What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #1,296
fresh_42 said:
I've searched for dwarfs where @Sophia lives, but haven't found any. However, their fairy tales are full of diminutives, so there is still a good chance to improve your statistics.

Sure, you and WWGD may come anytime... I'll be more than happy. I live by the river and I bet you would LOVE it here. I can sing nicely and have beautiful long hair... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka

btw we do have dwarfs in our coal mine. They are called Permonici.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,297
Sophia said:
Sure, you and WWGD may come anytime... I'll be more than happy. I live by the river and I bet you would LOVE it here. I can sing nicely and have beautiful long hair... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka

btw we do have dwarfs in our coal mine. They are called Permonici.
I have a record of Rusalka :biggrin:

Likes Sophia
  • #1,298
Anyway, I've learned something again

knife- knives
loaf- loaves

dwarf- dwarves dwarfs

• #1,299
Can the Church-Turing-Deutsch principle be proven to be true or will it encounter the Halting problem?!

Is it decidable at all?

Will physicists fall into despair or just keep on calculating?!

Stay tuned for the next episode!

• #1,300
Sophia said:
Anyway, I've learned something again
You've probably already learned it, but just in case... one more.

calf- calves

Mooooo ...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :blushing:

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
  • #1,301
OCR said:

calf- calves

I can't play the sound :-/

I knew that word, both as a young cow and a part of leg. What was new was that dwarfs don't obey grammar rules. They are magical creatures, rules don't bother them :p

cf08bf48cabdb4302667469f01dec1cc.jpg

OK, this is a gnome, not a dwarf. Whatever :p

Likes OCR
  • #1,302
OCR said:
calf- calves

calve- calving

splash

• #1,303
OCR said:

calf- calves

Gandalf - ?

• #1,305
fresh_42 said:
Alf - ?
Alfreds?

• #1,307
fresh_42 said:
Flintstone?
I think it was originally Flinstein, your paysans.

• #1,308
WWGD said:
I think it was originally Flinstein, your paysans.
This explains a lot ...

Likes WWGD
  • #1,309
WWGD said:
Gandalf - ?
Gandalf - :angel:

• #1,310
Gandolves?

BoB

• #1,311
Internet provider charges $10/month for leasing a modem that depreciates to $0 value after just a few months. Great business -- for them, of course.

• #1,312
Sophia said:
I can't play the sound :-/
Nothing at all with a left click...?

Try clicking with the center mouse button, or, a right click and then a left click in the menu... "Open Link in New Tab".

This is the actual URL...
http://www.orangefreesounds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Cow-moo-sound.mp3?_=1

That work...?

You do use a mouse...?

My wife uses a laptop, and I can barely leave home using it...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :headbang:
I use a desktop, and chase a :mouse: to see where to go, and what to do... and I'm still usually lost.[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]
lmao.gif

Last edited:
  • #1,313
WWGD said:
Internet provider charges $10/month for leasing a modem that depreciates to $0 value after just a few months. Great business -- for them, of course.
How to freak out your neighbors:

Rename your WLAN "FBI Surveillance Van"

• #1,314
OCR said:
Nothing at all with a left click...?

Try clicking with the center mouse button, or, a right click and then a left click in the menu... "Open Link in New Tab".
@Sophia : Alternatively: Open your window! :biggrin:

Likes Sophia and OCR
  • #1,315
fresh_42 said:
@Sophia : Alternatively: Open your window! :biggrin:
Lol, good one!...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :thumbup:[COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR] :ok:

OpenWindow (1).jpg

Last edited:
  • #1,316
OMG, as I only installed the system recently I see I still lack a codec or something for opening mp3 files. Will have to google it.

Anyway, homemade sausages
IMG_20161204_072935.jpg

It's below 0 and snowing, which is best for freezing outside for a few days before they go into freezer. You can never get proper taste from freezer only, they need fresh air.

• #1,317
Again, I can't sing into my gmail from work:oldmad:I receive and enter the verification code but it says "Google couldn't verify it's you, so you can't sign into this account right now." So why do you waste my time by sending a verification code? I want to contact the google team and complain but it just shows me the help center!:headbang::oldgrumpy:

• #1,318
Havant Symphony Orchestra concert yesterday was successfully completed (despite discovering at last moment that half of the adjacent car park was inaccessible due to over-running building works, and having to arrange overflow parking in school next door). So after finishing with orchestra stuff (such as updating concert history records and website) this morning, I thought I ought to catch up on other stuff.

The "in-pile" of magazines (mostly read) and mail (mostly opened and acted on if important, but not filed) on the corner of my table was getting a bit high, so I just sorted and filed it. I thought it must be at least a couple of weeks since I last did that - but it turned out it went back to mid-August! The pile included occasional unopened mail (which family members had helpfully added to the pile but something else had been put on top of them before I'd opened it), but fortunately nothing important.

So time seems to be whizzing by - except when I'm trying to do my work hours but I'm stuck waiting for people to get back to me, when it goes at the pace of a geriatric snail.

• #1,319
Lisa! said:
Again, I can't sing into my gmail from work:oldmad:I receive and enter the verification code but it says "Google couldn't verify it's you, so you can't sign into this account right now." So why do you waste my time by sending a verification code? I want to contact the google team and complain but it just shows me the help center!:headbang::oldgrumpy:

I recently somehow lost a file in Google drive. No one believes me, they say I did not actually do the work, because they believe Google is infallible.

Likes Lisa!
  • #1,320
Lisa! said:
Again, I can't sing into my gmail from work:oldmad:
Lol... maybe you need some backup, it always worked for Johnny... try it again with this.

Likes WWGD
  • #1,321
I ran into a phrase that is both written exactly the same in Spanish as in English, and has the exact same meaning: " Use me", written on a trash can. I wonder if it is the only one , either for English-Spanish, or for the general pairs of languages.

• #1,322
Holy crap. I think I forgot about physicsforums!

I have totally legitimate excuses though.

Short version: Miscarriage #1 -> Miscarriage #1 -> Wife pregnancy 3 last September -> Wife on home bed rest 5 weeks -> wife on hospital bed rest 5 weeks (this is during grad school mind you --> Baby born 3 months early like this:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/alw9U22ECD_WKN6tpkjuhvbE_1_Rl7vjMnxeYC9foDoZ7Sp2apiW8huy_oxoW-88duePqb2jms7fB2b9nOvGGAM_L9hyrGmYskuatrKnewxYpO-RexkAE0xTtxv9XQNqOJxFDwN1eiXxotKK9y1wXVFpz5pKmx9SwM-rMCYbD2lWB31Gxs-84qNKkCzU5eEqdhKlVfR8KNgB4QwlVaMPJvEY_z4OwOplr6GIzK0-l1QVcn1M8l0pVpHsRYdUhqxVnIOjX0SwjZ2LalAH3D2Uot8OZo0SCrlP0TvWnnpMZhdIJDZK-Si64jnDPagKyDyD2DTOi8_U0wnFq5irr4RP5yArYLPvtE8uAUNjavtQDHnffB_0i6QrEmv51KjrOq1JpuOK3XtaSK1VniYB1cEfnt7LkUWl-RzBumaJ1thdnloRv999i3_AH7wLk02hF1r1_ftcokdDNF8Z7LAxXFUefqyNOjM17UEoVychIqv8Zf7Nh6voNc2xnaf16xK5-_CrlfYkN-dxdnT17Swf4yizqfWMEE0TZLyoEiofz8ny-B3N3FY-Um98mmIZljdLeVNsCP2Y-Ffd70sgjkQPtPIbUsj__TNvpvxqFJnAMZUSYH_oyy4Ua_0z-w=w937-h638-no

But now look like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1cmdDoUJbpXe7S6sWWoo2okEt1qKpxtlCZVKoAsYvXfEKx_rM3xJngqCxiguQHSLEQEAjVvksoSEhasO8UQNvVGvbBx3XO2oTYp-u9iwA_j7MybK1Hmv-EkmLHyjWyCk1cZ4CiB9LIfViHEyMdb25IxYk9uypm6qF-80Vj84gyLtUmfXtQVEGhv5K-bLRF9nUJGSpfWajt7y3xJsDxS5GD-IPaxKjx83ZhF4pFOILegvNIin2CjRlIIYEZa7a6AuQbQyyX8jzFWYDZJnTpcQYK_noG94r6NI4ft4eUp2uhijRyKWuVX--9upNsC-Q7TsVaPlEaKx6IJuC-NXH-NOrab9-ZCH6_pTa-DsB1w1z5jpCrh9V_Zr29yxqeVoG3H_JzhEWiEtk_VT1yB__DaH8hPtUo3FyU4Z24aprBPkJaHyvkHLthbDdJFuj6uajM2ck06Fta_ABYi86EV-9W6PRn4DLCk_jNsu6ajRlVS0j2C-05zI0EaOaliHWryDytnE8tMvmOvFpJ6nwAIOpJKyjpzRWiSC316CwIc_PE4Km1pP9J9bZrh_bRt-MxPrfBzpWOfgPzdrH2P8GvGgkwwy3TzEEBSDZW5H9eDccKCOxCLMJwIzqMb30g=w359-h638-no

And I got a job so I could study for my qualifier rather than try to do grad school + TA + baby + qualifier, but of course the little guy doesn't let us sleep much. So life is hard, life is beautiful, and missed you all.

-Dave K

whoo

Likes Enigman, OCR, collinsmark and 2 others
  • #1,323
Dave! Good to see you again.

Congratulations. Looks like he had a rough start, but he looks great in the second one - very cute. Don't worry about the lack of sleep - my sources tell me you can get your revenge during the teenage years...

Likes WWGD and dkotschessaa
  • #1,324
dkotschessaa said:
Holy crap. I think I forgot about physicsforums!

I have totally legitimate excuses though.

Short version: Miscarriage #1 -> Miscarriage #1 -> Wife pregnancy 3 last September -> Wife on home bed rest 5 weeks -> wife on hospital bed rest 5 weeks (this is during grad school mind you --> Baby born 3 months early like this:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/alw9U22ECD_WKN6tpkjuhvbE_1_Rl7vjMnxeYC9foDoZ7Sp2apiW8huy_oxoW-88duePqb2jms7fB2b9nOvGGAM_L9hyrGmYskuatrKnewxYpO-RexkAE0xTtxv9XQNqOJxFDwN1eiXxotKK9y1wXVFpz5pKmx9SwM-rMCYbD2lWB31Gxs-84qNKkCzU5eEqdhKlVfR8KNgB4QwlVaMPJvEY_z4OwOplr6GIzK0-l1QVcn1M8l0pVpHsRYdUhqxVnIOjX0SwjZ2LalAH3D2Uot8OZo0SCrlP0TvWnnpMZhdIJDZK-Si64jnDPagKyDyD2DTOi8_U0wnFq5irr4RP5yArYLPvtE8uAUNjavtQDHnffB_0i6QrEmv51KjrOq1JpuOK3XtaSK1VniYB1cEfnt7LkUWl-RzBumaJ1thdnloRv999i3_AH7wLk02hF1r1_ftcokdDNF8Z7LAxXFUefqyNOjM17UEoVychIqv8Zf7Nh6voNc2xnaf16xK5-_CrlfYkN-dxdnT17Swf4yizqfWMEE0TZLyoEiofz8ny-B3N3FY-Um98mmIZljdLeVNsCP2Y-Ffd70sgjkQPtPIbUsj__TNvpvxqFJnAMZUSYH_oyy4Ua_0z-w=w937-h638-no

But now look like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1cmdDoUJbpXe7S6sWWoo2okEt1qKpxtlCZVKoAsYvXfEKx_rM3xJngqCxiguQHSLEQEAjVvksoSEhasO8UQNvVGvbBx3XO2oTYp-u9iwA_j7MybK1Hmv-EkmLHyjWyCk1cZ4CiB9LIfViHEyMdb25IxYk9uypm6qF-80Vj84gyLtUmfXtQVEGhv5K-bLRF9nUJGSpfWajt7y3xJsDxS5GD-IPaxKjx83ZhF4pFOILegvNIin2CjRlIIYEZa7a6AuQbQyyX8jzFWYDZJnTpcQYK_noG94r6NI4ft4eUp2uhijRyKWuVX--9upNsC-Q7TsVaPlEaKx6IJuC-NXH-NOrab9-ZCH6_pTa-DsB1w1z5jpCrh9V_Zr29yxqeVoG3H_JzhEWiEtk_VT1yB__DaH8hPtUo3FyU4Z24aprBPkJaHyvkHLthbDdJFuj6uajM2ck06Fta_ABYi86EV-9W6PRn4DLCk_jNsu6ajRlVS0j2C-05zI0EaOaliHWryDytnE8tMvmOvFpJ6nwAIOpJKyjpzRWiSC316CwIc_PE4Km1pP9J9bZrh_bRt-MxPrfBzpWOfgPzdrH2P8GvGgkwwy3TzEEBSDZW5H9eDccKCOxCLMJwIzqMb30g=w359-h638-no

And I got a job so I could study for my qualifier rather than try to do grad school + TA + baby + qualifier, but of course the little guy doesn't let us sleep much. So life is hard, life is beautiful, and missed you all.

-Dave K

whoo
Congratulations! He's adorable! A lot of hard times for you and your wife but look at what you have to make it all worthwhile! :smile: What's his name? How old is he?

• #1,325
Entry was a bit wobbly but it looks like he hit the landing with flying colors.

Grats on the successful mission.

BoB

• #1,326
Evo said:
Congratulations! He's adorable! A lot of hard times for you and your wife but look at what you have to make it all worthwhile! :smile: What's his name? How old is he?

RIGHT! That's Dylan. Dylan Sebastian Kotschessa. Born Feb 9th so about 10 months, but adjusted age of around 7. He's catching up to his chronological age pretty quickly in my completely biased but not totally unjustified opinion.

He's cute as **** and I know all dads think that but JUST LOOK AT HIM.

-Dave K

Likes Borg
  • #1,327
Second cutest baby I've seen. :wink:

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #1,328
Saw an extremely interesting thing on TV last night about a British photographer who bought 100 acres of rainforest in Peru for $10,000. That's $100 per acre!

He basically just wanted to buy it so no one else could own it who might cut it down. However, he found out after the purchase that some local 'pharmaceutical enterprises' were illegally using his land to grow coca plants, and another guy was hauling poached trees from a nearby state park across his land to the river. He started to realize that he would need to move there and hire a crew to patrol and protect his acreage.

Regardless, it seemed to me that, if most of the South American rainforest is really that cheap, the Green people ought to change their whole strategy and just start buying it all up to prevent it being cut down for pasturage.

• #1,329
I'm afraid this would not really work. Brazil has large parts of its rain forest under federal protection and patrols in place. And despite of that there is still illegal search for gold and illegal deforestation.

• #1,330
I always thought it'd be cool to be an "undeveloper." I would buy land in cities or suburban areas, and just knock everything down and put it back the way it was.