Decelerating Electrons & Releasing Energy: Reflector Plate Grid Dynamics

In summary, the grid decelerates the returning electrons, and they release their energy to the grid when the grid field provides maximum deceleration.
neeraj kaira
When the beam of electrons reflect back to the grid due to the repeller voltage in reflector plate ,how the grid decelerates the returning electrons ?? And how they release their energy to the grid ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there :)

Have a read of this explanation of the operation of a reflex Klystron

http://www.tpub.com/neets/book11/45d.htm

but quickly from the document to answer your 2 questions below ...
how the grid decelerates the returning electrons ??
"The resonator potential also causes the resonant cavity to begin oscillating at its natural frequency when the tube is energized. These oscillations cause an electrostatic field across the grid gap of the cavity that changes direction at the frequency of the cavity. The changing electrostatic field affects the electrons in the beam as they pass through the grid gap. Some are accelerated and some are decelerated, depending upon the polarity of the electrostatic field as they pass through the gap. "
And how they release their energy to the grid ?

not released to the grid, but to the field around the grid...

"When the grid field provides maximum deceleration, the returning electrons release maximum energy to the grid field which is in phase with cavity current. Thus, the returning electrons supply the regenerative feedback required to maintain cavity oscillations."cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Some are accelerated and some are decelerated but how? Plzz explain sir m totally confused :( :/

According to this figure the grid provides maximum acceleration to the electrons when it is at positive peak...

Attachments

• 1415851025942.jpg
    1415851025942.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 457
now when the beam of electrons are repelled back to grid to suffer maximum deceleration so as to release their energy to the grid ...and according to figure the electrons reached the grid when it is at the same positive peak? How it is possible? In first time the grid provides acceleration to the electrons and in second time it provide deceleration...at the same positive voltage... :/

Attachments

• 1415851208254.jpg
    1415851208254.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 452
Ans please m waiting :(

Likes davenn
No one is replying :(

neeraj kaira said:
Ans please m waiting :(
You cannot demand rapid responses. If you get shirty / over demanding about it you will get none!

The slowing down and speeding up effect on the electrons is due to the voltages across the gap in the resonant cavity. At resonance, the initial bunches of electrons go out to the reflector and arrive back at the cavity in the right phase for their energy to be matched back into the cavity in 'impulses.
A normal two cavity klystron is easier to understand first, where you input a signal into one cavity and an amplified signal emerges from the output cavity. In a reflex klystron, one cavity does the job of two cavities, in effect.
The main thing to understand about the way a klystron works is that the electron beam is velocity modulated, initially and then, during the time in the drift space, the electrons become bunched in waves (density modulated). Energy from the KE of the input electron beam gets transformed into RF energy and amplification takes place.

Thanku sir n last question please... How d K.E of electrons gets transformed to r.f energy?

neeraj kaira said:
Thanku sir n last question please... How d K.E of electrons gets transformed to r.f energy?
Have you looked up any Klystron theory? It's subtle. Imo, it's not the KE of the electrons that get transformed, it is the fact that they bunch together - producing a varying density of charge - which corresponds to electrical potential variations (at RF) across the gap in the cavity. If you let the electron beam go on for ever, the electron bunches will spread out again, resulting in velocity modulation again - and so on and so on. There is an optimum drift length for the Klystron to amplify.

Ya i hv read multi cavity magnetron, klystron two cavity klystron reflex klystron but in my books it was not mentioned i even searchd on google but still not get that ...thatsy i asked..

neeraj kaira said:
Ya i hv read multi cavity magnetron, klystron two cavity klystron reflex klystron but in my books it was not mentioned i even searchd on google but still not get that ...thatsy i asked..
Too subtle for people to get involved with at that level, perhaps? It's quite amazing when you think that the efficiency can be over 50%, iirc.

And sir i was hoping for a quick Reply not demanding i was just requesting... Bdw thanks a lot.
Good evening.

It's an interesting topic an I'm impressed that you've been thinking so deeply about the Energy aspect.
See also the mechanism of a Travelling Wave Tube.

Ya sir m a electronics student n too much interested in microwave. N traveling wave tube is in my syllabus also :) thankuh so much

Last edited:
I asked this question to my teachers,friends n my senior's but unfortunately they r nt capable of answering dis

By the way, the rules of PF do not permit people to post using 'text' spelling. It is considered bad form and many people will be reluctant to answer you if you use it. Try to stick to proper English - as a matter of courtesy.

1. How do decelerating electrons release energy?

Decelerating electrons release energy through a process called bremsstrahlung, or braking radiation. As the electrons come into contact with the reflector plate grid, they experience a force that slows them down. This deceleration causes them to emit electromagnetic radiation, releasing energy in the form of photons.

2. What factors influence the dynamics of the reflector plate grid?

The dynamics of the reflector plate grid are influenced by several factors, including the strength and orientation of the electric field, the material and thickness of the reflector plates, and the speed and energy of the incoming electrons. These factors can affect the deceleration of the electrons and the resulting release of energy.

3. How does the reflector plate grid affect the direction of the released energy?

The reflector plate grid is designed to direct the released energy in a specific direction. By controlling the electric field and the placement of the reflector plates, the grid can guide the emitted photons towards a desired target or location.

4. What is the purpose of using a reflector plate grid in the process of decelerating electrons?

The reflector plate grid serves two main purposes in the process of decelerating electrons and releasing energy. Firstly, it helps to focus and direct the released energy towards a specific target. Secondly, it helps to reduce the amount of energy lost during the deceleration process, increasing the efficiency of the system.

5. Can the reflector plate grid be used in other applications besides decelerating electrons?

Yes, the reflector plate grid can be used in various applications that involve controlling the direction and release of energy. For example, it can be used in X-ray machines and particle accelerators to guide and focus the emitted energy. It can also be used in solar panels to reflect and redirect sunlight towards the photovoltaic cells, increasing their efficiency.