RC circuit time constants and coefficients

In summary, the student is trying to find coefficients for a whole network and is having difficulties figuring out how to factor the denominator of the general transfer function. The student finds that if there is a buffer amplifier between the blocks, the overall transfer function is what would be expected if each block was isolated.
evol_w10lv

Homework Statement

I have got this circuit:
dh05vz73lkwnpryuc8.png

I have to find coefficients k1 and k2, and time constants T1 and T2. Actually, we can see that T1 =R1*C1 and T2=R2*C2, but is it possible in this circuit or it's just theoretically time constants? I'm not sure, but as there is no amplifier in that circuit, capacitors interacts between each other, that's why solution of time constants not so "clear" as we would like to have. Or is it absolutely wrong?

Bode plot, using transfer function H(s), which I calculated before:
http://www.bildites.lv/images/c54l1249hb71uqesw4mj.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I found transfer function:
cbt0z6vzk9mdv183h7bh.png

But I guess, circuit suggests, there are series of two ''inertial differential sections''. Then theoretically:
ochz4sb7b6alcpzbr9km.png

When I compare these transfer functions:
72j1yad83y3kaf6d2t3z.png

I'm quite sure, that my first transfer function H(s) should be correct. Maybe second one is more theoretical? Where am I wrong with my solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you cascade blocks, no longer does each 'see' itself driven by an ideal voltage source, nor does each block 'see' a high resistance at its output imposing negligible loading---the blocks will now interact to some extent.

You can multiply the individual transfer functions to obtain the overall transfer function ONLY where each block is isolated from its two adjacent blocks by buffer amplifiers. If there are no buffer amplifiers, then you have to determine anew the transfer function of the network as a whole.

Yes, just as I thought about amplifier..
This is transfer function for whole network:
cbt0z6vzk9mdv183h7bh.png

From Bode plot I can see, that there are two corner frequencies, so it means that there are two time constants.
Time constants are roots from denominator? And then coefficient k is numerator? But can I determine them in this case, when I haven't got buffer amplifiers in my circuit?

See whether you can factorize the denominator of your general transfer function. Yes, the roots of the denominator, providing they are real.

(s + a)(s+b) will give you the two poles/time constants as algebraic expressions

Notice that C2 is 1000 times smaller than C1. This means that the R2 C2 section doesn't load the R1 C1 section very much. The overall transfer function is almost what you would get if there were a buffer amplifier between the sections.

Is it possible that the problem wants you to recognize this, and get approximate results using the fact that C1>>C2?

If there were a buffer, the (R1 C2 s) term in the denominator vanishes, and it becomes trivial to factor the denominator.

Otherwise, since the denominator is a quadratic, the factorization with the (R1 C2 s) term present using the quadratic formula is fairly easy.

I have to determine k, T1 and T2 for a whole network.
So I did some calculations:
c4xsnsbb3ghwq4gz3e1.png

Is it correct?

And what about the numerator C1C2R1R2 (red color) Is this coefficient k?
f5escnh2yoh269f9pc44.png

That is the coefficient K.

Note that since k = k1*k2, you can factor k in more than one way.

For example, you could let k1 and k2 both be √(C1 C2 R1 R2).

I would let k1 = R1 C1, and k2 = R2 C2. This also gives you correct units, and it is the same k1 and k2 you would have gotten if there were a buffer between the sections.

A useful check is to compare the two corner frequencies with what you'd find for each stage if it were independent. You'd expect these should not be too dissimilar.

Thanks for your help. Task is completed. :)

What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of electric current.

What are the time constants of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values.

How does the time constant affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor?

The time constant determines the rate at which the capacitor charges or discharges. A larger time constant means a slower charging or discharging rate, while a smaller time constant results in a faster rate.

What is the significance of the coefficient of the time constant in an RC circuit?

The coefficient of the time constant is used to determine the time it takes for a capacitor to charge or discharge to a certain percentage of its maximum voltage. It is also used in calculating the total energy stored in the capacitor.

How can the time constant and coefficient be manipulated in an RC circuit?

The time constant and coefficient can be manipulated by changing the values of the resistor and capacitor in the circuit. A larger resistor or capacitor will result in a larger time constant and coefficient, while a smaller resistor or capacitor will decrease them.