Calculating \Delta_H for a Reaction: A Simple Guide

In summary, the conversation is about finding the reaction enthalpy for a given chemical equation. The suggested method is to use the formula: the sum of the enthalpies of the products minus the sum of the enthalpies of the reactants. It is important to pay attention to the signs of the enthalpies.
courtrigrad
Hello all

Let's say we are given:

[tex]CH_4 + 2O_2 \rightarrow CO_2 + 2H_2O[/tex]

We want to find [tex] \Delta_H [/tex] for the entire reaction.

Would I just use the formula:

[tex] \sum _i \Delta_H_i - \sum _j \Delta_H_j [/tex]? In other words just look up enthalpies in book and subtract enthalpy of reactants from enthalpy of products?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
courtrigrad said:
Hello all

Let's say we are given:

[tex]CH_4 + 2O_2 \rightarrow CO_2 + 2H_2O[/tex]

We want to find [tex] \Delta_H [/tex] for the entire reaction.

Would I just use the formula:

[tex] \sum _i \Delta_H_i - \sum _j \Delta_H_j [/tex]? In other words just look up enthalpies in book and subtract enthalpy of reactants from enthalpy of products?

Thanks

IIRC,that's how it goes.To find the reaction enthalpy,u need to know the creation enthalpies for each of the components from the reaction.Pay attention with the signs.

Daniel.

for creating this guide, it's very helpful!

Hello! Yes, you are correct in using the formula \sum _i \Delta_H_i - \sum _j \Delta_H_j to calculate \Delta_H for this reaction. The \Delta_H values for each species can be found in a reference book or online database. Just make sure to use the correct units and to account for the coefficients in the balanced chemical equation. I'm glad the guide was helpful for you!

1. What is \Delta_H for a reaction?

\Delta_H, also known as the enthalpy change, is the measure of energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. It is represented by the symbol \Delta_H and is usually measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

2. Why is it important to calculate \Delta_H for a reaction?

Calculating \Delta_H for a reaction allows us to understand the amount of energy involved in a chemical reaction. This is important for determining the feasibility of a reaction, predicting the direction of a reaction, and designing more efficient chemical processes.

3. How is \Delta_H calculated?

\Delta_H is calculated by taking the difference between the enthalpies of the products and reactants. This can be done experimentally by measuring the heat released or absorbed during the reaction, or by using thermodynamic data and Hess's Law to calculate the change in enthalpy.

4. What factors can affect the value of \Delta_H for a reaction?

The value of \Delta_H for a reaction can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of reactants and products. It can also be influenced by the physical state of the substances involved, such as whether they are in solid, liquid, or gas form.

5. How does \Delta_H relate to the direction of a reaction?

The sign of \Delta_H can indicate the direction of a reaction. A negative \Delta_H value indicates that the reaction is exothermic, meaning it releases heat and is likely to proceed in the forward direction. On the other hand, a positive \Delta_H value indicates an endothermic reaction, which requires energy input and is more likely to proceed in the reverse direction.