Question on populations and communities

• Thread starter dioprem
  • Start date

Homework Statement

http://i41.tinypic.com/1079dsk.jpg
This is the given question for a grade 6 student during his exams. I was asked to provide an answer for him but I have a few doubts.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that option B is definitely wrong as the 4 spiders could easily be of the same species. Similarly option D is wrong as 19 populations of animals would imply 19 different species of animals and that cannot be concluded from the diagram. That leaves only options (1) and (3) as the only possible correct answers. I understand why E is correct. However, I would have thought A and C would also be correct.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
Sorry, doc told me to not tilt my head.

Sorry, doc told me to not tilt my head.

Sorry didn't realize the photo was tilted. Will upload a new copy once I'm back home.

Sorry here is the straightened image.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/18/bykn.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek
Mentor
What is the definition of the community?

What is the definition of the community?
Its defined as 2 or more populations living together in the same habitat and interacting with each other as well as their surroundings.

Borek
Mentor
Do the observation say anything about interactions?

Note: populations living in the same place don't create a community as long as their interactions don't shape the populations.

Do the observation say anything about interactions?

Note: populations living in the same place don't create a community as long as their interactions don't shape the populations.
Ah, I see. All the diagram shows is how many of each animal there is. Not if they interact with each other in any way. So there is no way to conclude if they form a community. But how would I conclude that the plant is a habitat of the organisms? Because it was mentioned that the observation was made over a period of time?

Borek
Mentor
Again, it may be a matter of definition - but if animals appear on the plant now and then, it is definitely at least part of their habitat.