Quick Question on Sets: Sketching H = {(x,y) : xy = 0} - Explained

• Thread starter Benny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch a subspace question involving the set H = {(x,y) : xy = 0}. It is mentioned that one of the questions involves finding points where x = 0 and help is requested in understanding the notation used. The expert then explains that xy = 0 is equivalent to one of the factors being 0, and provides a method for finding possible values of x and y. It is also clarified that the conversation is not about an assignment question.
Benny
Hi I'm just wondering how I would sketch the following, it's part of a subspace question.

H = {(x,y) : xy = 0}

I don't thinking dividing my x will do that much. If x is not equal to zero then dividing by x gives me y = 0. But what would happen for points (x,y) where x = 0?

It's one of the questions in my question booklet, not an assignment question. I wouldn't post an assignment question on the internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, [itex]xy = 0 \Leftrightarrow x = 0\,\, \vee \,\,y = 0[/itex]

I am not familiar with the notation that you have used. Does the v mean "or?" Thanks for the help.

Yes, indeed.
A product of two factors is 0 iff at least one of them is 0.

If x isn't zero, you can divide by x and find that y has to be zero.
If y isn't zero, you can divide by y and find that x has to be zero.
In the last case both are zero, and then you have the element (0,0)

Thanks again, what you've said makes sense.

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, that have common characteristics or properties. These objects can be anything, such as numbers, letters, or even other sets.

2. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set refers to the number of elements in that set. It is also known as the size or the order of the set.

3. How do you represent a set?

A set is typically represented using curly braces { } and listing the elements inside, separated by commas. For example, a set of even numbers from 1 to 10 can be represented as {2, 4, 6, 8, 10}.

4. What is the difference between a set and a subset?

A subset is a set that contains only elements that are also in another set, called the superset. In other words, all elements of a subset are also elements of the superset. However, a set can also contain elements that are not in the superset.

5. What are the different types of sets?

There are several types of sets, such as finite and infinite sets, empty sets, and universal sets. Other types include disjoint sets, intersecting sets, and proper subsets.