1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on populations and communities

1. Jan 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://i41.tinypic.com/1079dsk.jpg
    This is the given question for a grade 6 student during his exams. I was asked to provide an answer for him but I have a few doubts.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that option B is definitely wrong as the 4 spiders could easily be of the same species. Similarly option D is wrong as 19 populations of animals would imply 19 different species of animals and that cannot be concluded from the diagram. That leaves only options (1) and (3) as the only possible correct answers. I understand why E is correct. However, I would have thought A and C would also be correct.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, doc told me to not tilt my head.

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3

Sorry didn't realize the photo was tilted. Will upload a new copy once I'm back home.

5. Jan 28, 2014 #4
    Sorry here is the straightened image.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/18/bykn.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Jan 29, 2014 #5

Borek

What is the definition of the community?

7. Jan 29, 2014 #6
    Its defined as 2 or more populations living together in the same habitat and interacting with each other as well as their surroundings.

8. Jan 30, 2014 #7

Borek

Do the observation say anything about interactions?

Note: populations living in the same place don't create a community as long as their interactions don't shape the populations.

9. Jan 30, 2014 #8
    Ah, I see. All the diagram shows is how many of each animal there is. Not if they interact with each other in any way. So there is no way to conclude if they form a community. But how would I conclude that the plant is a habitat of the organisms? Because it was mentioned that the observation was made over a period of time?

10. Jan 30, 2014 #9

Borek

Again, it may be a matter of definition - but if animals appear on the plant now and then, it is definitely at least part of their habitat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted