Men: How Would You React to Being Contacted Out of the Blue?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the woman would be flattered if contacted out of the blue by a man that she found interesting, but would be creeped out if the man knew too much about her. If the man is a widely known public figure, the woman would probably be more creeped out.

How would you feel about a woman e-mailing you with no prior contact?

• She must be crazy

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I would be flattered

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Depends on what she looks like

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Depends on her personality

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters
Gale said:
Is this the guy?

mb.deutsch1024.jpg

I think you can do better Evo.

Evo said:
I'm open to requests. Of course, they'll have to listen to me whine. Nothing comes free.

Well. He looks a lot like my brother.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Jeans said:
Well. He looks a lot like my brother.
It's the guy on the right, not the left.

come on evo--just email him

Last edited:
Evo said:
It's the guy on the right, not the left.

:rofl: I REALLY hope you're being sarcastic.

rewebster said:
come on evo--just email him
Perhaps I should get drunk first?

Math Jeans said:
:rofl: I REALLY hope you're being sarcastic.
No, the guy I like is the guy with the glasses.

Evo said:
No, the guy I like is the guy with the glasses.

:bugeye: I meant the one on the left...

Sorry about that one :redface:.

Last edited:
How can you not like the guy on the right? Hes like a velvet owl or a human sock puppet.

Evo said:
Perhaps I should get drunk first?

"Six shots of 1800, please"

Kurdt said:
How can you not like the guy on the right? Hes like a velvet owl or a human sock puppet.
Removes Kurdt's GOOBF cards. :mad:

I'm dead serious about being attracted to this guy. I remember the first time I saw him on tv. <sigh>

Evo said:

I'm dead serious about being attracted to this guy. I remember the first time I saw him on tv. <sigh>

no--maybe Kurdt was saying that he looks 'warm and fuzzy'

(you know, that same feeling after six shots of 1800)

Last edited:
Evo said:

Well, he's clearly an acquired taste. But, that could work in your favor. He may be quite single and starved for a bit of flattery.

Okay, so maybe don't jump straight in and tell him you're attracted and sending a photo and all that, but why not talk about some other stuff...his lectures you've enjoyed, books you've read, or that we've been talking about his multiple universe theories here and you were curious to know more about that and interested in knowing which of his books might provide that information. If he responds to that, keep up the email conversation, then see where it leads. (And if we see him signing up here, we'll make sure this thread disappears. :biggrin:)

Moonbear said:
Well, he's clearly an acquired taste. But, that could work in your favor. He may be quite single and starved for a bit of flattery.

Okay, so maybe don't jump straight in and tell him you're attracted and sending a photo and all that, but why not talk about some other stuff...his lectures you've enjoyed, books you've read, or that we've been talking about his multiple universe theories here and you were curious to know more about that and interested in knowing which of his books might provide that information. If he responds to that, keep up the email conversation, then see where it leads. (And if we see him signing up here, we'll make sure this thread disappears. :biggrin:)
Perhaps I should send him an anonymous link to my OKC profile. :biggrin:

"He may be quite single and starved.. "

yeah--MB may be right--

-he surely needed someone to iron that shirt he was wearing in that video

Evo said:

:cry: I thought velvet owls and sock puppets were lovely. I didn't intend for it to be negative.

"Well, he's clearly an acquired taste."

I've got tears running down my face

Kurdt said:
:cry: I thought velvet owls and sock puppets were lovely. I didn't intend for it to be negative.
I have to admit I do like the velvet owl, similar to Mel Torme, the Velvet Fog.

Ok, <puts 10 GOOBF cards back into kurdt's computer>

I find him attractive, too. Engaging smile, intelligence. From the picture he appears to have a sense of frivolity. Let us not forget he's pretty darn good at what he does, and knows how to string words together in some meaningful way.

Even if he's taken, of another orientation or otherwise engaged, what the heck. The dialog
isn't likely to be dull if he's reasonably well rounded.

Guys, you got to give us SOME credit. *<)

Evo- he's nuts not to get in touch (insert "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" as background"). You're a beauty, inside and out.

Last edited:
OK---(finished, wiping the tears)

Evo, you had four choices on the poll----are there more (now)?

evo---have you been emailing him this whole time?

(If this scenario is what some women go through...oh, my)

Last edited:
Far Star said:
I find him attractive, too. Engaging smile, intelligence. From the picture he appears to have a sense of frivolity. Let us not forget he's pretty darn good at what he does, and knows how to string words together in some meaningful way.

Even if he's taken, of another orientation or otherwise engaged, what the heck. The dialog
isn't likely to be dull if he's reasonably well rounded.

Guys, you got to give us SOME credit. *<)

Evo- he's nuts not to get in touch (insert "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" as background"). You're a beauty, inside and out.
Thanks for the encouragement and the nice compliment Far Star. You see the same things I see in him. :approve:

I found out that one woman (now married) that I had met, had one of her male friends from another state, call me (supposedly randomly) and go through a 'list' of questions for some kind of 'random sampling' questionnaire---

There's a lot of things you COULD do, which one are you GOING to do?

Last edited:
rewebster said:
There's a lot of things you COULD do, which one are you GOING to do?
Probably wait until hell freezes over and he finds this thread.

rewebster- before the days of computers I've heard tell of reading the white page section of a major phone book to find an guys name or address. Okay, it was me. It worked. We dated. No happily ever after but it was worth the effort. A whole other thread, though.

Evo, you're welcome. I don't think you'll have to wait THAT long.

Far Star said:
rewebster- before the days of computers I've heard tell of reading the white page section of a major phone book to find an guys name or address. Okay, it was me. It worked. We dated. No happily ever after but it was worth the effort. A whole other thread, though.
Did you know something about him and just tracked him down through the phone book?

Last edited:
Sorry to let you down evo but I was only kidding when I said I knew his lab assistant.
But if you want his home address and #, it's quite easy to find... in case you didn't already know. Perhaps you could send him a personal letter via postal mail. Or even buy one of his books and ask him to autograph it for you. You could arrange to have it shipped via DHL, prepay for the envelope ofcourse to save him all the hassle. I bet all his OTHER stalkers contact him via email, so you would really stand apart :)

RetardedBastard said:
Sorry to let you down evo but I was only kidding when I said I knew his lab assistant.
But if you want his home address and #, it's quite easy to find... in case you didn't already know. Perhaps you could send him a personal letter via postal mail. Or even buy one of his books and ask him to autograph it for you. You could arrange to have it shipped via DHL, prepay for the envelope ofcourse to save him all the hassle. I bet all his OTHER stalkers contact him via email, so you would really stand apart :)
Now that's making me sound like a stalker. :smile:

No, I will wait until hell freezes over.

I guess I haven't made it clear, I think he's handsome, I think he's intelligent, maybe an e-mail. But I'm not obsessed, I'm not going to make up pretenses to talk to him, I'm not going to research what he likes and try to strike up a converstaion, I'm not going to try to engage him in a discussion of his work, I'm not going to fly acrosas the Atlantic to try to meet him in person. It was just going to be a simple e-mail saying that I think he has a fascinating mind and that he's cute.

Evo said:
I guess I haven't made it clear, I think he's handsome, I think he's intelligent, maybe an e-mail. But I'm not obsessed, I'm not going to make up pretenses to talk to him, I'm not going to research what he likes and try to strike up a converstaion, I'm not going to try to engage him in a discussion of his work, I'm not going to fly acrosas the Atlantic to try to meet him in person. It was just going to be a simple e-mail saying that I think he has a fascinating mind and that he's cute.

Dang it evo, as a friend I have to tell you now you've become delusional! You say you're not obsessed but you've created and posted on a thread with dozens of replies in a short period of time. THAT is not obsession? You're going to drive yourself crazy if this pace continutes. I'm giving you till tomorrow morning. If you havn't emailed him by then, I'm sending him a link to this discussion!

I don't see what the big deal of sending someone an e-mail saying you admire them.

I've done it to people of both sexes! Admiration for another person is completely normal and a positive thing (if it's for positive reasons).

RetardedBastard said:
Dang it evo, as a friend I have to tell you now you've become delusional! You say you're not obsessed but you've created and posted on a thread with dozens of replies in a short period of time. THAT is not obsession? You're going to drive yourself crazy if this pace continutes. I'm giving you till tomorrow morning. If you havn't emailed him by then, I'm sending him a link to this discussion!
And how will you know if she's emailed him or not? Better send it anyway, you know, just to be sure. :tongue2:

JasonRox said:
I don't see what the big deal of sending someone an e-mail saying you admire them.

I've done it to people of both sexes! Admiration for another person is completely normal and a positive thing (if it's for positive reasons).

Thrice said:
And how will you know if she's emailed him or not? Better send it anyway, you know, just to be sure. :tongue2:

Prepare to get banned!

:eek::bugeye::eek: DUN DUN DUUUNN :eek::bugeye::eek:

Evo- that probably did sound a little, uh, forward. He lived on the next block over. I didn't want to make a habit of strolling by on my walks if there was a Mrs. in front of his name. It turns out he was trying to figure out a way to meet me as well. Knowing something about him also gave me a little more confidence. Funny how that works.

Nope, no e-mail to a friend of a friend here. My fingers are walking over to a cup of hot cocoa instead.

It's good that you started this thread (despite what you might be thinking). I imagine there are other people faced with the same dilemma that are too shy to say anything.

Last edited:
Math Jeans said:
Prepare to get banned!

:eek::bugeye::eek: DUN DUN DUUUNN :eek::bugeye::eek:

Get in line. I'd be the first one to receive a swift banning after I said she was being delusional :)

wolram said:
Run for my life, only a crazy woman would do such a thing.
I've heard that sex with a crazy person can be very intense.

Wear a condom, and don't fall a sleep.

Evo said:
I'm afraid you're not safe either zoob.
Safe from what?