RC Circuit capacitors Question

In summary: R2)*(C1+C2)*(1-e^{\frac{-t_1}{\tau}})?There is no specific time constant for the discharge through R2, since it depends on how much current is passing through it. tau could be (R2)*(C1+C2)*(1-e^{\frac{-t_1}{\tau}}), or it could be something completely different depending on how much current is flowing through R2.

Homework Statement

All capacitors of the open circuit shown below are discharged when, at time t=0, the switch S1 is closed. At some point later, at time t = t1, the switch S2 is also closed. What is the charge Q2(t2) on the capacitor C2 at time t = t2 > t1?

[PLAIN]http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3282/trashp.png

Homework Equations

Charging cap: [tex]q = C\epsilon(1 - e^{\frac{-t}{RC}})[/tex]
Discharging cap: [tex]q = {Q_0}e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that when switch S_1 was closed at t=0, the charge on C_2 was zero and that the time constant, RC, was (R_1+R_2)*((1/C_1 + 1/C_2)^-1), abbreviated [itex]\tau[/itex]. Thus, the charge on C_2 the instant before t_1 would be [tex]q = C_2\epsilon(1 - e^{\frac{-t_1}{\tau}})[/tex].

Once S_2 is closed, I said the time constant was given by (C_1+C_2)*(R_2), since it was my understanding that these capacitors would discharge through R2. Given [tex]q = Q_0 = C_2\epsilon(1 - e^{\frac{-t_1}{\tau}})[/tex] (from the previous paragraph), and the fact that [tex]q = {Q_0}e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex] for a discharging capacitor, I obtained [tex]q_2 = {C_2}\epsilon(1 - e^{\frac{-t_1}{\tau}})e^{\frac{-t_2}{(C_2*R_2)}}[/tex].

I know it's not right, but I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the capacitors are initially charging, it's the equivalent capacitance [itex] C_{eq} = C1 C2/(C1 + C2) [/itex] that "sees" the full voltage ε as its charging "target". Only a fraction of ε can ever appear across C2 (or C1 for that matter). Your equation for the charge on C2 appears to be assuming that ε is the 'target' voltage for charging C2. This is not the case.

You could use the capacitive voltage divider rule to find out what to use in place of ε, or you could use the fact that C1 and C2 will both always have the same charge as Ceq.

Allowed enough time to fully charge Ceq, it would store [itex] Q_{max} = ε C_{eq} = ε C1 C2/(C1 + C2)[/itex]. C2 would end up with the same charge.

You should be able to use this 'target' charge, Qmax, as the 'magnitude' parameter for your exponential function of time for the charge on C2.

gneill said:
When the capacitors are initially charging, it's the equivalent capacitance [itex] C_{eq} = C1 C2/(C1 + C2) [/itex] that "sees" the full voltage ε as its charging "target". Only a fraction of ε can ever appear across C2 (or C1 for that matter). Your equation for the charge on C2 appears to be assuming that ε is the 'target' voltage for charging C2. This is not the case.

You could use the capacitive voltage divider rule to find out what to use in place of ε, or you could use the fact that C1 and C2 will both always have the same charge as Ceq.

Allowed enough time to fully charge Ceq, it would store [itex] Q_{max} = ε C_{eq} = ε C1 C2/(C1 + C2)[/itex]. C2 would end up with the same charge.

You should be able to use this 'target' charge, Qmax, as the 'magnitude' parameter for your exponential function of time for the charge on C2.

OK, that makes sense. Since C1 = C2 = Ceq, the equation during time t1 when S1 is closed and S2 is open is now [tex]{\frac{{(C1*C2)}/{(C1 + C2)}}\epsilon(1 - e^{\frac{-t_1}{\tau}})[/tex].

Have I made the connection properly? Or am I still missing it?

If I'm reading the LaTex properly, that looks okay. BTW, it's not that C1 = C2 = Ceq, its that they all must have the same charge at all times (because they are in series, they share the same current at all times).

gneill said:
If I'm reading the LaTex properly, that looks okay. BTW, it's not that C1 = C2 = Ceq, its that they all must have the same charge at all times (because they are in series, they share the same current at all times).

Oops, guess I messed it up in the edit. So during time t1, [tex]q = {C_e}\epsilon(1 - e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}})[/tex].

Is my understanding of how the capacitors discharge through R2 correct? Or have I got to change the value for my time constant for the second part of the function? Many thanks.

At t=0 S1 closes and the capacitors are charging. This goes on until time t1. During the period 0 < t < t1, the charging follows the equation you've given. At time t1 S2 is also closed, and the capacitors begin discharging through R2 alone, so the discharge will have a different time constant.

gneill said:
At t=0 S1 closes and the capacitors are charging. This goes on until time t1. During the period 0 < t < t1, the charging follows the equation you've given. At time t1 S2 is also closed, and the capacitors begin discharging through R2 alone, so the discharge will have a different time constant.

So tau = (R2)*(C1+C2), correct?

C1 and C2 are still in series. Use the equivalent capacitance that you've already calculated.

gneill said:
C1 and C2 are still in series. Use the equivalent capacitance that you've already calculated.

Argh, crap. Thank you very much!

1. What is an RC circuit capacitor?

An RC circuit capacitor is an electronic component that stores and releases electrical energy in a circuit. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, also known as a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work in an RC circuit?

In an RC circuit, the capacitor charges and discharges as the circuit is switched on and off. When the circuit is closed, the capacitor charges up to the same voltage as the power source. When the circuit is opened, the capacitor releases its stored energy, creating a temporary current in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The purpose of a capacitor in an RC circuit is to store and release energy, which can be used to smooth out voltage fluctuations or to create a time delay in the circuit.

4. How do you calculate the time constant of an RC circuit with a capacitor?

The time constant of an RC circuit with a capacitor is calculated by multiplying the resistance value (in ohms) by the capacitance value (in farads). This value represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to about 63% of its maximum voltage.

5. What happens when a capacitor in an RC circuit is fully charged?

When a capacitor in an RC circuit is fully charged, it acts as an open circuit and no current flows through it. This means that the capacitor has reached its maximum voltage and cannot store any more energy. It will remain charged until the circuit is opened or the capacitor is discharged.