Question makes no sense, but should be simple

• Thread starter SoulInNeed
  • Start date
In summary: Are you saying it would just even out on both sides of the equation?Perhaps there is another way to consider the problem without the details of the disk.
SoulInNeed
1. There is a circular disk with a string wrapped around its center. We attached a mass to the string, and the force caused it to rotate. Now, the hypothetical question is "The hanging mass m is exerting a constant downward force of magnitude mg on our system. What would happen to the angular acceleration of our system if the hanging mass were removed and replaced by a constant downward force of equal magnitude, but with no associated mass?"

Homework Equations

Net Torque=Ia
I=mr^2
sum of force=mg-T=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My first instinct was to say that nothing would change because the force would stay the same, but now I think that the angular acceleration would increase, because the lack of any associated mass would cause the inertia to decrease. Any help guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say your first instinct is right.

SoulInNeed said:

Homework Equations

sum of force=mg-T=ma

Remember, it is the sum of forces being considered. You don't consider the mass 'm' alone, you consider the weight 'mg'. So essentially, you are replacing the weight (a force) with a similar downward force with the same magnitude.

rock.freak667 said:
I'd say your first instinct is right.

Remember, it is the sum of forces being considered. You don't consider the mass 'm' alone, you consider the weight 'mg'. So essentially, you are replacing the weight (a force) with a similar downward force with the same magnitude.
That's what I was thinking, but that equation applies to translational acceleration, and this equation deals with angular acceleration. For that, we use the equation torque=Inertia*angular acceleration, right? Wouldn't the loss of a mass (even if its force remains) simply reduce inertia, and thus, increase angular acceleration?

SoulInNeed said:
That's what I was thinking, but that equation applies to translational acceleration, and this equation deals with angular acceleration. For that, we use the equation torque=Inertia*angular acceleration, right? Wouldn't the loss of a mass (even if its force remains) simply reduce inertia, and thus, increase angular acceleration?

Wouldn't it work out the same way if you take moments about the disk?

mgr-Tr= Iα
with I being the mass moment of inertia of the disk.

rock.freak667 said:
Wouldn't it work out the same way if you take moments about the disk?

mgr-Tr= Iα
with I being the mass moment of inertia of the disk.
Are you saying it would just even out on both sides of the equation?

Perhaps there is another way to consider the problem without the details of the disk. In one case energy goes into rotating the disk plus the kinetic energy of the mass. In the second case only the disk gains kinetic energy.

1. What does "Question makes no sense, but should be simple" mean?

This phrase is often used to describe a question that is confusing or unclear, but should have a straightforward answer.

2. How do you respond to a question that makes no sense?

If a question is truly nonsensical, it may not be possible to provide a meaningful response. However, it can be helpful to ask for clarification or rephrase the question in a more understandable way.

3. Why do people ask questions that make no sense?

There could be a variety of reasons, such as being confused, trying to be funny, or simply not knowing how to articulate their thoughts clearly.

4. Is it important to make sense when asking a question?

Yes, clear and logical communication is essential in order to receive accurate and helpful responses. If a question does not make sense, it can lead to misunderstandings and ineffective problem-solving.

5. How can I improve my ability to ask sensible questions?

Practice and pay attention to how others ask questions. Also, make sure to think carefully about what you want to know and try to phrase it in a concise and specific manner.