Reducing a circuit to a single impendence value

In summary, the conversation is about finding Vout over a range of frequencies by equating Vin to Vout using equivalent impedances. The person has some python code to handle the numbers but wants to make sure their algebra and circuit reduction are correct. Another person points out a missing bridge in the second to last diagram and suggests measuring voltage across Vin to Vout. The person realizes their mistake and asks for help with reducing the circuit.
cowmoo32

Homework Statement

Find Vout over a range of frequencies

Homework Equations

V = IZ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to equate Vin to Vout using equivalent impedences. I have some python code to handle the numbers but want to be sure my algebra and circuit reudction are correct because I'm getting good-ish values from the script but I'm still not positive they're right.

Click for full res

edit: I just saw that I'm missing a bridge between the upper and lower lines on the second to last diagram. ZEQ and Z3 should be in parallel.
6TfCSyGl.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cowmoo32, I'm no expert, but it looks like in your equivalent circuit(2nd circuit, that is) R3 and C1 have the same current, but in the first circut it's clear that R3's current is 'higher' than C1's.

I could kick myself. For some reason I've had it in my head that the voltage drop would be across the two Vin leads and the two Vout leads, but you're right. I should be measuring voltage across Vin to Vout.

edit: Seeing that makes things even harder. Now I have no idea how to reduce it.

Last edited:
Does this work?
MBNcHyYl.jpg

Hi. Well, I don't see why Z1 and ZR1 are parallel.

Right again. It was a long day yesterday. Thanks!

Related to Reducing a circuit to a single impendence value

1. What is meant by reducing a circuit to a single impedance value?

Reducing a circuit to a single impedance value means simplifying a complex circuit with multiple components into a single equivalent impedance. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of the circuit's behavior.

2. Why is it important to reduce a circuit to a single impedance value?

Reducing a circuit to a single impedance value helps to simplify circuit analysis and make it easier to understand and troubleshoot. It also allows for easier calculation of voltage and current in the circuit.

3. How is a circuit reduced to a single impedance value?

A circuit can be reduced to a single impedance value by using various methods such as series and parallel impedance combinations, Thevenin's theorem, and Norton's theorem. These methods involve simplifying the circuit and finding the equivalent impedance using Ohm's law.

4. What factors affect the impedance value of a circuit?

The impedance value of a circuit is affected by the type and number of components in the circuit, their values, and their arrangement (series or parallel). The frequency of the current flowing through the circuit also plays a role in determining the impedance value.

5. Can a circuit be reduced to a single impedance value for any frequency?

No, a circuit can only be reduced to a single impedance value for a specific frequency or range of frequencies. This is because the impedance of components such as capacitors and inductors varies with frequency, so the equivalent impedance of the circuit will also vary. Therefore, it is important to specify the frequency when reducing a circuit to a single impedance value.