Understanding Charge Flow in RC Circuits: A Scientist's Perspective

In summary: But i want to know how much amount of charge will flow in the circuit as i have described in the problem?Do you have details of the setup that you can share, along with what you have worked out so far?
sumit_1
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests; Thread moved to Introductory Physics Homework from Advanced Physics Homework.
I have a RC circuit which also includes a battery, the capacitor has some charge initially before we put all the components in the circuit. Now as I connect all of them then charge will start to flow, but wheather this charge will be the sum of initial charge on the capacitor and the new charge produced by the battery or it will be just the new charge produced by the battery?

According to me the charge flowing in the circuit should be the sum of the initial charge of the capacitor and the charge produced by the battery.
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at how much charge (and polarity) will be on the capacitor after a long time. How does this compare with the charge and polarity before they're connected?

scottdave said:
Look at how much charge (and polarity) will be on the capacitor after a long time. How does this compare with the charge and polarity before they're connected?
I connected the positive side of capacitor to the positive terminal of the battery.

So can you calculate how much charge will be on the cap after a long time (if the cap was initially "empty")?

This ending number will be the same for a cap with some initial charge. But the amount supplied by the battery will be different.

Do you know how much initial charge is on the capacitor?

scottdave said:
Do you know how much initial charge is on the capacitor?
I know the initial charge on the capacitor.

Maybe think of it as adding money to your bank account. If you started with $10 and end with $50, how much money was added?

scottdave said:
Maybe think of it as adding money to your bank account. If you started with $10 and end with $50, how much money was added?
$40 is added. But i want to know how much amount of charge will flow in the circuit as i have described in the problem?

Do you have details of the setup that you can share, along with what you have worked out so far?

What is a RC circuit?

A RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). The resistor and capacitor are connected in series or in parallel and are used to control the flow of charge through the circuit.

How does charge flow in a RC circuit?

In a RC circuit, charge flows from the positive terminal of the battery through the resistor and capacitor, and back to the negative terminal of the battery. As the capacitor charges, it stores electrical energy. When the capacitor discharges, it releases this stored energy, causing charge to flow in the opposite direction. This cycle continues as long as the battery remains connected to the circuit.

What is the role of the resistor in a RC circuit?

The resistor in a RC circuit limits the flow of current, which in turn controls the rate at which the capacitor charges and discharges. The resistor also helps to stabilize the circuit and prevent damage by limiting the flow of excessive current.

How does the capacitance affect charge flow in a RC circuit?

The capacitance, represented by the letter C, is a measure of the capacitor's ability to store electrical charge. The higher the capacitance, the more charge the capacitor can store. In a RC circuit, a higher capacitance will result in a slower charging and discharging process, while a lower capacitance will result in a faster process.

What factors can affect the charge flow in a RC circuit?

The charge flow in a RC circuit can be affected by factors such as the resistance and capacitance values, the voltage of the battery, and the type of materials used to make the resistor and capacitor. Temperature and external interference can also impact the charge flow in a RC circuit.