Reconciling Simultaneity & Relativity: Navigating the Spacetime Maze

In summary, according to relativity, one cannot talk of simultaneity, but one can talk of a slice of spacetime to be space where all the points are at the same time. Also, tunneling does not involve causality.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Oops, forgot to finish the title, but don't see how I can edit it. Sorry.

How does one reconcile the idea that, according to relativity, one cannot talk of simultaneity, yet one can talk of a slice of spacetime to be space where all the points are at the same time?

That is my main question. While I am at it, can one say that a particle could stop existing at one point and instantaneously (?) start appearing at another (not constrained by causality) ? Not only does the problem of "instantaneous" appear again, but since the only thing that is going to distinguish one particle (OK, excitation of the field) from another with otherwise identical characteristics (Energy, charge, spin, etc.) is going to be its positions in spacetime, but if now that changes, how can one say that this is the same particle that reappeared?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you want as title? I can edit it.
nomadreid said:
according to relativity, one cannot talk of simultaneity
Of course you can. It just depends on your reference frame.
nomadreid said:
While I am at it, can one say that a particle could stop existing at one point and instantaneously (?) start appearing at another (not constrained by causality) ?
No, that would violate causality (and local energy conservation).

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
one cannot talk of simultaneity,
Two events are simultaneous in a given frame if they have the same ##t## coordinate using inertial coordinates assigned by that frame That's a definition. It works just fine in special relativity (although It needs some rephrasing in terms of "simultaneity conventions" before it will work with general relativity).

Thus, there is no reason why one "cannot talk of simultaneity". You just have to understand that events may be simultaneous on one frame but not in another, because the two frames assign ##t## coordinates differently.

Likes nomadreid
Thank you, mfb and Nugatory.

The title was meant to be "simultaneity: forbidden by relativity but referred to anyway". Although your answers show that the title expresses a mistaken notion, nonetheless it might be useful for others who are looking through the forum with the same mistaken notion. So, mfb, if you could edit it, that would be appreciated.

So: about the simultaneity, I now understand. (Nugatory: I have looked up the simultaneity conventions you mentioned.) Many thanks to both of you.

As far as something stopping to exist in one place and reappearing in another, Nugatory says that this is impossible. But I thought that this was the whole point of tunneling (which does not involve causality). For example, when an electron changes orbit (or, phrased differently, when there is a shift in the statistical distribution that we call the electron ), we say that it is the same electron, no?

To have tunneling, the particles cannot have a single well-defined position to start with. All changes to the wave function in quantum mechanics can be expressed as continuous and local transformations.

Likes nomadreid
mfb said:
To have tunneling, the particles cannot have a single well-defined position to start with. .

Thanks, this is starting to make sense.

mfb said:
All changes to the wave function in quantum mechanics can be expressed as continuous and local transformations..

Even wave function collapse? Or should that be replaced by a smooth decoherence or a many-worlds interpretation to make it smooth?

Collapses are a weird feature of some interpretations of quantum mechanics. There is no equation for the evolution of wave functions that would include anything like a collapse. Just keep applying quantum mechanics and you get smooth decoherence, and MWI if you don't add anything else.

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
As far as something stopping to exist in one place and reappearing in another, Nugatory says that this is impossible. But I thought that this was the whole point of tunneling (which does not involve causality).

Whoa! Back up a bit. What is it about "tunneling" that doesn't involve causality?

Is this another one of those myths that tunneling is when a particle disappears from existence on one side of the barrier, and then pops back into existence on the other side? If it is, then this is wrong!

Zz.

Likes nomadreid
ZapperZ said:
Is this another one of those myths that tunneling is when a particle disappears from existence on one side of the barrier, and then pops back into existence on the other side? If it is, then this is wrong!
Correct, it is wrong. I think mfb put this to rest when he replied
mfb said:
To have tunneling, the particles cannot have a single well-defined position to start with.

So, to answer
ZapperZ said:
What is it about "tunneling" that doesn't involve causality?
the reply is: nothing. Mea culpa.

But putting up my false conception did lead to these replies which pushed me to look up the relevant facts, so I do not regret posting them, and I thank you both for putting me straight.

Related to Reconciling Simultaneity & Relativity: Navigating the Spacetime Maze

1. How does the concept of simultaneity fit into the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the concept of simultaneity, or events occurring at the same time, is relative and can vary depending on the observer's perspective. In other words, what is simultaneous for one observer may not be simultaneous for another observer in a different frame of reference.

2. How does the spacetime continuum affect the concept of simultaneity?

The spacetime continuum, as described by the theory of relativity, unifies space and time into a four-dimensional framework. This means that events that appear to happen at the same time in one frame of reference may not appear simultaneous in another frame due to the relative motion and differences in the perception of time between the observers.

3. Can simultaneity be defined in an absolute sense?

No, according to the theory of relativity, simultaneity cannot be defined in an absolute sense. This is because time is relative and can be affected by factors such as motion and gravity. Therefore, what may be considered simultaneous for one observer may not be simultaneous for another observer in a different frame of reference.

4. How does the concept of spacetime curvature affect the perception of simultaneity?

The concept of spacetime curvature, also known as gravity, can affect the perception of simultaneity. As objects with mass create a curvature in spacetime, the perception of time can be distorted. This means that events that may appear simultaneous in a flat spacetime may not be simultaneous in a curved spacetime due to the effects of gravity.

5. Can the concept of simultaneity be reconciled with the theory of relativity?

Yes, the concept of simultaneity can be reconciled with the theory of relativity by understanding and accepting that it is relative and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. By considering time as a fourth dimension in the spacetime continuum, we can better understand how events can appear simultaneous for one observer but not for another. It is important to remember that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their perception of simultaneity.