What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #1,331
fresh_42 said:
I'm afraid this would not really work. Brazil has large parts of its rain forest under federal protection and patrols in place. And despite of that there is still illegal search for gold and illegal deforestation.
Haven't you ever seen that show where green people hunt down whaling ships and harass them? I think they'd be even worse foes if you were on their rightfully owned land.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,332
I also watched about 3 episodes of Moonshiners in a row the other night. This is an interesting show in that it is a detailed chronicle of people doing something sneaky and illegal. So why don't they get arrested?

I did a little googling and the claim is that they would have to be caught red handed, in the act, in order to be arrested. Despite the fact the TV show broadcasts their names and faces all over, it does not, apparently, constitute proper evidence, or something. On the other hand, I saw a documentary about urban gunrunners a couple months ago where everyone wore masks and had their voices altered. Go figure.

• #1,333
Some random joker on FaceBook talking about "the right to bare arms," made me want to riff on the injustice of not having "the right to bare bottoms."

Then I was thinking that "the right to bear arms," could lead to ruminations on the injustice of not having "the right to kangaroo arms," or "the right to T-Rex arms."

Likes Tsu
  • #1,334
I have just seen a man wearing a perfectly normal grey business suit and a turquoise fedora. I just thought I'd share the oddity of the moment.

Likes Tsu and fresh_42
  • #1,335
I'm randomly thinking, if this was my photo it would be a natural for Zappers photo contest "magnet"
plasma-physics.jpg

• #1,336

• #1,337
dkotschessaa said:

Oh, my bad. Thought this was the random number thread.

Likes Ibix
  • #1,338
I though you were just hungry!

HINT: google that number and look at the pictures that come up.

BoB

• #1,339
rbelli1 said:
I though you were just hungry!

HINT: google that number and look at the pictures that come up.

BoB

hah! I used a random number generator. But boy, could i go for some millet now.

• #1,340
Scroll down. You get all the shellfish you can eat!

BoB

• #1,341
rbelli1 said:
Scroll down. You get all the shellfish you can eat!

BoB

Yes, but that would be... you know.

• #1,342
dkotschessaa said:
Yes, but that would be... you know.
A couple of years ago a girl I know on FaceBook posted an enthusiastic comment about brussel sprouts. A full day went by before it occurred to me she might not be talking about brussel sprouts.

• #1,343
zoobyshoe said:
A couple of years ago a girl I know on FaceBook posted an enthusiastic comment about brussel sprouts. A full day went by before it occurred to me she might not be talking about brussel sprouts.

You lost me.

Although I do know of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprouts_(game)#Brussels

• #1,344
  • #1,345
zoobyshoe said:
To be sure, I checked the urban dictionary. Several then entries indicated it is sometimes used to refer to parts of the male anatomy.

When in doubt I should always suppose that if I don't understand a reference, that this is what it means...

• #1,346
dkotschessaa said:
When in doubt I should always suppose that if I don't understand a reference, that this is what it means...
But now I'm confused about what you meant in referring to shellfish.

• #1,347
zoobyshoe said:
But now I'm confused about what you meant in referring to shellfish.

Standard shellfish pun.

• #1,348
dkotschessaa said:
Standard shellfish pun.
Well don't keep it to yourself...

• #1,349
Ibix said:
Well don't keep it to yourself...

That's the one.

Likes Ibix
  • #1,350
I'm not superstitious, but I just hit my 666th post.

That's better.

edit: oh no, this post doesn't count.

Likes Ibix
  • #1,351
Given the slightly diabolical aspect of my avatar, I screen-shotted my 666 post. :wink:

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #1,352
So that number counts my supposedly useful contributions in the math/science forums, but not my incessant blathering on this thread and such. Fair enough.

• #1,353
True story...

Today I had lunch at a nearby cafe (as I often do). When I'd finished, the waitress (a respectable, slightly naive young lady) asked me whether "my hole had been adequately filled". :DD

Likes beamie564, WWGD, ProfuselyQuarky and 2 others
  • #1,354
Me upon entering undergrad: I can't wait to be a math major and really learn some math!
Me during undergrad: I can't wait to be done with this and go to grad school and learn some REAL math.
Me during grad school: I can't wait to be done with this crap so I can REALLY do some math.

• #1,355
strangerep said:
True story...

Today I had lunch at a nearby cafe (as I often do). When I'd finished, the waitress (a respectable, slightly naive young lady) asked me whether "my hole had been adequately filled". :DD
I was once asked by the waitress, when eating at a deli, "if I was the one with the hard salami". https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hard+salami+sandwich&atb=v35-2a_&ia=recipes

Likes strangerep
  • #1,356
WWGD said:
I was once asked by the waitress, when eating at a deli, "if I was the one with the hard salami".

I first read this as "if I was at one with the hard salami."

Zen Deli?

• #1,357
I guess I overused my cheesy joke. Many credit cards now have chips on them So, when paying, you can either swipe your card or insert the chip into the machine. I often try to swipe incorrectly, so the clerk will ask me to use the chip. I then pretend to pick up an imaginary chip from my shoulders and ask: "you mean this one"?

We could have had a trio with Donna Summers, Jerry Springer and Jonathan Winters. But no one I know with a "Falls" last name.

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #1,358
dkotschessaa said:
I first read this as "if I was at one with the hard salami."

Zen Deli?
No, not that one, I am quite at peace with the Salami within.

• #1,359
WWGD said:
I guess I overused my cheesy joke. Many credit cards now have chips on them So, when paying, you can either swipe your card or insert the chip into the machine. I often try to swipe incorrectly, so the clerk will ask me to use the chip. I then pretend to pick up an imaginary chip from my shoulders and ask: "you mean this one"?

We could have had a trio with Donna Summers, Jerry Springer and Jonathan Winters. But no one I know with a "Falls" last name.

My overused joke used to be when ordering chicken fingers at a restaurant. When they arrived I would remark "My GOD that chicken must have been HUGE."

I think it was really for my own amusement.

• #1,360
dkotschessaa said:
My overused joke used to be when ordering chicken fingers at a restaurant. When they arrived I would remark "My GOD that chicken must have been HUGE."

I think it was really for my own amusement.
Ah, you do that too? Maybe that is why they all try to avoid us when they see us coming in.

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #1,361
Interesting, someone told me some times in Germany, at a bar, when there are not enough chairs/tables to sit in, some people will approach a table with patrons in it , with some empty tables and ask if the chairs are available. If the answer is yes, they will just sit on those chairs, together with the other patrons, instead of moving the chairs and sitting somewhere else. But maybe I misunderstood the account?

• #1,362
WWGD said:
I was once asked by the waitress, when eating at a deli, "if I was the one with the hard salami"
She should have known that you normally catch those long passes and end it with a TD! Or has it been your first time there?
WWGD said:
In the meantime, how about her?

• #1,363
WWGD said:
Interesting, someone told me some times in Germany, at a bar, when there are not enough chairs/tables to sit in, some people will approach a table with patrons in it , with some empty tables and ask if the chairs are available. If the answer is yes, they will just sit on those chairs, together with the other patrons, instead of moving the chairs and sitting somewhere else. But maybe I misunderstood the account?

My image of Germany, (which I have never been to) is that it is far friendlier than the United States.

• #1,364
fresh_42 said:
She should have known that you normally catch those long passes and end it with a TD! Or has it been your first time there?

In the meantime, how about her?
You put me in a tough spot. The group is going by last name. Can we get a group of people to ask her to change her name to Wendl Autumn?