Calorimetry: Calculate Specific Heat, Atomic Weight, Heat of Solution & Reaction

• Thread starter purpletouch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calorimetry
In summary, the conversation involves three different calculations related to calorimetry and chemical reactions. These include calculating the specific heat and atomic weight of a metal, the heat of solution of a salt, and the heat of reaction of a chemical reaction. The first calculation involves heating a metal and measuring the temperature change in water, while the second calculation involves adding a salt to water and measuring the temperature change. The third calculation involves mixing solutions of different substances and measuring the temperature change. The conversation also mentions using the rule of Dulong and Petit and given values for the heat of formation and molecular mass of the salt. The person is having trouble with the calculations for B, D, and E and is unsure how to incorporate limiting reagent into the equation
purpletouch
to the admin. pls. don't delete this i figure it be easier to understand this if it's set up this way because its a prelab.thanks

I. 89.7716 g of metal were heated to 99.8 °C and poured into a calorimeter containing 46.20 g of water at 28.45 °C.
After stirring, the temperature of the water rose rapidly to 36.25 °C before slowly starting to fall.
Calculate:
a) The Specific Heat of the metal _____________
b) The Atomic Weight _____________
Calculated using the rule of Dulong and Petit

II. To a calorimeter containing 48.80 g of water at 28.85 °C, 7.0545 g of a salt was added with stirring. As the salt dissolved, the temperature rapidly changed to 31.45 °C before slowly returning to room temperature.
Calculate:
c) The Heat of Solution ______________

Given that the Heat of Formation of the solid salt is... -180.59 Kj/mol
and the Molecular Mass of the solid salt is... 143.69 g/mol
Calculate:
d) The Heat of Formation of the Solution ______________ Kj/mol

III. Given the reaction... AAA + BBB ---> CCC
You add to a calorimeter 8.0 mL of 5.65 M AAA, 5.0 mL of water, and 12.0 mL of 5.51 M BBB. All of the above solutions were initially at 29.10 °C. After mixing, the temperature changed to 30.60 °C.
Assume the density of all solutions is 1.000 g/mL and all solutions have the same specific heat as pure water.
Calculate:
e) The Heat of Reaction in Kj/mol ______________

i don't know how to get B D and E

for A i got .264
for B i divided .264 from 6 but the answer is wrong. i tried it with 6.2 but it I'm still not getting the right answer
C=-75.180
D. i really don't have a clue
E. I'm given this formula but I'm stuck on limiting reagant
(Volume in mL)(Molarity) = millimoles
VolumeHCl + VolumeNaOH+ Volumewater = Volumeliquids
Temperaturefinal-Temperatureinitial = Temp. Changeliquids
(Massliquids)(-Temp. Changeliquids)(4.18 j/gºC) = Energy Change
Energy Change/[(1000 j/Kj)(Moles of Limiting Reagent)] = DH Reaction

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
purpletouch said:
for A i got .264

Can you show how you got that? And please include units. I think you did a unit conversion incorrectly, but without seeing your work and what units you mean to use, there is no way to tell.

Dear admin, thank you for providing clear instructions for the prelab. I will do my best to assist you with your calculations for calorimetry.

a) The Specific Heat of the metal can be calculated using the formula q = mCΔT, where q is the heat absorbed by the water, m is the mass of the water, C is the specific heat of water (4.18 J/g°C), and ΔT is the change in temperature of the water. Rearranging this formula, we get C = q/(mΔT). Plugging in the values given, we get C = (46.20 g)(4.18 J/g°C)(36.25 °C - 28.45 °C)/(89.7716 g)(99.8 °C - 36.25 °C) = 0.264 J/g°C. Therefore, the specific heat of the metal is 0.264 J/g°C.

b) The Atomic Weight of the metal can be calculated using the rule of Dulong and Petit, which states that the atomic weight of an element is equal to the product of its specific heat and its atomic mass. In this case, the specific heat (0.264 J/g°C) and atomic mass are given, so we can calculate the atomic weight by dividing the specific heat by the atomic mass. Therefore, the atomic weight of the metal is 0.264 J/g°C divided by 6 g/mol = 0.044 g/J.

c) The Heat of Solution can be calculated using the formula ΔH = q/m, where q is the heat absorbed by the water and m is the mass of the salt added. In this case, the heat absorbed by the water can be calculated using the formula q = mcΔT, where m is the mass of the water, c is the specific heat of water (4.18 J/g°C), and ΔT is the change in temperature of the water. Plugging in the values given, we get q = (48.80 g)(4.18 J/g°C)(31.45°C - 28.85°C) = 439.16 J. Therefore, the Heat of Solution is ΔH = 439.16 J/7.0545 g = -62.18 J/g.

d) The Heat of Formation of the Solution can be calculated using the formula ΔH = ΔHf° + n

1. What is calorimetry?

Calorimetry is a scientific technique used to measure the amount of heat released or absorbed during a physical or chemical process. It involves using a calorimeter, a device that measures changes in temperature, to determine the amount of heat involved in a reaction or process.

2. How do you calculate specific heat?

Specific heat is calculated by dividing the amount of heat added or removed from a substance by its mass and the change in temperature. The formula for specific heat is Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat added or removed, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. How is atomic weight determined using calorimetry?

Atomic weight can be determined by using calorimetry to measure the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. This heat can then be used to calculate the number of atoms involved in the reaction. By comparing this number to the known number of atoms in a mole of the substance, the atomic weight can be determined.

4. What is the heat of solution?

The heat of solution is the amount of heat released or absorbed when a substance dissolves in a solvent. This can be measured using calorimetry by adding the substance to a known amount of solvent and measuring the change in temperature. The heat of solution is important in understanding the energetics of dissolution processes.

5. How does calorimetry help in determining the heat of a reaction?

Calorimetry is used to measure the change in temperature during a chemical reaction. By knowing the mass and specific heat of the substances involved, the heat of the reaction can be calculated using the formula Q = m x c x ΔT. This helps in understanding the energy changes that occur during a reaction and can be used to determine the enthalpy of the reaction.