What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,831
WWGD said:
Or we can make it otherwise: Let's convince Al Franken to hook up his daughter with Ben Stein's son...
Boo, BOO! Joke done to death.

WWGD said:
Though for name's sake, I always wanted a congressional committee formed by Akaka, Sununu, Shalala: Akaka-Sununu-Shalala. Sounds more interesting than any other I have seen so far.

Ha-Hah! They need to sponsor a joint bill in congress.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,832
WWGD said:
Or we can make it otherwise: Let's convince Al Franken to hook up his daughter with Ben Stein's son...

Though for name's sake, I always wanted a congressional committee formed by Akaka, Sununu, Shalala: Akaka-Sununu-Shalala. Sounds more interesting than any other I have seen so far.
Or just make a
Klystron said:
Boo, BOO! Joke done to death.

How about Joel Osteen and someone with last name Frank?Ha-Hah! They need to sponsor a joint bill in congress.
How about one by Donna Brazzille, Neal Israel and Jeffrey Canada?

How about Joel Osteen and someone with last name Frank?

• #4,833
fresh_42 said:
I only want to know: what did Miró and Kandinsky take?
To be sure. You have spanned the continent from Spain to Mother Russia. I was self-limiting to one country, France, even one city, Paris, and one small school, post-Impressionism, and still the number of painters worthy of study remains staggering.

Comedic lore has John Cleese creating a character with a tag line loosely based on Joan Miró, "He's from Barcelona.".

• #4,834
A professor of mine was a Kandinsky fan, and I cannot help but think "the work of a four year old" if I see a Miró, even standing right in front of one in Madrid. I'm a big fan of dadaism, so I'm used to a certain quantity of absurdity (greetings to @WWGD), but Miró and to some extend Kandinsky, too, are just premature colorbook paintings to me - I don't get them. But I have a similar problem with Mozart, so it's probably my fault.

• #4,835
Klystron said:
You have spanned the continent from Spain to Mother Russia.
2-3 hours of flight each, so still in my neighborhood!

Likes Klystron
  • #4,836
fresh_42 said:
A professor of mine was a Kandinsky fan, and I cannot help but think "the work of a four year old" if I see a Miró, even standing right in front of one in Madrid. I'm a big fan of dadaism, so I'm used to a certain quantity of absurdity (greetings to @WWGD), but Miró and to some extend Kandinsky, too, are just premature colorbook paintings to me - I don't get them. But I have a similar problem with Mozart, so it's probably my fault.
I love old Wolfgang and I like to think I get 'modern art' but then I used to think I understood Cantor. So, who knows?

I would trade a week at MOMA for a few minutes admiring a Rembrandt or even Goya. New York City is at least a 5 hour flight for me. San Francisco and the De Young museum are a short hop away. I envy your location as I know Europe only from Art (conceding "Berlin Station" and "Suburra" as art).

• #4,837
Klystron said:
I love old Wolfgang and I like to think I get 'modern art' but then I used to think I understood Cantor. So, who knows?

I would trade a week at MOMA for a few minutes admiring a Rembrandt or even Goya. New York City is at least a 5 hour flight for me. San Francisco and the De Young museum are a short hop away. I envy your location as I know Europe only from Art (conceding "Berlin Station" and "Suburra" as art).

Are you based in Seattle or SF?

• #4,838
WWGD said:
Are you based in Seattle or SF?
I'm from the SF Bay Area. I have lived in the City, even volunteered as a docent at the De Young for a time. Great fun, first look at new exhibits plus free chocolate covered strawberries :cool:. Retired now; so, hardly any fun. To quote Monty Python, "You're no fun anymore!".

• #4,839
Klystron said:
I would trade a week at MOMA for a few minutes admiring a Rembrandt or even Goya.
I remember that I once had the chance to see a Picasso and that I was very surprised that it made such a big difference to see an original compared to the many prints everywhere which we all know. Never would have imagined this, the more as I'm not really interested in paintings, i.e. it surprised me that even a cretin like me could recognize a difference.

Likes BillTre and Klystron
  • #4,840
fresh_42 said:
I remember that I once had the chance to see a Picasso and that I was very surprised that it made such a big difference to see an original compared to the many prints everywhere which we all know. Never would have imagined this, the more as I'm not really interested in paintings, i.e. it surprised me that even a cretin like me could recognize a difference.
Cubism struck me as grotesque until I realized the N-dimensional quality forgetting the 'flat' canvas. Old Pablo also sculpted, fired ceramics and built musical instruments. At my first college I designed and built some exotic wooden string instruments. Not really playable but look great hanging on the wall.

Totally agree with experiencing art in vivo. Gustav Mahler used to leave me cold until a girlfriend invited me to a live concert. You feel his music in your body, not just hear it.

Likes BillTre
  • #4,841
In a forum I was common a few years ago we had a moderator with the nickname of 'Research Fellow of Advanced Trollistics'.
Unfortunately he gave up his studies...

Likes WWGD, Klystron and fresh_42
  • #4,842
Rive said:
In a forum I was common a few years ago we had a moderator with the nickname of 'Research Fellow of Advanced Trollistics'.
Unfortunately he gave up his studies...
Only now he does Trollistic Logistics, which is Bombastic, Fantastic.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,843
In Helsinki's discos everyone gets a Lapp dance...

Likes nuuskur and Klystron
  • #4,844
Kitty was put to sleep yesterday. The way I see it, he'd long used up his 9 lives. r.i.p

• #4,845
The woman at the gas station urged me to estimate her age after she claimed that smoking wouldn't make people look older. She shouldn't have asked. I said 40 for sure. She was 39.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,846
fresh_42 said:
The woman at the gas station urged me to estimate her age after she claimed that smoking wouldn't make people look older. She shouldn't have asked. I said 40 for sure. She was 39.
I always go for "around 75 , right"? What can go wrong?

Likes nsaspook
  • #4,847
WWGD said:
You should have seen her nails! I just say Florence Griffith-Joyner.

• #4,848
fresh_42 said:
You should have seen her nails! I just say Florence Griffith-Joyner.
The runner? Oh, you mean those long, unruly fingernails? Just wondering now why they are called nails.

• #4,849
WWGD said:
I was asked that by a chainsmoker and due to my complete lack of tact I replied "45? give or take a few". She was 30 at the time. Oh well, she reaps what she sows, ey?

Likes WWGD
  • #4,850
A new exposition in German art, maybe some would like it: "Welcome to Bauhaus, you can take control now..." At least that is what Flo' said. Notce how he mispronounces and says "my house" instead.;).

Last edited:
  • #4,851
WWGD said:
A new exposition in German art, maybe some would like it: "Welcome to Bauhaus, you can take control now..." At least that is what Flo' said.[snip]
Pardon me for not watching the vid but I recognize the allusion. The singer might be paraphrasing writer Tom Wolfe
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0312429142/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I have an old (1981) copy of "From Our House to Bauhaus". Wolfe really nailed modern architects. Leaving off cornices and rain gutters on square block concrete buildings to conform to Bauhaus school orthodoxy leads to ugly streaks in wet weather.

• #4,852
Klystron said:
Pardon me for not watching the vid but I recognize the allusion. The singer might be paraphrasing writer Tom Wolfe
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0312429142/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I have an old (1981) copy of "From Our House to Bauhaus". Wolfe really nailed modern architects. Leaving off cornices and rain gutters on square block concrete buildings to conform to Bauhaus school orthodoxy leads to ugly streaks in wet weather.
My only real issue in architecture, of which I know very little , is not having too many older buildings ( city stuck in the past) nor too many new ones ( no history, character). And I don't really like parks that much. When I tell people this, they react as if I had said I like to kick puppies or something; it seems to be a taboo of some sort.

Likes Klystron
  • #4,853
WWGD said:
My only real issue in architecture, of which I know very little , is not having too many older buildings ( city stuck in the past) nor too many new ones ( no history, character). And I don't really like parks that much. When I tell people this, they react as if I had said I like to kick puppies or something; it seems to be a taboo of some sort.
Actually, I have done a bit of reading on urban design, though maybe not unbiased: the book " The Geography of Nowhere" , referring to current suburban construction and other books on "New Modernism" , both of which included some content on architecture and general design of living environments; the city, suburbs. But my knowledge doe not go too far beyond this.

• #4,854
WWGD said:
Actually, I have done a bit of reading on urban design, though maybe not unbiased: the book " The Geography of Nowhere" , referring to current suburban construction and other books on "New Modernism" , both of which included some content on architecture and general design of living environments; the city, suburbs. But my knowledge doe not go too far beyond this.
You 'hit the nail on the head' and other building metaphors. Paraphrasing Wolf's point "We live in buildings, but rarely question architectural designs". (Old Tom wrote about and lived among rich and privileged who regularly hire architects.)

I took urban planning courses to meet breadth requirements at university. We inspected several sites in San Francisco: Golden Gate Bridge, yes, but otherwise simple buildings that emphasized the instructor's syllabus such as a tiny 9th Avenue bakery with black and white tile facade. My conclusion is that urban design rarely appeals to aesthetics but attempts to solve engineering problems.

Likes WWGD
  • #4,855
Klystron said:
You 'hit the nail on the head' and other building metaphors. Paraphrasing Wolf's point "We live in buildings, but rarely question architectural designs". (Old Tom wrote about and lived among rich and privileged who regularly hire architects.)

I took urban planning courses to meet breadth requirements at university. We inspected several sites in San Francisco: Golden Gate Bridge, yes, but otherwise simple buildings that emphasized the instructor's syllabus such as a tiny 9th Avenue bakery with black and white tile facade. My conclusion is that urban design rarely appeals to aesthetics but attempts to solve engineering problems.
Re engineering problems: same goes for road design. Other than cost, the only constraint is that of maximizing the flow rate of cars, never mind aesthetics, let alone pedestrian safety. Notice the smoothness of the curb as you make a turn ( rather than having roads intersect at right angles). It allows cars to turn at high speeds, endangering pedestrians trying to cross the street. If roads met at right angles, cars would be forced to slow down before turning. Cars over people. That's part of why I try to avoid the 'burbs.

• #4,856
Klystron said:
Dude, no. Not taboo, so much as shock; that an otherwise erudite citizen forgoes enjoying what to many is the best feature of the landscape.
Well, I don't fislike nature, I just prefer it blending in with the city, as in ttee-lined streets. I just lived a sedate life for a while and I now prefer human activity over quiet nature. And I respect nature enough to not go in hikes because I am not very knowledgeable on potential problems. Maybe I am being too cautious and I am missing out though.

• #4,857
WWGD said:
I now prefer human activity over quiet nature.
You would like European parks in hot summers. And now that the US army is gone, we even do not have low and slow flying hueys anymore. :wink:

• #4,858
There is this organization whose abbreviation I kept using even before I knew the org existed:

Our Future Our Choice : OFOC

• #4,859
Wow, this woman said she was studying archaeology ; not sure if a class or her degree. What kind of field work do they do, dumpster diving? Most likely I misunderstood, I guess.

• #4,860
OK, 7:30, waiting in line for coffee. Tourist guy from who knows where asking for something. Apparently all he knows to say is " No, other" , like 10 times. Poor Barista does not know how to say anything in Bachi-Bazuk. Then it is hand-signing: what's that? Bunt and steal second? Croissant? No, Pumpkin slice.
8:10, I end up getting my coffee.

• #4,861
Fundamental theorem of engineering: ##\pi = e = 3 = 2 ## roughly.

Likes Bystander
  • #4,862
nuuskur said:
I had a snob Math Stats prof. you said that an engineer is someone who believes infinity starts at n=30 ( Central Limit Theorem, etc.). Bet he never had to take a 17 credit load or do heavy EE or else.

• #4,863
A kind of weird angle. I overheard this exchange:
" You know how old people are".
I replied:
No, how old are they?

Likes nuuskur
  • #4,864
nuuskur said:

Yes, and the popular: 1 + 1 = 3, for large values of 1.

Cheers

Likes gmax137 and nuuskur
  • #4,865
Still trying to control my promiscuous PC mouse that latches/clicks onto everything when someone farts in Western China.
I went over the mouse sensitivity, but no change in sight.