RC Circuit find capacitor charge

In summary, the capacitor in an RC circuit with R = 130 Ω and C = 40 uF, initially uncharged, is connected to a 9.0 V battery. Using the equation Q = qo[1-e^(-t/(RC))], qo can be found by substituting t = RC and solving for Q. The current in the circuit can also be found using the equation I = dQ/dt = (qo/RC)[e^(-t/(RC))].
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

The capacitor in an RC circuit (R = 130 \Omega, C = 40uF) is initially uncharged.
1) Find the charge on the capacitor in the circuit one time constant (tau = RC) after the circuit is connected to a 9.0- V battery.
2) Find the current in the circuit one time constant (\tau = RC) after the circuit is connected to a 9.0-V battery.

Homework Equations

R = V/I
Q = qo[1-e^-t(RC)] ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Im actually not sure I even have the correct equations and I'm not sure what to use for qo

Physics news on Phys.org
matt72lsu said:

Homework Statement

The capacitor in an RC circuit (R = 130 \Omega, C = 40uF) is initially uncharged.

Homework Equations

R = V/I
Q = qo[1-e^-t(RC)] ? not correct

The Attempt at a Solution

Im actually not sure I even have the correct equations and I'm not sure what to use for qo

Q=qo[1-e^(-t/(RC))]

ehild

matt72lsu said:
R = V/I
Q = qo[1-e^-t(RC)] ?

Qo=C*V

I'm so confused

In the problem C and V is given. When the capacity is fully charged, the maximum charge Qo = C*V. Find this one.
In the relevant equation, put t = RC and find Q.

i got the first part but i got the second part wrong. i did V/R = 6.9e-2. then i multiplied that by 1-e^-1 and got 4.4e-2 then multiplied that by 1000 to go from A to mA and got 44. where did i go wrong?

There is a similar formula to the Q=qo[1-e^(-t/(RC))] for I(ntensity). It is a must have.

yeah I used that and substituted qo for V/R and worked it out the same way i did the first one

The current I = dQ/dt = (qo/RC)[1-e^(-t/(RC))]
Now find the current.

i can't wrap my mind around this !

matt72lsu said:
i can't wrap my mind around this !
The current I = dQ/dt = (qo/RC)[e^(-t/(RC))]
Now find the current.

1. How do I calculate the charge on a capacitor in an RC circuit?

In an RC circuit, the charge on a capacitor can be calculated using the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts.

2. What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads, giving a unit of seconds (s).

3. How does the value of the resistor affect the charge on the capacitor?

The value of the resistor in an RC circuit affects the rate at which the capacitor charges. A higher resistance will result in a longer time constant and therefore a slower charging rate, while a lower resistance will result in a shorter time constant and a faster charging rate.

4. Can I use an RC circuit to store charge for a long period of time?

No, an RC circuit is not suitable for long-term charge storage. The capacitor will eventually discharge due to leakage currents and other factors. It is designed for short-term charge storage and quick discharge.

5. How can I increase the charge on a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The charge on a capacitor in an RC circuit can be increased by either increasing the capacitance or increasing the voltage across the capacitor. This can be achieved by using a larger capacitor or a higher voltage source, respectively.