1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of leakage from box

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cubic container with sidelength l has a small hole with cross sectional area a (a<<l). The gas has density ρ and pressure P. Find the initial rate of gas leakage given that the outside pressure is 0.

2. Relevant equations

The question mentions the formula p=ρc2/3 so I know I have to use this.

3. The attempt at a solution

Assume that 1/3 of the particles are moving in a direction towards the hole. Any molecule in a cylinder of base a and length c will leave the hole in one second so is the leakage rate av/3, and then I can substitute out c with the formula? Is this the correct answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not bad - but your result does not appear to take the pressure difference into account.

I'd have wanted to see that explicit - can you explain what your equations mean and how you are using them.
    I suspect you have it right, but cannot tell exactly from what you've written down so far.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook