or a projector at a mid-point shooting off two beams at the same time to receivers on the opposite ends (for the person at rest and not on the train's reference frame)

My question is (and this may sound stupid): Is simultaneity an non-invariant variable only when the "signal" fired off at the mid point is traveling at the speed of light. As the speed of light is absolute and constant throughout all inertial reference frames. So... anything less than the speed of light, the effects of simultaneity an non-invariant variable wouldn't be shown?

If you don't understand what I'm trying to say, it's okay. I'm also not totally sure how simultaneity works in general. My head is all jumbled up on the inside so I don't really know what the hell I'm talking about. But this simultaneity shenanigans is really weighing on my mind right now, I really need to get it out of the system.

No. For a specific example, consider firing off electron beam, using the same midpoint formulation of simultaneity.

One says that electron beams of a known energy in an inertial frame travel at "the same velocity", regardless of direction. This is because the universe is "isotropic". We don't think, for instance, that identical electron beams pointed north should have a different velocity than ones pointed south. "Identical" can be quantified as "having the same energy" in this context, because the energy of the electrons in the beam controls the velocity of the beam.

The electron the share the same notion of simultaneity that light beams do, but they are not light and do not travel at light speed. This shouldn't be too surprising, because , while the beams don't travel at light speed for any finite energy, in the limit of very large energies they approach the speed of light.

For a reference on this point, which I think is very fundamental and interesting, see for instance the video "The Ultimate Speed", or the peer-reviewed paper written about it.

Really, the main reason to use light is that it's convenient, it always travels at "c" regardless of energy.

1. What is simultaneity and non-invariant variables?

Simultaneity refers to the concept of two events happening at the same time, while non-invariant variables are factors that can change or vary in different situations. In the context of physics, these terms are often used to describe the relationship between time and space.

2. Why is the speed of light necessary in understanding simultaneity and non-invariant variables?

The speed of light, denoted as 'c', is a fundamental constant in the theory of relativity. It is necessary because it is the maximum speed at which any physical object or information can travel in the universe. This means that the speed of light plays a crucial role in determining the simultaneity of events and the non-invariant variables involved.

3. How does the speed of light affect our perception of time and space?

The theory of relativity states that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that as an observer's speed increases, time slows down, and distances appear to contract. This phenomenon, known as time dilation and length contraction, respectively, is a direct result of the speed of light being a constant in the universe.

4. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. This means that it is impossible for any object or information to exceed the speed of light. Many experiments and observations have confirmed this theory, making the speed of light a fundamental limit in the universe.

5. How does the speed of light impact our understanding of the universe?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It is a fundamental constant that is used in many equations and theories, such as the theory of relativity and the laws of electromagnetism. Our understanding of the universe would be vastly different without the speed of light, as it helps us explain and predict the behavior of objects and phenomena in the universe.