Question about the Boltzmann distribution in combination with NMR

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple energy level system with two energy levels that match the spin of a proton in a magnetic field, which is important for NMR. The energy difference between the two levels is 0.013 cm-1 at a magnetic field of 400 MHz. The first question is to calculate the chance that the system is in the ground state at room temperature (293 K), using the Boltzmann distribution. The second question is about why people sometimes describe the result of reversing all spins in an NMR experiment as having a negative temperature, which is related to the Boltzmann distribution and the fact that chances cannot be greater than 1. The conversation ends with a request for help with the second question and
Lisa...
I need to answer the following question:

A simple energy level system has two energy levels. These are the energy levels matching the spin of a proton in a magnetic field. This is important for NMR. In that case the energy difference depends on the used magnetic field, but for a typical NMR machine of 400 MHz (that's the frequency in which the transitions take place for the proton) that energy difference is 0.013 cm-1 (or 2,5823616 * 10-25 J)

a) Calculate the chance that the system is in the ground state at room temperature (293 K).

I know the Boltzmann distribution is:

P(Ei) = (e-EiB) / ([tex]\Sigma[/tex]n e-EnB)

with [tex]B= \frac{1}{k_B T}[/tex] (at room temperature I've calculated that B= 2,470736379 * 10 20)

The only question is: how do I calculate the chance for the proton to be in the ground state if I don't know the energy of the ground state (only the energy difference between the two states) ?

b) While doing an NMR experiment all the spins are reversed. Why do people sometimes describe the result of this action with a negative temperature?

Well as for this question I know it has something to do with the Boltzmann distribution and the fact that the chances can't be bigger than 1, but could somebody please help me to figure out the EXACT reason?

I'll appreciate that a hell of a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
UPDATE: I've managed to figure out the first question!
I'd appreciate a bit of help with the second one very much!.

This link might help you

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/ParticleAndNuclear/neg_temperature.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Boltzmann distribution and how does it relate to NMR?

The Boltzmann distribution is a statistical concept that describes the distribution of energy among particles in a system. In NMR, it is used to explain the relative populations of different energy levels of nuclear spins in a sample.

2. How does the Boltzmann distribution affect the signal intensity in NMR spectra?

The signal intensity in NMR spectra is directly proportional to the populations of spins in different energy states. This is governed by the Boltzmann distribution, which predicts that higher energy states will have lower populations and therefore lower signal intensity.

3. Can the Boltzmann distribution be used to determine the temperature of a sample in NMR?

Yes, the Boltzmann distribution can be used to calculate the temperature of a sample in NMR by measuring the relative populations of spins in different energy states and using the Boltzmann equation to solve for temperature.

4. How does the applied magnetic field affect the Boltzmann distribution in NMR?

The applied magnetic field in NMR causes a separation in energy levels of nuclear spins, which leads to a greater difference in populations between the higher and lower energy states. This in turn affects the shape and intensity of NMR spectra.

5. Are there any other factors that can influence the Boltzmann distribution in NMR?

Yes, factors such as chemical shift, spin-spin coupling, and relaxation can also affect the relative populations of spins in different energy states and therefore impact the Boltzmann distribution in NMR.