1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis - More limsups

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that limsup(s_n + t_n) <= limsup(s_n) + limsup(t_n) for bounded sequences (s_n) and (t_n).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My book gives a hint that says to first show that sup{s_n + t_n : n > N} <= sup{s_n : n > N} + sup{t_n : n > N}. I'm not really even sure how to do that. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi steelphantom! :smile:

sup{} can really only apply to a finite set, so I think the book must mean show that sup{s_n + t_n : n < N} ≤ sup{s_n : n < N} + sup{t_n : n < N}.

Can you do that? :smile:

4. Apr 22, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? What makes you say the "sup" only applies to a finite set? If, for example, sn= 1/n, Then sup{sn: n> N} is 1/N.

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

tiny-tim, what do you mean by "sup{} can really only apply to a finite set"? For instance, sup{[0,1]}=1, yet [0,1] is an infinite set.

steelphantom, ok, so clearly the book wants you to use the characterizations of limsup

[tex]\limsup_{n\rightarrow +\infty}x_n=\lim_{N\rightarrow+\infty}\left(\sup_{n> N}x_n\right)[/tex]

Following the hint of the book, try to show that more generally, for A, B two sets of real numbers,

[tex]\sup(A+B)\leq \sup(A)+\sup(B)[/tex]

Let [itex]\{a_n+b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}[/itex] be a sequence in A+B converging to sup(A+B) [show such a sequence must exist if you haven't done it already]. Then clearly, [itex]a_n\leq\sup(A)[/itex] and [itex]b_n\leq\sup(B)[/itex] for all n, hence.... (you finish)

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    Thanks for the help! Let's see if I got it...

limsup(a_n + b_n) = sup(A + B) = lim(a_n + b_n) = lim(a_n) + lim(b_n). Since (a_n), (b_n) are <= sup(A), sup(B), respectively, then so are lim(a_n) and lim(b_n). So we have limsup(a_n + b_n) <= sup(A) + sup(B). But we have sup(A) = sup(a_n) = limsup(a_n) and sup(B) = sup(b_n) = limsup(b_n).

Finally, we get limsup(a_n + b_n) <= limsup(a_n) + limsup(b_n).

Is this correct, or am I assuming too much? Thanks again.

7. Apr 22, 2008 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are assuming way too much and complicating things way too much. And I also think you'Re confusing the problems at hand.

First concentrate on proving the little lemma I outlined for you (namely, for A, B two arbitrary sets of real numbers, [itex]\sup(A+B)\leq \sup(A)+\sup(B)[/itex]), and then worry about solving your problem involving limsups of the sequence s_n and t_n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?