Question on populations and communities

• Thread starter dioprem
  • Start date
In summary, the observation does not provide any information about interactions between the populations.
dioprem

Homework Statement

http://i41.tinypic.com/1079dsk.jpg
This is the given question for a grade 6 student during his exams. I was asked to provide an answer for him but I have a few doubts.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that option B is definitely wrong as the 4 spiders could easily be of the same species. Similarly option D is wrong as 19 populations of animals would imply 19 different species of animals and that cannot be concluded from the diagram. That leaves only options (1) and (3) as the only possible correct answers. I understand why E is correct. However, I would have thought A and C would also be correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, doc told me to not tilt my head.

Borek said:
Sorry, doc told me to not tilt my head.

Sorry didn't realize the photo was tilted. Will upload a new copy once I'm back home.

Sorry here is the straightened image.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/18/bykn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the definition of the community?

Borek said:
What is the definition of the community?

Its defined as 2 or more populations living together in the same habitat and interacting with each other as well as their surroundings.

Do the observation say anything about interactions?

Note: populations living in the same place don't create a community as long as their interactions don't shape the populations.

Borek said:
Do the observation say anything about interactions?

Note: populations living in the same place don't create a community as long as their interactions don't shape the populations.

Ah, I see. All the diagram shows is how many of each animal there is. Not if they interact with each other in any way. So there is no way to conclude if they form a community. But how would I conclude that the plant is a habitat of the organisms? Because it was mentioned that the observation was made over a period of time?

Again, it may be a matter of definition - but if animals appear on the plant now and then, it is definitely at least part of their habitat.

1. What is the difference between a population and a community?

A population refers to a group of individuals of the same species living in a specific area and interacting with each other. On the other hand, a community refers to all the populations of different species living and interacting in the same area.

2. How do populations and communities change over time?

Populations and communities change over time due to various factors such as birth and death rates, immigration and emigration of individuals, and changes in environmental conditions. These changes can impact the size, composition, and dynamics of populations and communities.

3. What is carrying capacity and how does it affect populations?

Carrying capacity refers to the maximum number of individuals that can be sustained by an environment or ecosystem. When a population exceeds its carrying capacity, limited resources and competition for those resources can lead to a decrease in population size through factors such as starvation and disease.

4. What are the different types of interactions between species in a community?

The different types of species interactions in a community include competition, predation, mutualism, commensalism, and parasitism. These interactions can have both positive and negative effects on the populations involved and can shape the structure and dynamics of the community.

5. How do human activities impact populations and communities?

Human activities such as deforestation, pollution, and overexploitation of resources can have significant impacts on populations and communities. These activities can lead to habitat destruction, loss of biodiversity, and disruption of natural interactions between species, ultimately affecting the health and stability of populations and communities.