Which Derivative of f(x) = x^n Is Zero?

• Thread starter Gill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the conversation is discussing the first derivative of a function with a power of x raised to a positive integer. The question is asking how many times the function needs to be differentiated to get a constant or zero. The answer is n+1 times, as each time the derivative is taken, the exponent reduces by one and the derivative of a constant is zero. The conversation also includes a reminder to use more descriptive thread titles when seeking help.
Gill
i got this question from a friend and its bugging me because i cannot understand it. i just cannot understand what it means... here is it, word for word what i have on the assigned paper

"if f(x) = x^n , "n" is a positive interger, the first derivative of f(x) which is identically zero is "

A) the nth
B) the (n-1)st
C) the (n+2)nd
D) the first
E) the (n+1)st

those are the options...am I to assume that its so easy that its B? i am hesitant to pick B tho because this teacher is known for his tricks and it seemed a little too easy...a little help would be great for my friend and myself

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest trying a few simple example like [itex]x^2[/itex] and so forth - you should see a pattern emerge! :)

Basically, it takes n iterations to get to a constant, and then one more.

Not sure if you got this already, but the question is asking "How many times do you need to differentiate this thing to get 0?"

It's worded in a tricky manner, but essentially, what do you know about differentiating a constant? How many times will you need to differentiate to get a constant? Then, how many times will you have to differentiate that to get 0?

PS - please use more descriptive thread titles. I've noticed a few threads by you with no indication as to what lies within. It makes it very difficult to get help when you need it if people skip over it!

The answer is n+1 times

The hint lies in the fact
The nth differential of f(X)=x^n gives a constant
And n+1th diffrential i.e of a constant gives us Zero

Remember that each time you take de derivative, the exponent reduces by one.
And the derivative of a constant is zero.
Ciao

1. What do I do if I don't understand a math question?

If you're confused by a math question, the first thing you should do is reread the question carefully. Pay attention to any keywords or phrases that may help you understand what the question is asking.

2. Can I ask someone to explain a math question to me?

Yes, you can ask a teacher, tutor, or classmate to explain a math question to you. It's important to ask for help when you don't understand something, as it can help you learn and improve your understanding of the concept.

3. How can I break down a complex math question?

To break down a complex math question, try to identify the different components and steps involved in solving the problem. You can also try working backwards from the solution to see how the question is structured.

4. Is it okay to use a calculator to solve math questions?

Using a calculator can be helpful in solving math questions, but it's important to also understand the underlying concepts and formulas. If you're relying too heavily on a calculator, it may be beneficial to practice solving problems without it.

5. What should I do if I'm still confused after getting help?

If you're still confused after getting help, try approaching the question from a different angle or using a different method of solving. You can also try practicing similar problems to strengthen your understanding of the concept.