Quick question - Flux through a sphere

In summary, to evaluate the double integral ∫∫r.ndS, where r=(x,y,z) and n is a normal unit vector to the surface S, which is a sphere of radius a centered on the origin, the polar coordinate system can be used. The surface element is dS = a^2sinθdθdø and the limits of integration are θ from 0 to π and ø from 0 to 2π. This gives a final answer of 4πa^3.
Zatman

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫∫r.ndS where r=(x,y,z) and n is a normal unit vector to the surface S, which is a sphere of radius a centred on the origin.

2. The attempt at a solution

I decided to use polar coordinates. The radius of the sphere is clearly constant, a. So a surface element is dS = a2dθdø.

r = a(sinθcosø, sinθsinø, cosθ)

n = (sinθcosø, sinθsinø, cosθ)

r.n = a

therefore, ∫∫r.ndS = ∫∫a3dθdø

where θ varies from 0 to 2π, and ø varies from 0 to π.

This gives an answer of 2π2a3. Is this correct? I'm not so sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot that
[tex]\mathrm{d} S=a^2 \sin \theta \mathrm{d} \theta \mathrm{d} \phi.[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Good point, thank you.

But then I get ∫∫a3sinθdθdø

Which evaluates to zero. Are the limits incorrect?

Zatman said:
Good point, thank you.

But then I get ∫∫a3sinθdθdø

Which evaluates to zero. Are the limits incorrect?

Yes: If [itex]z = r\cos\theta[/itex] (there are two exactly opposite conventions for the angle coordinates) then [itex]dS = r^2 \sin\theta\,d\theta\,d\phi[/itex] and the sphere is given by [itex]0 \leq \theta \leq \pi[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq \phi \leq 2\pi[/itex].

Also: once you have that [itex]\mathbf{r} \cdot \mathbf{n} = a[/itex] you know that the answer must be [itex]a[/itex] times the surface area of a sphere of radius [itex]a[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Oh, I had theta and phi mixed up. So that gives

∫∫r.ndS = ∫(2a3)dø

from 0 to 2π, hence

= 4πa3

1. What is flux through a sphere?

The flux through a sphere is the measure of the flow of a vector field through the surface of a sphere. It is a way to quantify the amount of a vector field that is passing through a given surface.

2. How is the flux through a sphere calculated?

The flux through a sphere can be calculated using the surface integral formula: Flux = ∫∫S F ⋅ dS, where F is the vector field and dS is the differential surface area element of the sphere.

3. What is the unit of measurement for flux through a sphere?

The unit of measurement for flux through a sphere is typically represented as N⋅m^2/C or V⋅m, which stands for Newton-meters squared per Coulomb or Volts times meters, respectively.

4. What factors affect the flux through a sphere?

The flux through a sphere is affected by the strength and direction of the vector field, the size and shape of the sphere, and the orientation of the sphere in relation to the vector field.

5. What is the significance of calculating flux through a sphere?

Calculating flux through a sphere is important in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering, as it allows us to understand the flow of a vector field and its effects on different surfaces. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of air and water flow systems.