Solving a Quick Velocity Problem: Catching a Hummer in Motion

• Thread starter Speedking96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the problem asks for the constant velocity at which the runner should run to catch a hummer that is 20 meters away and accelerating at 3 m/s/s. By setting the equations for the runner's distance and the hummer's distance equal to each other, we can solve for the time at which they intersect. The resulting equation is quadratic and has a parameter for the runner's velocity. The two solutions for time will be real or imaginary, depending on whether the runner is fast enough to catch the hummer. The one solution where the two times are equal represents the minimum velocity needed to just barely catch the hummer.
Speedking96

Homework Statement

When you are 20 m away from a stopped hummer it begins accelerating away from you at 3 m/s/s . With what constant velocity should you run to catch the hummer?

Homework Equations

Vf ^2 = Vi ^2 + 2ad

d = Vi * t + 0.5at^2

Vf = Vi + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to approach the problem. Assuming that they are asking for the minimum velocity...

Distance for runner:

Velocity (time) - 20 meters

Distance for hummer:

= 3/2 (t^2)

To find the initial velocity you would set the two equations equal to each other, but ther is also the time variable?!

Can someone please guide me. Thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
Speedking96 said:

Homework Statement

When you are 20 m away from a stopped hummer it begins accelerating away from you at 3 m/s/s . With what constant velocity should you run to catch the hummer?

Homework Equations

Vf ^2 = Vi ^2 + 2ad

d = Vi * t + 0.5at^2

Vf = Vi + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to approach the problem. Assuming that they are asking for the minimum velocity...

Distance for runner:

Velocity (time) - 20 meters

Distance for hummer:

= 3/2 (t^2)

To find the initial velocity you would set the two equations equal to each other, but ther is also the time variable?!

Can someone please guide me. Thank you...

To gain some insight into this type of problem, try using a graph. Put time t on the horizontal axis, and put distance d on the vertical axis. Place the starting distance of the Hummer up at 20m on the distance axis, and your starting position at d=0 on the vertical axis. Both of these points are at t=0 so far, makes sense?

Now, since the position versus time graph of the Hummer which has constant acceleration depends on t^2, what is the shape of that graph? What is it called? And your velocity is constant, so what is the shape of your d=f(t) graph? What is it called?

And finally, the problem says that you manage to barely intercept the Hummer, so what does that mean about the two graphs crossing?

You have equations for the f=d(t) for each of the graphs, set them equal at the one intersection point, and solve for it...

Please show your work :smile:

berkeman said:
To gain some insight into this type of problem, try using a graph. Put time t on the horizontal axis, and put distance d on the vertical axis. Place the starting distance of the Hummer up at 20m on the distance axis, and your starting position at d=0 on the vertical axis. Both of these points are at t=0 so far, makes sense?

Now, since the position versus time graph of the Hummer which has constant acceleration depends on t^2, what is the shape of that graph? What is it called? And your velocity is constant, so what is the shape of your d=f(t) graph? What is it called?

And finally, the problem says that you manage to barely intercept the Hummer, so what does that mean about the two graphs crossing?

You have equations for the f=d(t) for each of the graphs, set them equal at the one intersection point, and solve for it...

Please show your work :smile:

The hummer would have a parabolic shape where as the runner would be a linear function. It makes complete sense now. However, the equations have 2 variables.

Runner: y=ax

Hummer: y=3/2(x^2) + 20

How would I solve that when there is an "a" variable and an "x" variable.

I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Speedking96 said:
For the minimum a, what will be the special relationship between the line and the parabola?
the y=ax will be tangential to the parabola, right? Write an expression for the slope of the tangent at x.

haruspex said:
For the minimum a, what will be the special relationship between the line and the parabola?
the y=ax will be tangential to the parabola, right? Write an expression for the slope of the tangent at x.

I am not familiar with writing the tangential expression. I know that tangential (in this context) means that the runner will "intersect" the hummer once at some time t.

Speedking96 said:
I am not familiar with writing the tangential expression. I know that tangential (in this context) means that the runner will "intersect" the hummer once at some time t.
Tangential means it will touch but not cross. Varying the speed of the runner means varying the slope of the straight line. At the minimum speed, if you were to lower the slope any more then it would miss the parabola. At this point, it is a tangent to the parabola.
Do you know how to work out the slope of a parabola at a point? Where the lines touch they willl have same slope.

Speedking96 said:
The hummer would have a parabolic shape where as the runner would be a linear function. It makes complete sense now. However, the equations have 2 variables.

I appreciate your help.

These are the equations you need. Just set y for the runner equal to y for the Hummer, and solve the resulting quadratic equation (using the quadratic formula) for the time x at which the two y's are equal (in terms of a). For any given value of the velocity a, this quadratic equation will have two solutions for x. The two solutions are real if the runner is more than fast enough to catch the Hummer, and imaginary if the runner is not fast enough to catch the Hummer. There is one case in which the two real solutions are equal, and this is the case where the runner is just barely fast enough to catch the Hummer.

Chet

Last edited:
Speedking96 said:

I appreciate your help.

When they meet the two have the same position, y.
Equating the two expressions you will have a quadratic equation in x (which is actually time) with a parameter a (velocity).
You will see that for the quadratic equation to have solutions, a should satisfy some condition.
And that condition will provide the minimum value of a (velocity).

Likes 1 person
ax = 3/2 (x^2) + 20

0 = 3/2 (x^2) - ax + 20

At this point, I don't think I know how to solve for "a".

No, you solve for x not for a.
Do you know the quadratic formula, with that square root in it?

nasu said:
No, you solve for x not for a.
Do you know the quadratic formula, with that square root in it?

(-a±√(-a)^2 -4(3/2)(20))/3

(-a±√(a^2 - 120)) / 3

Speedking96 said:
(-a±√(-a)^2 -4(3/2)(20))/3

(-a±√(a^2 - 120)) / 3

Good. Now, in order for your quadratic equation to have only one real root, what does "a" have to be?

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
Good. Now, in order for your quadratic equation to have only one real root, what does "a" have to be?

Root of 120! =0

Speedking96 said:
Root of 120! =0

Hu? Does this mean that [itex]a=\sqrt{120}[/itex]? If so, then you are correct. This would be the runner's speed just barely adequate for the runner to catch up with the Hummer. Anything less than this, and he wouldn't make it. Anything greater, and he would pass the back end of the Hummer before it caught up with him again.

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
Hu? Does this mean that [itex]a=\sqrt{120}[/itex]? If so, then you are correct. This would be the runner's speed just barely adequate for the runner to catch up with the Hummer. Anything less than this, and he wouldn't make it. Anything greater, and he would pass the back end of the Hummer before it caught up with him again.

Yep. That's exactly what I mean. Thank you for helping me through this problem. I greatly, appreciate it... my physics teacher would freak out if I told him I needed help.

Thank you once again.

Related to Solving a Quick Velocity Problem: Catching a Hummer in Motion

1. What is Quick Velocity Problem?

Quick Velocity Problem is a type of problem in physics that involves calculating the velocity of an object in a given time frame. It is often used to determine the speed at which an object is moving or to predict its future position.

2. How do I solve a Quick Velocity Problem?

To solve a Quick Velocity Problem, you will need to know the distance travelled by the object and the time it took to travel that distance. You can then use the formula: velocity = distance/time to calculate the velocity of the object.

3. What units should I use for Quick Velocity Problem?

The standard unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s). However, you can also use other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) depending on the given information in the problem.

4. Can I use Quick Velocity Problem to calculate acceleration?

No, Quick Velocity Problem only calculates the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. To calculate acceleration, you will need to know the initial and final velocities of an object, as well as the time it took to change from one velocity to another.

5. Are there any common mistakes made when solving Quick Velocity Problems?

One common mistake is using the wrong units or forgetting to convert units when necessary. Another mistake is not paying attention to the direction of the velocity, which can result in incorrect answers. It is important to carefully read and understand the given information in the problem before attempting to solve it.